Groups

Advice wanted please

My grandparents used to own some land of which they had a house and garden ...it has been fenced off and the house was knocked down. Can anyone tell me how I would be able to find out if they still own the land (cant ask them cos they both died) any help would be fab x

11 Comments

land registry?

surley if the owned it it would have been in their estate??

Original Poster

foxymissroxy;5710575

land registry?surley if the owned it it would have been in their estate??

yeah but someone said they didnt own it anymore but im not sure they were tellig the truth so thats why i wana find out

Original Poster

big-boy;5710571

http://www1.landregistry.gov.uk/direct/ … http://www1.landregistry.gov.uk/direct/ :)http://www1.landregistry.gov.uk/direct/content/info/default.asp

cheers will have a look

Who was it fenced off by? has anyone else been using it. Did land law this year and although I cant remember the details, Im sure that if someone else uses the land as if it is their own for a certain length of time (cant remember how long) then the land is classed as theirs through adverse possession.
    Dont have time to research it myself for you but if it has been used by someone else for a length of time, and the fence was built by someone else they may have lost it, although I seem to remember the length of time being 15 years or something. Might be worth checking though.
    If the fence has been put up by themselves and no one else has been using the land then I dont see why they would lose rights to it.

lil_tiger;5711293

Who was it fenced off by? has anyone else been using it. Did land law … Who was it fenced off by? has anyone else been using it. Did land law this year and although I cant remember the details, Im sure that if someone else uses the land as if it is their own for a certain length of time (cant remember how long) then the land is classed as theirs through adverse possession.Dont have time to research it myself for you but if it has been used by someone else for a length of time, and the fence was built by someone else they may have lost it, although I seem to remember the length of time being 15 years or something. Might be worth checking though.If the fence has been put up by themselves and no one else has been using the land then I dont see why they would lose rights to it.

yeah thats how NCP (National Car Parks) started, they fenced off derilict land in towns and ciry centres and waiting until it became theirs

Land registry isn't 100% correct - their have been some scams over the recent 6/7 years
    news.bbc.co.uk/1/h…stm

dave_lunt2;5711325

yeah thats how NCP (National Car Parks) started, they fenced off derilict … yeah thats how NCP (National Car Parks) started, they fenced off derilict land in towns and ciry centres and waiting until it became theirs

Didnt know that! Just thought the adverse possession info was worth a mention...

Original Poster

lil_tiger;5711293

Who was it fenced off by? has anyone else been using it. Did land law … Who was it fenced off by? has anyone else been using it. Did land law this year and although I cant remember the details, Im sure that if someone else uses the land as if it is their own for a certain length of time (cant remember how long) then the land is classed as theirs through adverse possession.Dont have time to research it myself for you but if it has been used by someone else for a length of time, and the fence was built by someone else they may have lost it, although I seem to remember the length of time being 15 years or something. Might be worth checking though.If the fence has been put up by themselves and no one else has been using the land then I dont see why they would lose rights to it.

yeah the fence was put up around the house ad garden by my grandad and the house got knocked down but the fence is still there.. be about 30 yr ago now tho but no one has touched the land since...I had a drive past the other day and someoe has put a chain on the gate wich is what has made me wonder..

ceira*freya;5711630

yeah the fence was put up around the house ad garden by my grandad and … yeah the fence was put up around the house ad garden by my grandad and the house got knocked down but the fence is still there.. be about 30 yr ago now tho but no one has touched the land since...I had a drive past the other day and someoe has put a chain on the gate wich is what has made me wonder..

hmmm not sure, if someone has 'completed the fence' (with the chain) then it might be classed as them sectioning the land off, not your g'dad. Perhaps see if anyone uses the land? If theres a bit of value to the land it might be worth getting a 'proper' (qualified) legal opinion.

go to your local council and ask for land registry and they will look into it for you and trace back for when / if they owned it
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Report online material promoting terrorism or extremism1626
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …226675
      3. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread416614122
      4. Are these two things distinctly different to you?32162

See more discussions