Affordable Mobiles Issue

Posted 11th Oct
Hi all,
Was hoping for some advice.

I've recently purchased a mobile from AffordableMobiles.co.uk. The phone arrived with some damage to it, and the box looked like it had been dropped or stepped on. After an extended conversation with the retailer, they want the phone back to inspect. I'm fine with this, but want to cancel my contract, and to my surprise they are stating they "may charge you a non-pristine fee of between 30% -100% of the cost of the phone. "
I'm totally gobsmacked and wanted to know what I can do, they don't seem too helpful at this stage.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
Pictures pictures pictures! Did you take pictures of the damage etc, if not you may be out of luck
Did you take pictures of it before you opened the box? Did you notice damage at point of signing for it?
As others have stated you need to provide evidence of damage caused in transit, also they expect you to examine the package before accepting it off the courier.
No pictures before opening the box, and I didn't notice anything. After opening it and taking a look at the phone I noticed the box and outer box/ packaging was depressed in one corner, like it has been stepped on or dropped.

I sent the pictures of after I opened it to Affordable mobiles when they asked.
Standard disclaimer in case the merchant thinks the customer is having a laugh. Not unreasonable to allow the merchant to inspect the return, then debate the condion of the item as received by the customer was as prev stated by the customer.
Mr.Q11/10/2019 13:09

No pictures before opening the box, and I didn't notice anything. After …No pictures before opening the box, and I didn't notice anything. After opening it and taking a look at the phone I noticed the box and outer box/ packaging was depressed in one corner, like it has been stepped on or dropped. I sent the pictures of after I opened it to Affordable mobiles when they asked.

They will always have the wording that they may charge X amount, that is to cover themselves. Providing they can claim off the courier, you won’t be charged anything. Seems a bit odd that you also now don’t want a replacement though. It’s not their fault the courier is incapable of doing their job... If you wanted the phone and contract before, why the change of heart?
My last 2 contract have been purchased from Affordable Mobiles, the most recent being the iPhone XR glitch. After how they dealt with that scenario, I wouldn’t be surprised that they’d try anything to get money from you tbh.
JohnnyRoller11/10/2019 13:13

They will always have the wording that they may charge X amount, that is …They will always have the wording that they may charge X amount, that is to cover themselves. Providing they can claim off the courier, you won’t be charged anything. Seems a bit odd that you also now don’t want a replacement though. It’s not their fault the courier is incapable of doing their job... If you wanted the phone and contract before, why the change of heart?

An off-premises sale can be terminated at no penalty for any or no reason within 14days of receipt of goods. Maybe OP has lost faith in the merchant; possibly prematurely but understandable. The subsequent potential issue with cancellation of what OP describes as a phone contract is another hit on the customer's credit file for a replacement contract sourced from eleswhere.
AndyRoyd11/10/2019 13:19

An off-premises sale can be terminated at no penalty for any or no reason …An off-premises sale can be terminated at no penalty for any or no reason within 14days of receipt of goods. Maybe OP has lost faith in the merchant; possibly prematurely but understandable. The subsequent potential issue with cancellation of what OP describes as a phone contract is another hit on the customer's credit file for a replacement contract sourced from eleswhere.

I understand that, but a courier damaged item is not Affordable Mobiles fault. Also exactly my point with the credit check, seems a bit OTT to just decide to cancel. If it was because the phone was not what the OP was expecting then I can understand.
AndyRoyd11/10/2019 13:19

An off-premises sale can be terminated at no penalty for any or no reason …An off-premises sale can be terminated at no penalty for any or no reason within 14days of receipt of goods. Maybe OP has lost faith in the merchant; possibly prematurely but understandable. The subsequent potential issue with cancellation of what OP describes as a phone contract is another hit on the customer's credit file for a replacement contract sourced from eleswhere.

Its pretty much as AndyRoid said. They are saying it will take around 4 days from when they receive the phone, and in all honesty I wouldn't be surprised if they said I had caused the damage, as I don't really have any proof I didn't. I want to cancel as their support has been dragging their feet, and they don't seem trustworthy anymore.
What happened with the iphone glitch?
JohnnyRoller11/10/2019 13:22

I understand that, but a courier damaged item is not Affordable Mobiles …I understand that, but a courier damaged item is not Affordable Mobiles fault. Also exactly my point with the credit check, seems a bit OTT to just decide to cancel. If it was because the phone was not what the OP was expecting then I can understand.

A customer's perception of poor CS can often result in the customer terminating the sale regardless of the legitimacy of reasoning behind that perception. Most merchants are aware of this, including the possibility of revenge termination, which is why some merchants will attempt to string out a CS solution beyond the mandatory 14 day termination window.
Mr.Q11/10/2019 13:34

Its pretty much as AndyRoid said. They are saying it will take around 4 …Its pretty much as AndyRoid said. They are saying it will take around 4 days from when they receive the phone, and in all honesty I wouldn't be surprised if they said I had caused the damage, as I don't really have any proof I didn't. I want to cancel as their support has been dragging their feet, and they don't seem trustworthy anymore. What happened with the iphone glitch?

In short they accepted the orders sent dispatch emails (by their terms that was the stage they formed the contract), then tried to cancel them. This involved setting people up on the contract with EE but recalling the handsets back before delivery. They left the contracts open, and then started sending threatening emails to the people who received the handset to return it or they will seek debt collections on them. In the end they had to honour the select few impacted customers, and refused the rest.
AndyRoyd11/10/2019 13:36

A customer's perception of poor CS can often result in the customer …A customer's perception of poor CS can often result in the customer terminating the sale regardless of the legitimacy of reasoning behind that perception. Most merchants are aware of this, including the possibility of revenge termination, which is why some merchants will attempt to string out a CS solution beyond the mandatory 14 day termination window.

Personally I’d never go with Affordable Mobiles again, so I’m not trying to suggest the OP should stick with them. I’d go as far to say that no one should use Affordable Mobiles imo. I was simply asking the reason behind a change of mind
Mr.Q11/10/2019 13:34

Its pretty much as AndyRoid said. They are saying it will take around 4 …Its pretty much as AndyRoid said. They are saying it will take around 4 days from when they receive the phone, and in all honesty I wouldn't be surprised if they said I had caused the damage, as I don't really have any proof I didn't. I want to cancel as their support has been dragging their feet, and they don't seem trustworthy anymore. What happened with the iphone glitch?

If it does escalate beyond reasonableness, the legal system is biased in favour of David not Goliath regardless of any (unreasonable/unenforceable) t&c regarding inspection of goods prior to signature. But wait for outcome of AMs inspection prior to any further action, that outcome may be favourable and not require you to change your name to David.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants