Advice wanted on getting the best deal from Sky.....

25 replies
Found 6th Jul 2009
We already have sky+ full package & multiroom & now want to change our broadband & phone over to sky.
What's the best number to phone as i just phoned & spoke to someone who didn't have a clue what broadband we'd be able to get here & blamed it on the BT system :?
I've done the online check & we can only get is this:
Connect - Up to 8 Mb1 download speed / 768Kb1 upload speed
40GB per month usage allowance
£17 per month.
We're interested in getting a hd box too. So any advice on what Sky number is best to call & what to say to get the best package will be great

1. Misc
  2. Sky
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Sky
25 Comments

i had to ring each department seperately last week, the tv people couldn't do phone , the phone lot couldn't do broadband. i just got the number off a recent letter or the net. got through quickly each time, lots of choices for each one.

I looked into this myself last week - if you get HD they will give you free line rental for 1 year..
the saynoto0870 web site is a little out of date with regards to $ky as none of the numbers they list work. so you are stuck with using the numbers listed on the sky web site.

at the moment on sky tv I have everything except movies and pay around £40
Virgin do my broadband and 24/7 free calls @£20
BT for line rental £12 ???

if I switched everything to sky and got HD it would cost
TV = £40 + £10 for HD
Broadband & 24/7 calls £10
line rental £0 for first year - so £60 for me.

Original Poster

Captain Hook;5674076

I looked into this myself last week - if you get HD they will give you … I looked into this myself last week - if you get HD they will give you free line rental for 1 year..the saynoto0870 web site is a little out of date with regards to $ky as none of the numbers they list work. so you are stuck with using the numbers listed on the sky web site.

what price did they offer you a hd box for?

just call them 08442 410 564 and ask what offers they have on the package you want , then say , oh thats alot ill think about it , and go to hang up , and voila they should start to come down on there price , and you will ahve a great package at a great price

at the mo on there site is free calls , free broadband and £49 for hd

packages.sky.com/?CM…rch

Original Poster

nikkit72;5674096

just call them 08442 410 564 and ask what offers they have on the … just call them 08442 410 564 and ask what offers they have on the package you want , then say , oh thats alot ill think about it , and go to hang up , and voila they should start to come down on there price , and you will ahve a great package at a great price at the mo on there site is free calls , free broadband and £49 for hd http://packages.sky.com/?CMP=KNC-UKesalesSearch

thanks nikkit :thumbsup: although we can't get free broadband from them as in our area we can only get the connect package :-(

cheerleader;5674095

what price did they offer you a hd box for?

£50 & free install

Original Poster

Captain Hook;5674076

I looked into this myself last week - if you get HD they will give you … I looked into this myself last week - if you get HD they will give you free line rental for 1 year..the saynoto0870 web site is a little out of date with regards to $ky as none of the numbers they list work. so you are stuck with using the numbers listed on the sky web site.at the moment on sky tv I have everything except movies and pay around £40Virgin do my broadband and 24/7 free calls @£20BT for line rental £12 ???if I switched everything to sky and got HD it would costTV = £40 + £10 for HDBroadband & 24/7 calls £10line rental £0 for first year - so £60 for me.

did they charge you broadband connection fee?
what number did you call? thanks :thumbsup:

cheerleader;5674186

did they charge you broadband connection fee?what number did you call? … did they charge you broadband connection fee?what number did you call? thanks :thumbsup:

Haven't actualy done it yet.. Virgin made me a nice offer to keep my broadband and phone with them.. I haven't phoned sky regarding switching yet, I just priced everything on their web site so I don't know if there's any hidden charges.. I found out about the saynoto0870 web site when I phoned sky to change my TV package sp probably not the same number you need

sky line rental is due to go up soon as well i think, to £11.

kj23;5674299

sky line rental is due to go up soon as well i think, to £11.

Not seen that one, but the TV packages are due to go up in September, and then again in January (when VAT goes back up). BB packages are changing too (more in terms of speed/usage rather than price iirc).

Original Poster

just got off the phone to the sky number nikkit72 put on here & all they would so is half price line rental for 6 months :-(
anyone know of any better numbers to call to get good deals? is it worth me going to cancellations & adjusting my package in hope that they will offer me a better deal? :?

cheerleader;5674345

just got off the phone to the sky number nikkit72 put on here & all they … just got off the phone to the sky number nikkit72 put on here & all they would so is half price line rental for 6 months :-(anyone know of any better numbers to call to get good deals? is it worth me going to cancellations & adjusting my package in hope that they will offer me a better deal? :?

That seems to be all they are offering now, I wish I took last weeks offer now :x

Don't know if it still works, but if you call and ask to speak to the Program Advisory Team, they are normally best for getting discounts on your susbcription package. It used to be 20% off for 6 months, which I know isn't a lot, but helps if they're only offering you 1/2 price line rental rather than free line rental.

cheerleader;5674116

thanks nikkit :thumbsup: although we can't get free broadband from them … thanks nikkit :thumbsup: although we can't get free broadband from them as in our area we can only get the connect package :-(

Check out [url]www.samknows.com[/url]
You'll be able to find out if and when your local telephone exchange is due for upgrading.

If you get upgraded and your on the connect package you get automatically switched to the middle package at the lower price.

Try Virgin media, we've had it for years,can't fault their broadband deal. Don't know cost of their sky deal but my friend has left sky and get's it all form Virgin cheaper. Another good thing with Virgin broad band you can get a great deal on mobile phones too. I have a free mobile, 300 mins to any phone and 300 texts all for £10 a month and no contract ! Got the mrs same deal but sim only.

Oh and as Sky (and most other companies) rent the equiptment / lines from the BT exchanges, its the BT software they use to check the line.

There are 2 possible reasons why they couldnt check the line there and then:
A: the BT checker was down
B: BT were currently working on that exchange (either manually or remotely)

Usually (9 cases out of 10) resolves itself within 24 hours.

Hope that helps

Further thought:

If your exchange is enabled but it just so happens to be sold out at the moment, you can get a deal on the connect package for the first 12 months which makes it the same price as the middle package.

As soon as theres a spare slot, you get switched over to the middle package automatically

Original Poster

angelkelly;5674604

Check out ]www.samknows.comYou'll be able to find out if and when your … Check out ]www.samknows.comYou'll be able to find out if and when your local telephone exchange is due for upgrading.If you get upgraded and your on the connect package you get automatically switched to the middle package at the lower price.

which option do you need to check on samknows to find out when my local telephone exchange is due for upgrading as i can't find it :?

Original Poster

cheerleader;5674898

which option do you need to check on samknows to find out when my local … which option do you need to check on samknows to find out when my local telephone exchange is due for upgrading as i can't find it :?

ooh i found this
19/10/2006 BT have set a target date of Q2 2010 for the switch to 21CN
is that what i should have been looking for?

cheerleader;5674965

ooh i found this19/10/2006 BT have set a target date of Q2 2010 … ooh i found this19/10/2006 BT have set a target date of Q2 2010 for the switch to 21CN is that what i should have been looking for?

Yep so Quarter 2 next year

ie they estimate you'll be upgraded sometime before June, so if you can get a decent 1 year deal on connect (sometimes they will give it you same price as mid for 1st year) then by this time next year you'll be good to go to any bb of their you want.

I phoned sky last night to see what i could get out of them, hoping for hd.

At the moment we have a sky+ box, 4 mixes and sky sports package with 25% off.
Broadband £5, sky talk half price at £5.

I spoke to the retentions team saying i wasn't happy with the problems we were having with the current sky+ box, ie getting technical errors now and again etc and the fact virgin were offering us a good deal to move.

I was very pleasant to the lady on the phone, having a laugh with her and being very cheeky etc.
At first the 2 offers she could give me was a half price callout for an engineer to service and possibly swap the sky+ box at £35 or sky hd at £29 for the box and £30 for installation.

I said neither were that good an offer for a loyal customer of 8 years.
The price slowly came down to £50 for hd, still not good enough so the conversation went on and on....

Anyway, 42 minutes later, a few sob stories and me being the nice person i am, they obviously didn't want to lose me as a customer, so i am having sky hd installed this saturday between 12-5 for a cost of £15 !!!!!!!!!!!

Once again, a great result with sky.

It can be done guys, just keep on at them, say you keep having technical difficulties rather than just saying ur bored of sky and moving to virgin or whatever, speak nicely, have some banter with them and keep your fingers crossed you get a nice person on the other end, if not just try again.

Happy days

Original Poster

smithyp1;5684432

I phoned sky last night to see what i could get out of them, hoping for … I phoned sky last night to see what i could get out of them, hoping for hd.At the moment we have a sky+ box, 4 mixes and sky sports package with 25% off.Broadband £5, sky talk half price at £5.I spoke to the retentions team saying i wasn't happy with the problems we were having with the current sky+ box, ie getting technical errors now and again etc and the fact virgin were offering us a good deal to move.I was very pleasant to the lady on the phone, having a laugh with her and being very cheeky etc.At first the 2 offers she could give me was a half price callout for an engineer to service and possibly swap the sky+ box at £35 or sky hd at £29 for the box and £30 for installation.I said neither were that good an offer for a loyal customer of 8 years.The price slowly came down to £50 for hd, still not good enough so the conversation went on and on....Anyway, 42 minutes later, a few sob stories and me being the nice person i am, they obviously didn't want to lose me as a customer, so i am having sky hd installed this saturday between 12-5 for a cost of £15 !!!!!!!!!!!Once again, a great result with sky.It can be done guys, just keep on at them, say you keep having technical difficulties rather than just saying ur bored of sky and moving to virgin or whatever, speak nicely, have some banter with them and keep your fingers crossed you get a nice person on the other end, if not just try again.Happy days

cool :thumbsup: what number did you call for retentions?

cheerleader;5699953

cool :thumbsup: what number did you call for retentions?

I phoned 08442 415 161 and selected the options to get through as if i was going to cancel my sky.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Original Poster

smithyp1;5700725

I phoned 08442 415 161 and selected the options to get through as if i … I phoned 08442 415 161 and selected the options to get through as if i was going to cancel my sky.Good luck :thumbsup:

The only people that get a good deal with Sky Broadband are those that have Sky enabled LLU exchanges, if not, look elsewhere.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…18226645
    2. Highway code and use of indicators (or lack thereof)4075
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769478
    4. Anger over Donald Trump's UK crime tweet2455

See more discussions