Expired

Advice wanted, I’m looking for a cheap satellite receiver which records. I have seen the Openbox V8S. Is this any good?

Found 11th Apr 2015
I’m looking to replace our sky box. I have seen the Openbox V8S. Is this any good? We don’t watch any of the premium channels so just looking for a box that will receive free to air channels and can record.
I have an external hard drive which I could plug i to record what we want to watch.
Ideally looking cheap as possible really as we don't need anything fancy
Thanks for any advice

19 Comments

I've got a V8s and they are a good machine. Can be temperamental on WIFI, so go with hard wired or powerline boxes for best service.

I thought it one had one tuner so only record what you watch?

the v5s also lets you record but only the channel ur on

You don't want any of the 'premium' channels? So why do you need an openbox surely a freesat+ box is what you need. The only reason for Openbox is to illegally obtain Sky channels

humax freesat+ box is what you need.

Original Poster

BarmyBulldog

You don't want any of the 'premium' channels? So why do you need an … You don't want any of the 'premium' channels? So why do you need an openbox surely a freesat+ box is what you need. The only reason for Openbox is to illegally obtain Sky channels

So this box does not get the free to air stuff? Or is that just a generic ignorent comment?
I'll be getting Netflix or the Amazon Prime when we want anything extra thats not available normally

Original Poster

cliosport65

humax freesat+ box is what you need.

I read that the Humax boxes were good however they are money than I was looking to spend. From what I can see the cheaper boxes, the 1's without hard drives, dont alliw you to record via usb. Unless Im missing something

Original Poster

Teezgaff

I've got a V8s and they are a good machine. Can be temperamental on WIFI, … I've got a V8s and they are a good machine. Can be temperamental on WIFI, so go with hard wired or powerline boxes for best service.

I have a wired connection already so thats ok. Do you have to have an internet connection for it to work, I thought that the signal came through the satellite dish?

Lemmin83

So this box does not get the free to air stuff? Or is that just a generic … So this box does not get the free to air stuff? Or is that just a generic ignorent comment?I'll be getting Netflix or the Amazon Prime when we want anything extra thats not available normally

No my question is why would you want an Openbox which is basically illegal Sky when you only want the free to view channels i.e Freesat anyway

You aren't gaining anything by getting an Openbox the software and UI is far greater on a Humax for example

What is the price of an openbox unit?
What is the price of a HUMAX Freesat unit?

Lemmin83

I have a wired connection already so thats ok. Do you have to have an … I have a wired connection already so thats ok. Do you have to have an internet connection for it to work, I thought that the signal came through the satellite dish?

Yes signal does come through sat. The V8s box has Web TV, YouTube + is DNLA compliant. (The reason for internet connection)

Original Poster

Thanks for the advice guys. The Open box was £40 and Humax HB-1000S £75. Using Flubbit I decided to go for the Humax as support for the Open box was hit and miss.

BarmyBulldog

No my question is why would you want an Openbox which is basically … No my question is why would you want an Openbox which is basically illegal Sky when you only want the free to view channels i.e Freesat anywayYou aren't gaining anything by getting an Openbox the software and UI is far greater on a Humax for example

You make openbox what you want it to be.
combined with a motorised dish, you can get lots of free to air European channels.
fact: it is not illegal to own or sell it

Can Openbox be veiwed through my sky dish even tho i have cancelled my sky subscription...???

c_tazz

Can Openbox be veiwed through my sky dish even tho i have cancelled my … Can Openbox be veiwed through my sky dish even tho i have cancelled my sky subscription...???

Yep

With open box you can update the channel list, and enter a free cline which basically gives you all sky channels for nothing, but is illegal

Lemmin83

I read that the Humax boxes were good however they are money than I was … I read that the Humax boxes were good however they are money than I was looking to spend. From what I can see the cheaper boxes, the 1's without hard drives, dont alliw you to record via usb. Unless Im missing something

​there is no reason on earth what so ever anyone in there right mind would choose a openbox to only watch free to air channels.. there's only one thing there used for.

I understand the OP here, and wish to ask the same question, but differently. We have a Holiday Home in Spain, where we have a satellite dish, and a SD Satellite box, but want to record from time to time if we are out. The Openbox is the cheapest I can find which will allow recording with a HDD. We have a 3mb internet connection, which the router is close enough to be wired, but sometimes it is no so fast, so will the normal Freesat channels work without an internet connection into the Openbox. I may wish to investigate its greater use in the future, but for now, am looking at a cheapest way to record Freesat.
Edited by: "donny-gal" 20th Nov 2015

3mb won't cut it. needs a faster connection.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions