Expired

Aerial mast snapped off Citroen Xsarra Picasso

Found 7th Jan 2014
I have just bought a second-hand Citroen Xsarra Picasso SX 1.8, 16V, 2001 and wanted to go through a car wash but couldn't unscrew the car aerial, contacted the seller and he said that he might have done it up a bit tight last time he went through a car wash. Just got my son to try to unscrew it and the aerial mast bit that screws in has snapped off (rusted inside). We now have a piece of the snapped off aerial stuck in the black base bit fixed to the top of the car (the bit that the aerial mast screws in to - any ideas as to how to remove the piece that is stuck inside - my son says that the black base bit is a bit loose now as well - is it something we can fix or will I have to take it to my local garage - I can buy a new replacement mast with two screw adaptors off of ebay/Amazon, but the problem is how to remove the broken piece still stuck inside the base. Any ideas most welcome.

8 Comments

If you think that the base is not easily replaceable then you could try to use a bolt extractor provided you can find a bit that is small enough. THis involves drilling a small guide hole into the aerial, screwing the extractor into the hole and then unscrewing the whole lot. Fiddly job.

Failing that I would look into replacing the aerial base as well - potentially an easier job. Check this out: http://www.citroenpicasso.org.uk/picasso/index.php/topic/6423-roof-radio-antenna-base-replacement/

Last resort - since the car is so old and likely not to be worth a lot, just forget that aerial and connect your stereo to a new aerial that you can buy and mount somewhere else (e.g. you can get ones that mount on the inside of the windcreen).

Of course, all of this is assuming you can't get reception any more - if you still can, then there's no problem just leaving it like it is!
Edited by: "joshm" 7th Jan 2014

This might sound extreme but take the car to a local welding shop and they might be able to weld something on to the broken part and then be able to unscrew it, might only be a five minute job.

Original Poster

joshm

If you think that the base is not easily replaceable then you could try … If you think that the base is not easily replaceable then you could try to use a bolt extractor provided you can find a bit that is small enough. THis involves drilling a small guide hole into the aerial, screwing the extractor into the hole and then unscrewing the whole lot. Fiddly job.Failing that I would look into replacing the aerial base as well - potentially an easier job. Check this out: http://www.citroenpicasso.org.uk/picasso/index.php/topic/6423-roof-radio-antenna-base-replacement/Last resort - since the car is so old and likely not to be worth a lot, just forget that aerial and connect your stereo to a new aerial that you can buy and mount somewhere else (e.g. you can get ones that mount on the inside of the windcreen).Of course, all of this is assuming you can't get reception any more - if you still can, then there's no problem just leaving it like it is!

Going out in a bit, so will try to see if we can still get reception. I'm just concerned that water will get in through the top of the exposed aerial - my son says it won't as part of the screw is still fixed inside of the black base bit - do you think he is right about this? Thank you.

Original Poster

Just an after thought - is the black base bit fixed to the top of the car easy to remove (my son says it is a bit loose now)? Would it be possible to possibly pull/prise if off (is it stuck down?) and then connect any wires to another black base bit and stick that on top of the car - sorry, might sound like a daft idea but I don't exactly know how the black base bit is fixed to the top of the car.

Is it broken right at the base? Similar thing happened to me but there was a small part still attached which I managed to grip with pliers and turn to unscrew.

Original Poster

Butterbean

Is it broken right at the base? Similar thing happened to me but there … Is it broken right at the base? Similar thing happened to me but there was a small part still attached which I managed to grip with pliers and turn to unscrew.

My son did it and he says that the rusted broken bit is still inside the black base bit - none of it still sticking out of the top. Do you think any rain water will get through to the roof of the car by the way? Thank you.

Sophiasky

Just an after thought - is the black base bit fixed to the top of the car … Just an after thought - is the black base bit fixed to the top of the car easy to remove (my son says it is a bit loose now)? Would it be possible to possibly pull/prise if off (is it stuck down?) and then connect any wires to another black base bit and stick that on top of the car - sorry, might sound like a daft idea but I don't exactly know how the black base bit is fixed to the top of the car.

Don't try to pull the base off - it is most likely attached using a bolt through the roof panel. I don't think it is likely that water will get in, so if the reception is ok then I would just leave as-is and monitor it. If you are very worried I would use some clear silicone sealant where the aerial base meets the roof panel.

Original Poster

joshm

Don't try to pull the base off - it is most likely attached using a bolt … Don't try to pull the base off - it is most likely attached using a bolt through the roof panel. I don't think it is likely that water will get in, so if the reception is ok then I would just leave as-is and monitor it. If you are very worried I would use some clear silicone sealant where the aerial base meets the roof panel.

Thank you for the advice.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants