Advise on Freesat/Sky Q/Multiroom/Approx Costs

Posted 29th May
Hi,

Looking to get Freesat installed and I have a free sat enabled TV. Looking into the options There are multiple satellite dishes, Like the ones compatible with Sky Q etc.. I am not a Sky User, but dont mind spending a bit extra if that is future proof. Any advises on What to go for?

Also I am looking for multi room Option one room is one side the other room is other side so the cable has to go over on the roof. What do you suggest on that..?
Community Updates
Ask
27 Comments
I wouldn't worry about getting a Sky Q compatible one as they will most likely want to put their own up anyway if you take the service.
Instead of the cable going over the roof can you not put it into the loft?
Also, maybe buy(maybe even free) a second hand dish and get a new LNB, may be a lot cheaper.
Daaaavvveee29/05/2020 08:27

I wouldn't worry about getting a Sky Q compatible one as they will most …I wouldn't worry about getting a Sky Q compatible one as they will most likely want to put their own up anyway if you take the service.Instead of the cable going over the roof can you not put it into the loft?Also, maybe buy(maybe even free) a second hand dish and get a new LNB, may be a lot cheaper.

Thanks, I thought the costs will be about £100-150 for installation etc isn't it?
a.19831129/05/2020 08:28

Thanks, I thought the costs will be about £100-150 for installation etc …Thanks, I thought the costs will be about £100-150 for installation etc isn't it?

Sorry I don't know about installation costs. Pretty sure you could get an old Sky Dish and use that though. Could you not install yourself?
Daaaavvveee29/05/2020 08:31

Sorry I don't know about installation costs. Pretty sure you could get an …Sorry I don't know about installation costs. Pretty sure you could get an old Sky Dish and use that though. Could you not install yourself?

I could try... But is that's sub £150 then I would prefer to get some one to come and do the install and finish up...
Compatibility with sky q etc is more about the lnb than the dish - its a frequency issue. Sky Q uses a wider range of frequencies and handles the hi/lo h/v totally differently (hi/lo no longer relevant and the two cables are for the h and v)

Aiui you can't use a skyQ lnb with a freesat tv, Although you can now get hybrid lnb's that do sky Q as well as freesat.
mas9929/05/2020 08:39

Compatibility with sky q etc is more about the lnb than the dish - its a …Compatibility with sky q etc is more about the lnb than the dish - its a frequency issue. Sky Q uses a wider range of frequencies and handles the hi/lo h/v totally differently (hi/lo no longer relevant and the two cables are for the h and v)Aiui you can't use a skyQ lnb with a freesat tv, Although you can now get hybrid lnb's that do sky Q as well as freesat.

Ah.. ok.. So if I decided to go for SKY at some point in future they may just change the LNB..?
a.19831129/05/2020 08:41

Ah.. ok.. So if I decided to go for SKY at some point in future they may …Ah.. ok.. So if I decided to go for SKY at some point in future they may just change the LNB..?

Or as Daaaaveeee says, put their own dish up. the q lnb is a different physical size as well so you might need an adapter to mount it on a non-skyq dish.

In terms of the cable, skyQ only takes two cables from the lnb - and they have to work as a pair so you cant run them to two different tvs.

remember that sky Q can use wifi within the house. The whole point of q is to make multi screen easier within the property. Cables come into the main box and that then distributes to the various tvs. rather than having loads of cables from an lnb all over the roof.

Its probably easiest to think of q as being a bit like a 1 house communal system.
It will depend on the person installing, the Dish and dual LNB are very cheap these days say £20-£30. The only other cost is cable and labour. The Sky Q LNB is different as explained so usually it will be a new dish and LNB and cable depending on how old/condition/type of dish.

If you have a look online some people will install for £40-£75 it depends on your area, equipment wise you need a sat finder and a drill.
It depends how you want to use Freesat - the ones built into TVs and the Manhattan and no longer made Humax boxes need the traditional LNB.

The current boxes (only came out 6 weeks for the recording ones) are made by a company called Arris, and work with wideband LNBs. So in theory they should work with a SkyQ LNB. If you have a suitable wideband LNB, the new boxes can record 4 things at a time from a double cable setup iirc.
alg29/05/2020 08:58

It depends how you want to use Freesat - the ones built into TVs and the …It depends how you want to use Freesat - the ones built into TVs and the Manhattan and no longer made Humax boxes need the traditional LNB.The current boxes (only came out 6 weeks for the recording ones) are made by a company called Arris, and work with wideband LNBs. So in theory they should work with a SkyQ LNB. If you have a suitable wideband LNB, the new boxes can record 4 things at a time from a double cable setup iirc.

haha.. That's confusing me again.. I have a Sony TV, 5 years old came with a freesat tuner builtin... Just thought to get freesat installed and connect the TV...
If your dish has a sky q lnb then you can either go with sky q and the multi room boxes connect into the main box via wifi therefore no cable needed or swap the lnb for the older style then you can run a cable to each room and use old sky boxes
If I have Sky Q can I just switch to Freesat when my contract runs out next month?
ding29/05/2020 09:48

If your dish has a sky q lnb then you can either go with sky q and the …If your dish has a sky q lnb then you can either go with sky q and the multi room boxes connect into the main box via wifi therefore no cable needed or swap the lnb for the older style then you can run a cable to each room and use old sky boxes

Not really looking to Signup to Sky Q... and multiroom is not urgent too...
Craig201829/05/2020 09:54

If I have Sky Q can I just switch to Freesat when my contract runs out …If I have Sky Q can I just switch to Freesat when my contract runs out next month?

If you buy a new Arris Freesat box? If you want a recorder, Currys are the only place selling them just now - Amazon do the receiver only version too. Look at the Freesat website for more info.
alg29/05/2020 10:00

If you buy a new Arris Freesat box? If you want a recorder, Currys are the …If you buy a new Arris Freesat box? If you want a recorder, Currys are the only place selling them just now - Amazon do the receiver only version too. Look at the Freesat website for more info.

I’ve got a Humax box I’m guessing it’ll still work ie it’s just a case of unplugging the Sky one and plugging in Humax one.
Craig201829/05/2020 10:02

I’ve got a Humax box I’m guessing it’ll still work ie it’s just a case of u …I’ve got a Humax box I’m guessing it’ll still work ie it’s just a case of unplugging the Sky one and plugging in Humax one.

If it's an old Sky or Sky HD box - if it's Sky Q, then you would have needed them to fit a hybrid LNB at the time.
alg29/05/2020 10:00

If you buy a new Arris Freesat box? If you want a recorder, Currys are the …If you buy a new Arris Freesat box? If you want a recorder, Currys are the only place selling them just now - Amazon do the receiver only version too. Look at the Freesat website for more info.

My TV is freesat enabled.. I am not bothered with recording.. I dont need to buy a new box right...?
a.19831129/05/2020 10:10

My TV is freesat enabled.. I am not bothered with recording.. I dont need …My TV is freesat enabled.. I am not bothered with recording.. I dont need to buy a new box right...?

If you have a dish, that was pre-Sky Q you should be fine. If you have Sky Q it's not guaranteed.
alg29/05/2020 10:22

If you have a dish, that was pre-Sky Q you should be fine. If you have Sky …If you have a dish, that was pre-Sky Q you should be fine. If you have Sky Q it's not guaranteed.

Dont have a dish.. Just trying to get one installed... on antenna... Just thought to go for freesat as I can get more channels and HD picture....
alg29/05/2020 10:05

If it's an old Sky or Sky HD box - if it's Sky Q, then you would have …If it's an old Sky or Sky HD box - if it's Sky Q, then you would have needed them to fit a hybrid LNB at the time.

LNB does that mean a better picture? Than non LNB?
a.19831129/05/2020 10:23

Dont have a dish.. Just trying to get one installed... on antenna... Just …Dont have a dish.. Just trying to get one installed... on antenna... Just thought to go for freesat as I can get more channels and HD picture....

If you don't have a dish, it's six or half a dozen. More TVs have freeview support that satellite - and you get HD on both. You just need to pick what suite you best.
Craig201829/05/2020 10:36

LNB does that mean a better picture? Than non LNB?

No - the LNB is the bit that the cables on your dish attach to. No LNB then no picture from satellite at all.
Edited by: "alg" 29th May
alg29/05/2020 10:45

No - the LNB is the bit that the cables on your dish attach to. No LNB …No - the LNB is the bit that the cables on your dish attach to. No LNB then no picture from satellite at all.

Ok so what’s the benefit of having LNB cables? Apologies I don’t know a lot about it...all I know is that I want to get rid of Sky.
Craig201829/05/2020 10:46

Ok so what’s the benefit of having LNB cables? Apologies I don’t know a lot …Ok so what’s the benefit of having LNB cables? Apologies I don’t know a lot about it...all I know is that I want to get rid of Sky.

You have a dish - the dish bounces that signal to the bit at the end of the stick in front of it (the LNB) - the cables come from the LNB and go through your wall and into your TV/Sky box etc.
I guess TV Classic is still a thing!
I’m questioning do I need a recordable Freesat box or just make do with catchup services on my Firestick and get the non recording box. Presuming 4 Demand and 5 Demand or whatever they are called are in HD?
Just received a Quote and I got Quote £185 for the parts and Labour for 2 rooms or £140 for one room. I am guessing the prices re reasonable...?
Post a comment
@
    Text