Advice/Help Needed PLEASE!

I had my garage reroofed while I was on holiday. It looks like a nice job - but I have one issue that I need to resolve before I pay up. Where the flat roof meets the house I expected a nice new stretch of lead flashing along the upstanded part. Instead there's a long stretch of repointing. The garden is also covered in brickdust - so I imagine they've cut out a long channel in the brickwork, tucked the numerous layers of felt in, and repointed over the top. I've questioned the roofer, and he says this is how you do it with this new felt type. As it's just not what I expected, and looks a bit 'cheap' I am just not sure if I am being conned a this point. Any advice or ideas on where I can get some advice? He's coming back on Wednesday for some minor snagging and payment.

12 Comments

Banned

Use this site next time.

hotukdeals.com/mis…056

I hope you got your new jeans.

Banned

sounds like a cowboy job to me. Never seen felt pointed in with mortar lol

Original Poster

I used that rated people thing - and got several quotes. I'm otherwise happy, just wondered if this was a real reason he gave me about the new felt not needing lead flashing or some excuse for doing it on the cheap. Can't imagine it would have been much cheaper though, the labour would have been pretty intensive.

Banned

go to screwfix.com as forums there are full of proper tradesmen

any decent ones wont be browsing hukd now

Original Poster

csiman

sounds like a cowboy job to me. Never seen felt pointed in with mortar lol

This was my first thought on seeing it. Just doesn't look right. They've done my neighbours too, but they're not in for me to speak to...

Banned

how big was the roof and price?

I'd join this place and ask the same question there for more of an experts opinion.

diynot.com/for…fe8
Edited by: "greg_68" 1st Nov 2010

Banned

Penny Saver

This was my first thought on seeing it. Just doesn't look right. They've … This was my first thought on seeing it. Just doesn't look right. They've done my neighbours too, but they're not in for me to speak to...

Speak to your neighbour tonight.

Original Poster

DLM

Speak to your neighbour tonight.

Oh, I will - but they can't see the pointing from their side, and it'll be dark! Unless they've been on the roof they won't know.

Banned

Penny Saver

Oh, I will - but they can't see the pointing from their side, and it'll … Oh, I will - but they can't see the pointing from their side, and it'll be dark! Unless they've been on the roof they won't know.

Do your neighbour's work?

Original Poster

DLM

Do your neighbour's work?

One does, I think the other is retired. Neither are in, or if they are they're not answering the door!

Banned

Penny Saver

One does, I think the other is retired. Neither are in, or if they are … One does, I think the other is retired. Neither are in, or if they are they're not answering the door!

Try later (_;)
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Cheapo tips for around the home. Aka "life hacks"2138
    2. jeremy hunt £44.000 for a new bathroom ??1212
    3. so sick of this summer weather enough .......1929
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7763947

See more discussions