Groups

Advise on which portable hard-drive to get with a macbook?

I am about to buy a new macbook pro, and have been looking at getting soemthing like a Western Digital My Passport to allow me to store files and also for backing up the files on the laptop. I just wanted to pick the brains of more tech minded people and get advise on here first!
    Am I right in understanding that I can partition the drive so that not all of it is used by apples 'timemachine'? As I would also like t be able to store some files that I dont necessarily need to access all the time on the laptop.
    Also, I have seent hat there are two 'versions' on this drive. I say 'versions' as it seems they are just formatted ready for macs, rather than being different drives? Is this right, or do have have the wrong end of the stick? Or is it much less hastle to get a mac 'version' ?
    Thanks in advance to all those who help!

2 Comments

i have 2 western digital passports- 160GB and 320GB. When you get it, just format it using disk utility and itll be ready to use. Partitioning is easy- I just discovered it a few days ago! You just use disk utility and select how many partitions you want, name them all and hit go! then they appear as separate drives on the desktop

Original Poster

will_0407;6284526

i have 2 western digital passports- 160GB and 320GB. When you get it, … i have 2 western digital passports- 160GB and 320GB. When you get it, just format it using disk utility and itll be ready to use. Partitioning is easy- I just discovered it a few days ago! You just use disk utility and select how many partitions you want, name them all and hit go! then they appear as separate drives on the desktop

many thanks for that Been trying to work out the difference all evening! It looks like there is a new version coming out on 6th october as well, so I may wait till then in the hope the prices drop a little
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Find out how good your GP surgery is1010
      2. Did you know?2951
      3. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?2336
      4. word association Game72744169

See more discussions