Afraid to sell phone brought from CEX

21 replies
Found 15th Mar
I brought a google pixel from cex in January and it got blocked today, i took it back but they would only give me a replacement and not refund. i don't want the replacement they gave me so was thinking of selling, but what if that gets blocked a few months down the line ? I'm scared of being left out of pocket, what should i do ?

21 Comments

Bought.

Use - checkmend.com/uk/
It will tell you all info you need to know before selling

Won't Cex buy it off you or will you lose too much on it selling to them
Edited by: "darkclouds" 15th Mar

Nothing you can do, but if it happens a second time you are entitled to a full refund under UK law because them replacing it counts as a "repair" if a retailer repairs an item and that fails you are entitled to your money back no question if within 1-6 months.
In this case it would be fine up to 2 years because a blocked phone means it was faulty from date of purchase.

You could also sue them under different grounds but you'd have to put some work into that, the above can be done without fuss and stress.

Srell it elsewhere?

my mum always said...........don't go into Cex shops X)

ame2607

Use - https://www.checkmend.com/uk/It will tell you all info you need to … Use - https://www.checkmend.com/uk/It will tell you all info you need to know before selling

​All that does is give you the status now. Same as CEX would have done when they bought the original from to (fraudulent) seller. The phone can pass their check today and then be blocked tomorrow

Original Poster

yeah I'm losing to much for it to be worth it.

That's fine if i keep the phone but I don't really want the phone, I'm scared i'll sell it and in 3 months time the person that brought it off me want's their money back.

darkclouds

robo989

Nothing you can do, but if it happens a second time you are entitled to a … Nothing you can do, but if it happens a second time you are entitled to a full refund under UK law because them replacing it counts as a "repair" if a retailer repairs an item and that fails you are entitled to your money back no question if within 1-6 months.In this case it would be fine up to 2 years because a blocked phone means it was faulty from date of purchase.You could also sue them under different grounds but you'd have to put some work into that, the above can be done without fuss and stress.

ame2607

Use - https://www.checkmend.com/uk/It will tell you all info you need to … Use - https://www.checkmend.com/uk/It will tell you all info you need to know before selling

Yeah i know the phone isn't blocked now but like the one i had before it could be blocked in 2 months time.

Your first mista... err never mind.

sell it with receipt? so if anything happens they can take it back.

darkclouds

robo989

Nothing you can do, but if it happens a second time you are entitled to … Nothing you can do, but if it happens a second time you are entitled to a full refund under UK law because them replacing it counts as a "repair" if a retailer repairs an item and that fails you are entitled to your money back no question if within 1-6 months.In this case it would be fine up to 2 years because a blocked phone means it was faulty from date of purchase.You could also sue them under different grounds but you'd have to put some work into that, the above can be done without fuss and stress.

ame2607

Use - https://www.checkmend.com/uk/It will tell you all info you need … Use - https://www.checkmend.com/uk/It will tell you all info you need to know before selling

That's the question I answered. You don't legally have any option to counter this effectively with respect to this.
Phones and pawnbrokers do not go well together.

Original Poster

splatsplatsplat

I know, I know.

drtongue

It's got my name on it, won't that effect the person that buys it ?

splatsplatsplat

drtongue

​Not your problem, you will have sold it in good faith and proved to the buyer that you bought it legitimately, it's up to the buyer if they want to risk it.

Original Poster

acholmes2000

​Not your problem, you will have sold it in good faith and proved to the b … ​Not your problem, you will have sold it in good faith and proved to the buyer that you bought it legitimately, it's up to the buyer if they want to risk it.

Thanks for the advice, I suppose your right, i'll make sure i'll provide them with the receipt.

Banned

megatron20

Thanks for the advice, I suppose your right, i'll make sure i'll provide … Thanks for the advice, I suppose your right, i'll make sure i'll provide them with the receipt.

Call up and report the imei so you get it blocked and can then take it back for a full refund.
Where's the problem?

squiff

Bought.

​Maybe he just took it?

I wouldn't worry too much. Provide the receipt - Cex are a massive company now so no risk you're going to look dishonest. You've been quite unlucky as phones don't tend to get barred three months later unless the original buyer hasn't kept up with their bills. Usually an insurance claim is made days or at most a couple of weeks after the sale.

It's also very rare for a phone to get blocked in the grand scheme of things. It happens but you'd be very unlucky if it happened twice in my opinion.

robo989

Nothing you can do, but if it happens a second time you are entitled to a … Nothing you can do, but if it happens a second time you are entitled to a full refund under UK law because them replacing it counts as a "repair" if a retailer repairs an item and that fails you are entitled to your money back no question if within 1-6 months.In this case it would be fine up to 2 years because a blocked phone means it was faulty from date of purchase.You could also sue them under different grounds but you'd have to put some work into that, the above can be done without fuss and stress.

I had lots of 'fuss and stress' with Motorola who steadfastly refused to give a refund on a faulty phone. The only choices I was left with were a Section 75 claim or court action - lots of fuss and stress!

Why do so many people say "brought" instead of bought on this website? I have used this site for years and still I don't understand what the logic is. Some kind of old joke I missed?

Icalldibs

Why do so many people say "brought" instead of bought on this website? I … Why do so many people say "brought" instead of bought on this website? I have used this site for years and still I don't understand what the logic is. Some kind of old joke I missed?

You have brought it to my attention.

P.s hotukdeals spelling & grammar are off the charts, 90% of your comment is in red

Original Poster

This situation just got even worse, I received the replacement phone today but the manager of my local store straight up lied to me, she said that i would get a voucher for the difference between what they sell the phone for now and what i brought it for 2 months ago. today when i opened the parcel there was no voucher so i went to the store and confronted her, now she said that she never even said anything about a voucher and never would, she just straight up lying to me and i can't do anything because it's my word against hers. I'm never shopping at their shop again. i can accept the blocked phone thing but straight up lying to me is inexcusable.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…18226654
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769620
    3. One4all gift cards can only be converted to Amazon codes until MIDNIGHT TON…55
    4. Dr Who ..............CARE this thread may contain Spoilers.54843

See more discussions