Expired

Advise on a silent bathroom light pull switch !!

Found 26th Aug 2011
Please please only sensible replies and No I am not going to cut the cord off....
As a Family we all work different shifs, and our light pull is so noisy..
I dont want a sensor, but is there a quiet one that don't go clunk clunk.
Have you bought one that you can reccommend that is quiet..........
Community Updates
MiscBathroom
46 Comments
Banned
You could soundproof the bathroom with egg boxes.
Banned
Sensible answers eh? I look forward to them aswell
Low energy bulb left on
starsparkle2311

Jeez how much noise can a light pull make? Sorry don't mean to laugh, but … Jeez how much noise can a light pull make? Sorry don't mean to laugh, but I did.

+1
i really hate this too..i usually shut the door while pulling it at the same time
OP I know what you mean, ours is the same, kids go to the bathroom at night & all you can hear is the clunk from the bloody light switch !!! I'm going to start issuing them with head-torches
Why don't you use your swan creek candles? light them when you go in and blow out when you leave.
Be sure to use a lighter though due to the noise levels a matchbox can create.

hotukdeals.com/mis…012
Edited by: "jonny619447" 26th Aug 2011
richp

OP I know what you mean, ours is the same, kids go to the bathroom at … OP I know what you mean, ours is the same, kids go to the bathroom at night & all you can hear is the clunk from the bloody light switch !!! I'm going to start issuing them with head-torches

That did make me lol, I had a vision of people walking round the house with head torches looking like coal miners
Expensive solution but a PIR switch is going to be quietest option.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/DNCEFLPIRS.html?source=froogle

Pull cord switches will always make a noise due to the way they work. You can get dimmer pull card switches which are quieter but not silent. Motion sensor is the way to go :-)
scrumpypaul

Low energy bulb left on

That's what we do overnight
starsparkle2311

You must be very light sleepers, considering you have kids, which I do … You must be very light sleepers, considering you have kids, which I do too, the last thing to bother me would be the light pull. Sorry OP I can offer no solution to your problem

But you have been of help...

You have highlighted better than anyone how bloody stupid this thread is!

On both our bathrooms, we have a normal light switch located just outside the bathrooms. Nice and quiet.

I dont want a sensor

Because...
Banned
thesaint

Because...

... of the rush you get going in the dark. That's the thrill of pee roulette.
starsparkle2311

Only reason I check in to misc, is to read these threads, I love HUKD … Only reason I check in to misc, is to read these threads, I love HUKD misc,lol

internetz=serious businezz ! off to search for a silent bathroom pull-switch
Banned
starsparkle2311

Ok, so what's yours? Mr Sensible oO

If you fart as you enter the bathroom at the very same time as pulling the cord, it might cancel the noise of the pull cord, thus you wont be able to hear it? Id say about 40 decibels should do it.

Or put on headphones for the bathroom? Its not ridiculous, someone suggested full breathing apparatus in some other thread a week ago.
surely when you flush the toilet its going to make the most noise?
Adnan786

If you fart as you enter the bathroom at the very same time as pulling … If you fart as you enter the bathroom at the very same time as pulling the cord, it might cancel the noise of the pull cord, thus you wont be able to hear it? Id say about 40 decibels should do it.Or put on headphones for the bathroom? Its not ridiculous, someone suggested full breathing apparatus in some other thread a week ago.

The strain on pulling the cord & farting at the same time is extremely dangerous as multi-tasking may cause you to follow through oO
Back to OPs request lol. I got a silent bathroom dimmer pull switch from Wilts electronic store in Fareham. Its very very good and is very handy if you have kids and want to dim spotlights down to low for the night. My bathroom is tiled and so does echo sound... this switch is about the quietest i have ever heard. Literally a very low click on, hold on to dim, and let go ;-)

PS i know what you mean about noisy switches as my last one was very 'clunky' especially during the night when everything else was quiet - it had the possiblity to wake the kids up !

Edited by: "Squelds" 26th Aug 2011
This gets good reviews for being quiet and as a bonus it's also a dimmer switch:
tlc-direct.co.uk/Pro…tml
Original Poster
thesaint

Because...

If I want a bath and read a mag for 30 mins the bloody light will go out....
Original Poster
nick1austin

This gets good reviews for being quiet and as a bonus it's also a dimmer … This gets good reviews for being quiet and as a bonus it's also a dimmer switch:http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLPCD51.html

Ordered anything is worth a try. Exactly what I wanted from this thread .Help and a sensible reply.
Original Poster
Squelds

Back to OPs request lol. I got a silent bathroom dimmer pull switch from … Back to OPs request lol. I got a silent bathroom dimmer pull switch from Wilts electronic store in Fareham. Its very very good and is very handy if you have kids and want to dim spotlights down to low for the night. My bathroom is tiled and so does echo sound... this switch is about the quietest i have ever heard. Literally a very low click on, hold on to dim, and let go ;-)PS i know what you mean about noisy switches as my last one was very 'clunky' especially during the night when everything else was quiet - it had the possiblity to wake the kids up !

Another great reply thankyou. I know it is a problem for a lot of people. Do you know the make of what you bought ?
TBH it 'looks' identical to the one above, so may even be the same brand. But it was over a year ago i done the bathroom now and unless i unscrew it and take out the guts then i cant be sure on what it is. However i can recommend a dimmer one, not only for feature of the dimmer but they do seem to be very quiet and much less clunky than conventional pull switches. Its nice to run a nice hot bath, dim the lights down low, and just chill at night after a hard days work. I have 6 spots in my bathroom now and it looks amazing alongside my new tiling. Everyone comments on the dim function... as tbh most people just have standard on/off and dont think you can dim bathroom lighting.
(_;)
OP if you take the cap of where the string goes in you will see why it makes this noise & if you put in 1 sided sticky foam sponge or even say 3-4 squares of duck tape it will stop the noise.
Banned
Or stop tip toeing around however moans about the noise and tell them to wear ear plugs.
starsparkle2311

Exactly,lmao < very quietly of course

Unless you just dont flush the toilet at night, i had an ex that did that, it was extremely disgusting lol
Well some people, me included, open the door at night and switch the light on to see what theyre doing. Then shut the door, have number 2, flush (optional), then open door and switch off the light behind them. See the flushing and using the sink is behind closed doors thus minimal noise ;-)

Not rocket science to picture the scenario... better than trying to fumble around in the dark... well unless in other circumstances lol
Our bathroom cabinet is metal so we have one of the below stuck underneath it (magnetic) that we use at night.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rolson-61770-LED-Camping-Light/dp/B002JM0JIA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1314395523&sr=8-2

Our light pull is noisy and the metal weight at the end often hits the tiles.
yellow brown red or blue, i would prefer not walking in the bathroom in the morning to find old **** in the toilet :P
Banned
WheresMeNuts

OP if you take the cap of where the string goes in you will see why it … OP if you take the cap of where the string goes in you will see why it makes this noise & if you put in 1 sided sticky foam sponge or even say 3-4 squares of duck tape it will stop the noise.

I would say if the insurance saw this after a fire they wouldn't pay out!
lumoruk

I would say if the insurance saw this after a fire they wouldn't pay out!

Surely if there was a fire, the sponge and duck tape wouldn't be there.
shift your bathroom into garden or get ur kids some nappies X)
Banned
jonny619447

Surely if there was a fire, the sponge and duck tape wouldn't be there.

Those fire inspectors are smart ****
what a complete waste of time this thread is - someone askes a perfectly good question and these are the best answers you can all manage. actually a sensible answer would be really useful.
Original Poster
andrewjja

what a complete waste of time this thread is - someone askes a perfectly … what a complete waste of time this thread is - someone askes a perfectly good question and these are the best answers you can all manage. actually a sensible answer would be really useful.

Thankyou for that. I think I am going to give up asking questions and advice, you just get so much abuse...........
Tanya

Thankyou for that. I think I am going to give up asking questions and … Thankyou for that. I think I am going to give up asking questions and advice, you just get so much abuse...........

You just have to be thick skinned on here to be able to ask questions lol
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions