advice wanted out of date product from sainsburys

Found 30th Jul 2012
I recently purchased few boxes of regain for women products
when i was buying the product the expiry dates seemed out of date so i asked the shop assistand if it was expired. he himself wasnt sure so he took the product away to ask his managers.
he came back and said the product was in date and was written in an american way etc.

I emailed regain for women and surprisingly the dates were 2 years out of date.
I rang sainsburys on friday and spoke with the deputy store manager and they said to me bring the stuff back and we will refund you back.
Ive not even got call back from the store manager who actually said it was ok to use and the dates were fine.
is there anything more i can do??

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
34 Comments

Banned

BBC Watchdog

Let me guess, you want to take them to court for to get thousands for absolutely no reason other than to profit from a small mistake.

I've got some advice for you. GET A JOB!

Call Sainsbury's Careline: 0800 636 262
http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/sol/contact_us/contact_us.jsp

They've been great on the couple of occasions I've had a problem.
Edited by: "MBeeching" 30th Jul 2012

Original Poster

jonny619447

Let me guess, you want to take them to court for to get thousands for … Let me guess, you want to take them to court for to get thousands for absolutely no reason other than to profit from a small mistake. I've got some advice for you. GET A JOB!

IVE GOT A JOB THX AND IVE NEVER CLAIMED JOBSEEKERS ALSO THX
and i think you should keep your nose out if you cant be of any help!

am just curious what can be done as an eldery women could have had her hands on this product and caused harm.
am only asking for peoples opnion on here as i feel the store manager is not doing his job propley as his advice was its not out of date and his not had a decency to call me to explain.

Original Poster

MBeeching

Call Sainsbury's Careline: 0800 636 … Call Sainsbury's Careline: 0800 636 262http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/sol/contact_us/contact_us.jspThey've been great on the couple of occasions I've had a problem.

thx will give them a try

realblender

I would take them to the small claims court. I had a similar situation … I would take them to the small claims court. I had a similar situation with some hair gell that was way past its best before date. In the the shop settled out of court and I made £200. Just put some effort into it.

Was it a "Best before" date... not an "Expiry Date"?

khalifazed

...he came back and said the product was in date and was written in an … ...he came back and said the product was in date and was written in an american way etc...

How can an "american way" be two years different from the UK format?

Was the date just a "month/year", for example, 05/10 (May 2010), & the staff thought this was 5 October (2012)?
Edited by: "fanpages" 30th Jul 2012

Your spending £25 a pop on hair replacement formulas for women?

Just return and get a replacement.

Bloody dollys these days.

Take them back for a refund & stop being a pain in the ass.

Too much American thinking going on these days - its an honest mistake, swap the product or get a refund.

To be fair though, its probably fine to take now anyway.................

khalifazed

IVE GOT A JOB THX AND IVE NEVER CLAIMED JOBSEEKERS ALSO THX

THX?? Do you mean thanks?

Post pic of date.

jonny619447

Let me guess, you want to take them to court for to get thousands for … Let me guess, you want to take them to court for to get thousands for absolutely no reason other than to profit from a small mistake. I've got some advice for you. GET A JOB!

Lot of assumptions you're making there. True sign of a dribbling simpleton. I often wonder if people like you stagger around the streets all day telling dogs and pigeons to 'GET A JOB' (always in caps, another sign of the cognitively impaired).

Lazy animals, come over ere steelin our jobs n women, not doing any work, having litters of puppies at the taxpayers expense, they're avin a larff...

You giant spackman.
Edited by: "spaceinvader" 30th Jul 2012

spaceinvader

Lot of assumptions you're making there. True sign of a dribbling … Lot of assumptions you're making there. True sign of a dribbling simpleton. I often wonder if people like you stagger around the streets all day telling dogs and pigeons to 'GET A JOB' (always in caps, another sign of the cognitively impaired). Lazy animals, come over ere steelin our jobs n women, not doing any work, having litters of puppies at the taxpayers expense, they're avin a larff...You giant spackman.

Nigerian with a race card and bent lawyer?

Razor sharp wit too, you are quite the package.

spaceinvader

Razor sharp wit too, you are quite the package.

Funnily enough the missus says that as well. I suppose it must be true.

This happened to a woman who works in my dad's office a few years ago. She did pretty much the exact same as yourself - bought hair products, they turned out to be out of date, so she reported the issue to Sainsbury's, who BS'd her, then were quite rude in their dismissiveness of the case. "Oh, just bring it back and we'll refund it" isn't really a satisfying response, is it?

She was basically just being snubbed by Sainsbury's. They were barely fulfilling the least of their obligations, so for the woman, she'd have to jump through hoops and pay her own transport and lose her own personal time and etc, for nothing but to get back to square one with the product. She contemplated taking them to Small Claims to seek recompense for her travel and personal time, but then her brother, who's a solicitor, came up with a far better plan.

The plan was to shoot one's self in the foot. Quite literally. I mean, not literally in the sense of pulling a gun and capping one's self, but in the sense that the ideal solution would be to somehow damage herself with the defective product that she'd bought. So, she and her brother set about googling the product, to find what its effects would be if it was used after it had past its use-by date. Google proved fruitless, so the brother's wife, posing as a chemistry student, emailed the company to enquire. They replied to her that the product would do no harm, but would leave the hair inconsistently treated. Bingo.

So, the brother duly went to the Sainsbury's the woman bought her product from, and found one container at the back of the shelf with a batch number and use-by that matched the stuff his sister had bought. This, the woman returned to the store the very next day, to a customer services desk which duly replaced the product with one from the shelf. She was deliberate not to look at the date of the container in-store. She knew there were cameras present, and these would form part of the plan.

Just to clarify the situation at this point; the woman bought out of date product, and then reported it. Sainsbury's had on record that she had bought out-of-date product. Her brother, with a different surname (thereby making him unconnectable) bought another out-of-date product. His wife emailed under a pseudonym, again, unconnectable. Woman returned the out-of-date product, and was given an in-date product in return. This was all on record, on camera, thanks to in-store CCTV. The paper trail was gold.

The woman then used the product, to the predictably disasterous consequences. The company had actually understated the effect by some margin. Her hair was ruined. Dry, brittle, very inconsistent in colour, and, worst of all, sprinkled with spots of orange. Nothing that couldn't be hidden under a hat, fixed with a couple of applications of dye, and some rounds of an intensive conditioner, mind you. But that's besides the point. Woman, bad hair, hysterical. Emotional distress! Boom, a compensation headshot, if ever there was one. Photos were taken, a local hairdresser was consulted for a statement as 'expert witness', and it was all swiftly emailed to a local no win, no fee lawyer. He took up the case, and put it to Sainsbury's that they could take it to court, where they'd ensure press had a field day (particularly as, through a magnificent stroke of luck, orange is the adopted trademark colour of Sainsbury's, which would make for perfect tabloid fodder), or they could settle out of court for a comfortable figure of £100,000, and no-one would ever speak of it ever again.

Sainsbury's thought about it for a week. And then, a letter arrived at the lawyer's office, by Special Delivery. It contained a cheque, for £100,000.

The first thing the woman spent the money on was intensive conditioner. The second thing was a double-application of chocolate-brown dye, professionally applied by a salon in London by an extremely flamboyant homosexual man. The third thing was a holiday to Spain for all involved (apart from the lawyer, natch), and the fourth was a magical flying pig, whose best friend was a unicorn.

[Insert troll face icon here]

dxx

This happened to a woman who works in my dad's office a few years ago. … This happened to a woman who works in my dad's office a few years ago. She did pretty much the exact same as yourself - bought hair products, they turned out to be out of date, so she reported the issue to Sainsbury's, who BS'd her, then were quite rude in their dismissiveness of the case. "Oh, just bring it back and we'll refund it" isn't really a satisfying response, is it?She was basically just being snubbed by Sainsbury's. They were barely fulfilling the least of their obligations, so for the woman, she'd have to jump through hoops and pay her own transport and lose her own personal time and etc, for nothing but to get back to square one with the product. She contemplated taking them to Small Claims to seek recompense for her travel and personal time, but then her brother, who's a solicitor, came up with a far better plan.The plan was to shoot one's self in the foot. Quite literally. I mean, not literally in the sense of pulling a gun and capping one's self, but in the sense that the ideal solution would be to somehow damage herself with the defective product that she'd bought. So, she and her brother set about googling the product, to find what its effects would be if it was used after it had past its use-by date. Google proved fruitless, so the brother's wife, posing as a chemistry student, emailed the company to enquire. They replied to her that the product would do no harm, but would leave the hair inconsistently treated. Bingo.So, the brother duly went to the Sainsbury's the woman bought her product from, and found one container at the back of the shelf with a batch number and use-by that matched the stuff his sister had bought. This, the woman returned to the store the very next day, to a customer services desk which duly replaced the product with one from the shelf. She was deliberate not to look at the date of the container in-store. She knew there were cameras present, and these would form part of the plan.Just to clarify the situation at this point; the woman bought out of date product, and then reported it. Sainsbury's had on record that she had bought out-of-date product. Her brother, with a different surname (thereby making him unconnectable) bought another out-of-date product. His wife emailed under a pseudonym, again, unconnectable. Woman returned the out-of-date product, and was given an in-date product in return. This was all on record, on camera, thanks to in-store CCTV. The paper trail was gold.The woman then used the product, to the predictably disasterous consequences. The company had actually understated the effect by some margin. Her hair was ruined. Dry, brittle, very inconsistent in colour, and, worst of all, sprinkled with spots of orange. Nothing that couldn't be hidden under a hat, fixed with a couple of applications of dye, and some rounds of an intensive conditioner, mind you. But that's besides the point. Woman, bad hair, hysterical. Emotional distress! Boom, a compensation headshot, if ever there was one. Photos were taken, a local hairdresser was consulted for a statement as 'expert witness', and it was all swiftly emailed to a local no win, no fee lawyer. He took up the case, and put it to Sainsbury's that they could take it to court, where they'd ensure press had a field day (particularly as, through a magnificent stroke of luck, orange is the adopted trademark colour of Sainsbury's, which would make for perfect tabloid fodder), or they could settle out of court for a comfortable figure of £100,000, and no-one would ever speak of it ever again.Sainsbury's thought about it for a week. And then, a letter arrived at the lawyer's office, by Special Delivery. It contained a cheque, for £100,000. The first thing the woman spent the money on was intensive conditioner. The second thing was a double-application of chocolate-brown dye, professionally applied by a salon in London by an extremely flamboyant homosexual man. The third thing was a holiday to Spain for all involved (apart from the lawyer, natch), and the fourth was a magical flying pig, whose best friend was a unicorn. [Insert troll face icon here]

This is turning into the best thread ever.

Too much effort.

dxx you have way too much free time on your hands, be careful little johnny doesnt tell you to GET A JOB

harlzter

dxx you have way too much free time on your hands, be careful little … dxx you have way too much free time on your hands, be careful little johnny doesnt tell you to GET A JOB

[img]http//gi…MG]

I'll be able to feed the 5000 at this rate X)

dxx

The first thing the woman spent the money on was intensive conditioner. … The first thing the woman spent the money on was intensive conditioner. The second thing was a double-application of chocolate-brown dye, professionally applied by a salon in London by an extremely flamboyant homosexual man. The third thing was a holiday to Spain for all involved (apart from the lawyer, natch), and the fourth was a magical flying pig, whose best friend was a unicorn. [Insert troll face icon here]

http://chzmemebase.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/internet-memes-i-love-this-post.jpg

take the product back and get a refund.

mutley1

take the product back and get a refund.

No good my pedigree chum, op wants blood!

harlzter

dxx you have way too much free time on your hands, be careful little … dxx you have way too much free time on your hands, be careful little johnny doesnt tell you to GET A JOB

I have a job. I'm just not very good at it.

Personally, jokes aside, I would just ask for travel expenses or say you will complain to the head office, the managers will probably not want this to happen.

' is there anything more i can do?? '

YES, Step the hell away from the keyboard!

Original Poster

Thx for all the comments,and yes I have a job been
Working 16 years now,(48 hrs a week)and I wish I knew what I was doing lol
I spoke with sainsburrys Careline,and they not very helpful and offered me £20.00 as a good will.
I will be making a official complaint as I feel it's not professional how a store manager
Can say a product is in date when it's has a expiry of 2 years.
Top of that he gets the deputy store manager to give me a call to tell me to return the product to store.
Why can't the store manager himself call me?? Lol
I've read on the net a lot of people claiming there are finding out of date products on the shelf
So next time your at sainsburrys folks just double check your expiry dates.

Banned

"is there anything more i can do??"

Yes, learn how to read dates properly. US dates only reverse the day & month. The year is the same as the UK so pretty obvious the last digits of "10" meant it was 2 years out of date.

http://www.hanyangowl.org/media/formalemail/internationaldateformats.pdf

just go to the store and get it replaced. I really dont see the problem here.
Edited by: "csiman" 31st Jul 2012

khalifazed

Thx for all the comments,and yes I have a job been Working 16 years … Thx for all the comments,and yes I have a job been Working 16 years now,(48 hrs a week)and I wish I knew what I was doing lolI spoke with sainsburrys Careline,and they not very helpful and offered me £20.00 as a good will.I will be making a official complaint as I feel it's not professional how a store managerCan say a product is in date when it's has a expiry of 2 years.Top of that he gets the deputy store manager to give me a call to tell me to return the product to store.Why can't the store manager himself call me?? LolI've read on the net a lot of people claiming there are finding out of date products on the shelfSo next time your at sainsburrys folks just double check your expiry dates.

I would accept the £20 and be done, problem over.

khalifazed

Thx for all the comments,and yes I have a job been Working 16 years … Thx for all the comments,and yes I have a job been Working 16 years now,(48 hrs a week)and I wish I knew what I was doing lolI spoke with sainsburrys Careline,and they not very helpful and offered me £20.00 as a good will.I will be making a official complaint as I feel it's not professional how a store managerCan say a product is in date when it's has a expiry of 2 years.Top of that he gets the deputy store manager to give me a call to tell me to return the product to store.Why can't the store manager himself call me?? LolI've read on the net a lot of people claiming there are finding out of date products on the shelfSo next time your at sainsburrys folks just double check your expiry dates.

Wow, just wow. You state that their careline were unhelpful, yet they offered you £20 extra as a goodwill gesture.
Whats wrong with that? Imo thats generous. You werent hurt or damaged, you were slightly inconvenienced.
It wasnt deliberate, merely an oversight. As for the manager getting the deputy to call you, maybe they had a store to run or were going off shift?
Re the dates on the products, mabye the manager was guessing from the info you were telling them. They werent at your house looking at the actual bottles.
Obviously more obscure items are going to have a slower turn around time therefore use by dates may become an issue.

I cannot stand this blame culture and "sue them" attitude that we seem to have embraced from the USA.

Like one of the adverts go, sometimes in life accidents happen, but WHEN its not just a harmless accident, then you may have a claim.

You are getting your money back and £20 for the inconvenience. They said sorry. Job done. Move on ffs! oO

Ohh and remind me to never sell you anything!

Bought a bottle of Fanta which I discovered was over 6 months out of date after a quick swig.
I was more worried that it may have been tampered with as I couldn't remember breaking the seal.

Lived to tell the tale and got a voucher for ten quid, which was fine. These things happen, stop being greedy
Edited by: "MBeeching" 31st Jul 2012

All these comments are likely to cause the op enough stress to make their hair fall out.

Might need to test out the regain on themself. X)

Get over it op. I am guessing you got a good deal on them anyway, so after £20 compo you are quids in

i didn't know you could get women's regaine.. cool

Original Poster

got a call personally from the store manager today to say sorry and that he should have double checked the dates etc.
offered me 50 in vouchers to spend in store which i have refused, its not about claiming compo but making sure these guys do the job correctly as a store manager,if my mother had used the product it could have lead to disaster.
anybdoy wants to buy the product from me ? lol as i wont be returning it either.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions