Groups
    EXPIRED

Advice with a Kawasaki motorbike please??????

My hubby has been re-building a kawasaki bike for a few days now and just as he thought it was all done, he started it up and.... It only goes backwards!lol

I've never in my life seen one going backwards in all gears so any ideas anyone?

15 Comments

I LOL'D, sorry :oops:

Is the engine in the right way round? :):):):whistling::whistling:

Original Poster

well he seemes to think it can only go in one way so apart from taking it all apart again, we're stuck:oops:

If its a two stroke (probably a dirt bike) then the ignition timing is too advanced,:thumbsup:

unseenangelwings;5357469

well he seemes to think it can only go in one way so apart from taking it … well he seemes to think it can only go in one way so apart from taking it all apart again, we're stuck:oops:

tell him to put handlebar on back of bike, then duck.:w00t:

Banned

the timing is wrong

In a four stroke, the event timing is controlled by the camshafts, and if the crank goes backwards, so do the cams. While it would be possible on a single cylinder engine with a separate intake and exhaust to figure out how to time the cams so that the intake and exhaust events occurred in the right order and at the right time to cause the engine to be capable of operating in a reversed direction, I would be truly startled to find out that someone had done this by mistake, especially when it would be necessary to spin it backwards in order to start it.

if he is starting it with the kick start then that only spins the engine forwards so it will be the timing

tonyg1962;5357484

If its a two stroke (probably a dirt bike) then the ignition timing is to … If its a two stroke (probably a dirt bike) then the ignition timing is to advanced,:thumbsup:

As above the only times I have heard of the engine going backwards is if the timing was way out, this normally was on some of the very old Brithish bikes though.

What type of engine is it? Two stroke or four stroke? Has he touched the gearbox? Is it the engine that is rotating backwards, or is the engine rotating the right way and it is just the back wheel that is rotating the wrong way.
    I have heard that is some very old (vintage) motorcycle engines you could end up with the cam shaft in the wrong way and this would get the engine to rotate in the reverse direction. But with modern engines I can't see how that could be done.
    If the engine rotating in the correct direction then it suggests a gearbox problem.
    Apart from offer the obvious solutions I can't think of anything else without actually being there.

Original Poster

no, it's not being spun back wards. he's just kicking it over normally and when he engages 1st and releases the clutch it goes backwards.

Original Poster

he's adjusting the timing as much as he can but to no avail as yet.
    When he kicks it over it rotates the right way, but when it catches and fires up, it then spins the wrong way.
    Its 2 stroke by the way.

unseenangelwings;5357557

he's adjusting the timing as much as he can but to no avail as yet. When … he's adjusting the timing as much as he can but to no avail as yet. When he kicks it over it rotates the right way, but when it catches and fires up, it then spins the wrong way.Its 2 stroke by the way.

Its definitetly the timing,Is it electronic ignition or is it really old with points ?

If it has points, I am wondering if some how he has put the points in the wrong way ie points for No. 1 cylinder into the No. 2 cylinders location and vice versa. The points cam arm length could be different for each set (although from what I remember it would be hard to do this).

Or has he connected the wiring to the points the wrong way around

Just that if it has points the gap needs setting before you can set the timing.

Reading the OP , I thought of one word straight away ....................and everyone else has said it ..........Timing.
    In the mid seventies I had a trails bike that did the same ...........YamahaDT175 . Started it up ,put it in gear and it went in reverse .Never ever won a race !

Original Poster

storted now wrong flywheel
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a safari adventure & claim a free Chicago Town pizza coupon44
      2. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…44
      3. Review Hub Monthly Competition - Win a OnePlus 5!88
      4. Win a pair of running shoes up to the value of £100 with UKRunChat1010

See more discussions