Aer Lingus - Not Cancelled Flight

Posted 13th May
We were supposed to be going to Boston on Friday and had just assumed they would cancel the flight.

We are now two days away and they haven't cancelled it yet. Has anyone else been in this situation?

Going to ring them later this morning, just wondered everyone's thoughts
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

10 Comments
What is it that you want as an outcome?

If you want to take the flight and they haven't cancelled it, then go ahead and fly (as long as the restrictions are no longer in place in America preventing visitors from the UK from entering the country, which I think is still the case).

If you don't want to travel, this is not an issue, just cancel your flight. There is still a UK travel advisory against international travel so you should be able to get a refund.

If you're not certain as to what is happening, just call your airline.

Some international flights are still operating, remember there are still some people trying to get home from overseas so no doubt if the flight is operating there will be some Americans on board heading home form the UK or connecting from somewhere else.
Jaestar6913/05/2020 08:23

What is it that you want as an outcome?If you want to take the flight and …What is it that you want as an outcome?If you want to take the flight and they haven't cancelled it, then go ahead and fly (as long as the restrictions are no longer in place in America preventing visitors from the UK from entering the country, which I think is still the case).If you don't want to travel, this is not an issue, just cancel your flight. There is still a UK travel advisory against international travel so you should be able to get a refund.If you're not certain as to what is happening, just call your airline.Some international flights are still operating, remember there are still some people trying to get home from overseas so no doubt if the flight is operating there will be some Americans on board heading home form the UK or connecting from somewhere else.

Tbh we just want a refund and to get on with our lives. The voucher option is too risky.

The reason for my concern is, Martin Lewis' weekly newsletter last night that said:

"14) Am I legally due a holiday refund if I'm unable to go as I can't quarantine for 2wks on my return? I've had lots of questions on this. The short answer is no. The fact you'd have to quarantine after your holiday isn't the travel firm's fault, and if you've paid for a holiday, it's available and it's legal to go, then under the law it's likely to be your issue not the firm's - though some may agree to help out.

Frankly, it's all a bit theoretical, as right now the Govt advises against all but essential travel anywhere, with no end date. When quarantine comes in, it's due to apply to anyone coming into the UK, excluding from France or the Republic of Ireland (which leaves a likely soon-to-be-closed loophole of stopping off in Paris on the way home to avoid it).

So this really isn't worth considering until it's a more realistic scenario. We'll update you on the changes then."
Well, you won’t be able to fly anyway unless you’re a us citizen or resident?
Check if the airlines allows rebooking
sfndkks13/05/2020 09:06

Well, you won’t be able to fly anyway unless you’re a us citizen or res …Well, you won’t be able to fly anyway unless you’re a us citizen or resident?Check if the airlines allows rebooking

Just rung and they've said the flight is still going ahead and my only option is a voucher or refund of just government tax.
feeder1613/05/2020 09:09

Just rung and they've said the flight is still going ahead and my only …Just rung and they've said the flight is still going ahead and my only option is a voucher or refund of just government tax.

The tax only refund applies if you cancel by yourself so you’ll be out of pocket.
I was due to fly to New York end of June but the flight is actually cancelled.

I’ve just checked for you, what you’re entitled for is:
Rebook without any fees ( if you’re willing to fly before 30th of September) or apply for a voucher plus 10% incentive. Really depends on what you want.

Check flights history of the airline, if you see a lot of it got cancelled then yours might still be at some point, maybe tomorrow! Airlines are currently very sneaky and try to secure as much money as possible to not go bust
sfndkks13/05/2020 09:30

The tax only refund applies if you cancel by yourself so you’ll be out of p …The tax only refund applies if you cancel by yourself so you’ll be out of pocket. I was due to fly to New York end of June but the flight is actually cancelled. I’ve just checked for you, what you’re entitled for is: Rebook without any fees ( if you’re willing to fly before 30th of September) or apply for a voucher plus 10% incentive. Really depends on what you want. Check flights history of the airline, if you see a lot of it got cancelled then yours might still be at some point, maybe tomorrow! Airlines are currently very sneaky and try to secure as much money as possible to not go bust

There is a flight to Chicago and New York today, so will see what happens with them. The person on the phone wasn't great, its frustrating because I have bad asthma and am shielding anyway.
feeder1613/05/2020 09:45

There is a flight to Chicago and New York today, so will see what happens …There is a flight to Chicago and New York today, so will see what happens with them. The person on the phone wasn't great, its frustrating because I have bad asthma and am shielding anyway.

It is best to check the history of same route and same time to see if there is a pattern of cancelled or live flights because the vast majority of airlines changed to a contingency schedules but they seem to be kind of fixed
sfndkks13/05/2020 09:53

It is best to check the history of same route and same time to see if …It is best to check the history of same route and same time to see if there is a pattern of cancelled or live flights because the vast majority of airlines changed to a contingency schedules but they seem to be kind of fixed

Looks like they've all gone, every one since 2nd May. 9 flights in total. Who are all these people they are carrying?
feeder1613/05/2020 09:58

Looks like they've all gone, every one since 2nd May. 9 flights in total. …Looks like they've all gone, every one since 2nd May. 9 flights in total. Who are all these people they are carrying?

Schedules have been minimised to the very minimum and are only to repatriate those stuck over here to there and vice versa, only citizens and residents are allowed in as well as some very specific travellers such as scientists, doctors, politicians etc, you’ll be surprise to know that most of these flights go ahead pretty full. Many other countries also can’t fly direct to the US because of the ban, so they take an EU Internal flight to the Uk or Ireland and then to the US.
Go for the voucher, I think it’s the most sensible thing to do now, and just book again whenever things are back to normal
sfndkks13/05/2020 10:10

Schedules have been minimised to the very minimum and are only to …Schedules have been minimised to the very minimum and are only to repatriate those stuck over here to there and vice versa, only citizens and residents are allowed in as well as some very specific travellers such as scientists, doctors, politicians etc, you’ll be surprise to know that most of these flights go ahead pretty full. Many other countries also can’t fly direct to the US because of the ban, so they take an EU Internal flight to the Uk or Ireland and then to the US. Go for the voucher, I think it’s the most sensible thing to do now, and just book again whenever things are back to normal

I think that's the option, spoke to our travel insurance and they consider a voucher a refund. But would cover if we accepted it and they then went bust.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions