Affinity water want to install meter

Found 8th Jan 2016
Hi,

a relative of mine has received a letter from afinnity water about installing a water meter at the property, a surveyor will visit the outside of the property and then install a water meter under the water saving programme. are they allowed to install and Is there a method to stop them?
thanks

Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.
Community Updates
Ask
27 Comments
No you can refuse a meter they have no legal powers to do so. Tell them you dont want a water meter and you dont require one. They will try to get you to have one as its beneficial to them. Once its installed then you cant have it removed after.

theguardian.com/mon…you
Edited by: "kash2013" 8th Jan 2016
If you live in one of the so called 'water stressed areas' then unfortunately they can. Have a read of the OFWAT Leaflet - Water Meters 'Your Questions Answered' by clicking here.
Edited by: "Grill" 8th Jan 2016
Then again, OFWAT might be telling porkies - have a read of this click here.
Pretty sure you can't.
You could refuse them entering your boundary. This will probably get you some time but they will probably serve notice on removing your water supply. As you can't go with anybody else.

One point I would get clarification on is them taking responsibility for the water supply from the road to the meter. Normally this is your responsibility but as they are moving their point of charge they should take responsibility of this section, otherwise you could pipe off water before the meter.
watar meter is the best thing we ever did. our usual bill wass just over £650pa. we did an estimate on a meter with 4 adults and it quoted £35pm. it turned out to be £33pm but now only 2 adults and the bill is in credit so current monthly payments only £21pm!
kash2013

No you can refuse a meter they have no legal powers to do so. Tell them … No you can refuse a meter they have no legal powers to do so. Tell them you dont want a water meter and you dont require one. They will try to get you to have one as its beneficial to them. Once its installed then you cant have it removed after. http://www.theguardian.com/money/2012/jan/31/water-meter-installation-affects-you

From what I have read they can enforce a meter
With the amount of rain we've had recently, We should be charging them for our excess water.!
they are allowed to enforce the installation of a water meter, unfortunately. it seems it's backed by some sort of Government initiative, but as mentioned, unless you have swimming pools etc, you'll likely save money with a meter anyway.
From knowing an installer, it actually is in your favour to get one - basically they will charge the sh//t out of anyone not on a meter once the installation is done in your area - but as long as you're not overly wasteful then as per most of the messages above, you shouldn't notice much change in your billing at all so just get it done
Compulsory Metering

Seems they are forcing it on customers
themorgatron

Compulsory MeteringSeems they are forcing it on customers

so do you think if he phones them up and says no meter he will get anywhere?
99.9% of people save by going to a water meter.
Same for us, was paying 48quid a month, now paying 22
Martin Lewis just covered this in his TV show, if there are less people than bedrooms in your house them it may be beneficial to go to a water meter. check MSE website for the right advice
MrMan2011

so do you think if he phones them up and says no meter he will get … so do you think if he phones them up and says no meter he will get anywhere?

Probably not if it's compulsory. He will save money getting metered if it's just him. Also they read the meter from outside so you don't need to ever let them into your house once it's in place (if that's a concern).
Daytrader

99.9% of people save by going to a water meter.

I'll come back here in 5 years to read all the people crying about the price hikes when everyone is on a metre.
YouDontWantToKnow

It say in they own website that only if u have a swimming pool or use a sprinkler. But i dont think they have the legal right to just come and do it but require consent of the householder. Tell the water company u have no swimming pool and the rain waters your garden.
https://www.stwater.co.uk/category/1068
https://www.affinitywater.co.uk/all-about-metering.aspx

YouDontWantToKnow

kash2013

It say in they own website that only if u have a swimming pool or use a … It say in they own website that only if u have a swimming pool or use a sprinkler. But i dont think they have the legal right to just come and do it but require consent of the householder. Tell the water company u have no swimming pool and the rain waters your garden. https://www.stwater.co.uk/category/1068https://www.affinitywater.co.uk/all-about-metering.aspx

They have the right to fit a meter & you have the right to stay on your current system of payment if you do not have the above but the water meter will still get fitted. Then when you move the people that buy your house will be billed via meter readings.
YouDontWantToKnow

They have the right to fit a meter & you have the right to stay on your … They have the right to fit a meter & you have the right to stay on your current system of payment if you do not have the above but the water meter will still get fitted. Then when you move the people that buy your house will be billed via meter readings.

Do you mind showing me the source of when they can fit a water meter to your supply without your consent.
My bill more than halved on a water meter. The best decision I ever made
kash2013

Do you mind showing me the source of when they can fit a water meter to … Do you mind showing me the source of when they can fit a water meter to your supply without your consent.

Its in the above links already posted
YouDontWantToKnow

They have the right to fit a meter & you have the right to stay on your … They have the right to fit a meter & you have the right to stay on your current system of payment if you do not have the above but the water meter will still get fitted. Then when you move the people that buy your house will be billed via meter readings.

From Affinity Water

We are planning to install 280,000 household meters by 2020 and to give … We are planning to install 280,000 household meters by 2020 and to give customers the choice to keep paying non-metered charges for up to two years after their meter is installed

So after 2 years you are forced to pay a metered service regardless
Edited by: "themorgatron" 8th Jan 2016
YouDontWantToKnow

We are planning to install 280,000 household meters by 2020 and to give … We are planning to install 280,000 household meters by 2020 and to give customers the choice to keep paying non-metered charges for up to two years after their meter is installed

Read the OFWAT link posted above
If they are putting one in it would be near or in the same chamber as your external stop tap if that's located on the footpath they won't need permission to install as it's not in your property boundary the best thing u can do is call them to discuss it. If ur not happy look at ofwat and if that's not helpful maybe cab. Tbh unless there is high water consumption you'll save as u only pay for what u use. On a side note no water company can turn off your supply even if u owe them if it's a domestic property water is classed as an essential they can't cut you off unlike other utilities
YouDontWantToKnow

Read the OFWAT link posted above

Can't see any mention that you can avoid metered charges until you move.
I live on my own, and my bill was about £95 for SIx months, water costs money to supply and we should all be mindful of what we waste. There is a myriad of water saving devices from short flush cisterns to water butts to collect rainwater for the garden, and it's good to share a shower
We got a water meter put in around 10 years ago. 4 in family, my wife and i, and 2 boys who were 15 and 9 at the time. We also have a dog who was a puppy then. Our water bill came down by 20-30 pound a month. We also use a hosepipe to wash the car and water the garden.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants