Advice with fire grate

Found 18th Jan 2011
Just wondering if anyone else has ever done this to get some ideas on how easy and costs

Have an open fireplace with no fireplace in at all at the moment. We had a chimney sweep out the other day to sweep and was asking him for some thoughts as we want to put a woodburner in rather than install a fireplace

He said that is fine and easy but that we would need to get a metal grate made up to obviously stop the falling ash coming back down, kind of like the lid yo ulift when have a normal fireplace installed

He said some companies will do this for yo uand charge a fortune as they want to line the whole chimney but that we dont really need that done

He said we can just try and find a metal works company to make up a custom bit of metal to act as a grate with a hole for the flume

He made all these claims as though he has seen this done but then said had no idea where you would get this done!!

Does anyone have any experience of doing this? What kind of company do you use, cost, ease etc???

Thanks!!

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
2 Comments

I think you're talking about a register plate. A quick google says you can buy them online for a diy installation. Ours came with our stove and was all supplied and fitted, but it was definitely something we could have done ourselves - only the chap we had do it was certified to sign off on building regs too.

Original Poster

FrootCake

I think you're talking about a register plate. A quick google says you … I think you're talking about a register plate. A quick google says you can buy them online for a diy installation. Ours came with our stove and was all supplied and fitted, but it was definitely something we could have done ourselves - only the chap we had do it was certified to sign off on building regs too.

Great, will look that up, thanks for that
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Yay for HUKD iPhone X support58
    2. Young Person's Railcard upper age limit going up to 30!11
    3. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…8321565
    4. Is Black Friday a big con!2744

See more discussions