Groups
    EXPIRED

Advise for a DSLR for a beginner

hi

I am looking for a new SLR camera for myself. My budget is about £300. I have looked at a couple of them which i liked:

1) Nikon D40
    2) Sony A200

Are there any other cameras which are in my price range and quite good for a beginner. I would really appreciate if someone can recommend some other camera. I have looked at camerapricebuster website and couldnt really find anything else which has good reviews on internet and are within my price range.

I am leaning towards A200 as it has a better lens included (in terms of zoom) than the nikon one. AS a beginner 18-70 mm lens looks better than 18-55mm. if i am wrong please point that to me.

I have a few questions if someone can help me please?

1) Do you really need live view in DSLR? i have used a digital compact and havent really used viewfinder a lot so just want to check other's experience

2) I also looked at some reviews and found Pantax K100 D to be having a good rating on CNET tech website. But i cant seem to be able to find one on net. I am sure its quite old and hence difficult to find. So can someone point me to a place where i can buy it (except ebay)

3) I saw on some posts on HUKD that sony seems to be offering some sort of cashback from time to time. Is there one currently going on?

Many thanks for your time in reading my post

Thanks a lot
    J

7 Comments

The thing you should think about.... Is... Do you want to learn photography or do you want the camera to do all the work?

If you want to learn, then buy a secondhand Canon or Nikon..

I would go for a Canon EOS 20D, or a Nikon D1x both approx £150(S/H)

Then you would need 2 good lenses (Canon lenses are usually cheaper)

1 x wideangle (28 - 70mm)
    1 x Telephoto (70-300mm)

These should give you a good start.. If you shoot sports or indoor alot a 2.8f lens is recommended (but are expensive, especially a telephoto)

Good luck..

PS. Don't bother with live preview.. It's just a lazy gimick.....

I have a Sony A200. Highly recommended!

for prices check [url]www.camerapricebuster.co.uk[/url]

i think the A200 is good value for money ,i have a cannon 450d and i never use live view although i thought i would so unless you plan taking photo's in wierd places it is not necessary

Try the canon site on ebay you should pick up a 400D with 18-55 lens around the 200 quid mark. They are re-furbed but don't let that put you off. I have bought 4 cameras and all have been superb.

Canon EOS 400D are excellent. You could also try Jessops for a higher priced camera and use quidco.co.uk and there are codes on this site for 10 & 20% off depending on how much you spend. If you are just starting in photography as a student, ask your tutor which camera is recommended, Jessops are also very good at this in some of their shops

Original Poster

Fatcat1955;4975824

Try the canon site on ebay you should pick up a 400D with 18-55 lens … Try the canon site on ebay you should pick up a 400D with 18-55 lens around the 200 quid mark. They are re-furbed but don't let that put you off. I have bought 4 cameras and all have been superb.

Correct me if i am wrong but A200 has a 18-70 lens itsnt it better than 18-55 lens?

I recently bought the Nikon D40 from Jessops with an extra lens for £330 and I am very happy with it. I thought I might miss the Liveview but have found I much prefer using the viewfinder, the only time I think live view would be handy is for awkward low shots or over peoples heads which doesn't happen too often.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card33
      2. DICKINSONS REAL DEAL £25,000 COMPETITION22
      3. Win a Free minion usb stick1111
      4. Tv choice magazine Issue 391515

See more discussions