Groups

After a cinema system to connect to ps3 via optical cable

Back in november i ordered the Panasonic SC-PT570EB-K from amazon for £205 but now they are telling me they haven't any in stock and they can't guarentee they'll get any more in stock now. Else where its over £300 and thats to expensive so i was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a good alternitave, would like the tall boy speakers, optical connection and an Ipod dock but not essential, thanks for any help as am struggling to find one as dont no alot about them, also my budget is £205 max

10 Comments

Original Poster

only want it for the sound and apparently optical is a better conection...

en_ger_land;7520654

only want it for the sound and apparently optical is a better conection...

i believe hdmi is actually preferred over optical.

Unless you have the Slim PS3 you do not get any of the surround sound modes, only stereo over HDMI as the older PS3s do not bitstream only 2 channel linear PCM. The slim can bitstream over HDMI so u have to go optical to get surround. I am after a new sound system because of this also. It's a real pain!

Dazman;7526555

Unless you have the Slim PS3 you do not get any of the surround sound … Unless you have the Slim PS3 you do not get any of the surround sound modes, only stereo over HDMI as the older PS3s do not bitstream only 2 channel linear PCM. The slim can bitstream over HDMI so u have to go optical to get surround. I am after a new sound system because of this also. It's a real pain!

absolutely right

I had a denon 1908 receiver, my ps3 phat was connected via hdmi only, I received 5.1 surround perfectly.

optical >>>

Optical can't handle true HD sound so if you are after such, hdmi is the only option. The phat ps3 can send via PCM decoded to a relevent receiver or the slim can actually send it bitstream so the receiver can decode it and then you can have the fancy little light come on.
    I'm certain if you ask on avforums hdmi would be the preferred connection if possible

shanecr;7527764

I had a denon 1908 receiver, my ps3 phat was connected via hdmi only, I … I had a denon 1908 receiver, my ps3 phat was connected via hdmi only, I received 5.1 surround perfectly.

engadget.com/200…st/

Alfonse;7527996

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/21/ps3-slim-bitsreams-dolby-truehd-and-dts-hd-ma-audio-at-last/

confirms what I've said

Original Poster

Ok i have a phat 60gb ps3 So if i was to get a panasonic surround sound system ie. Panasonic SC-PT470EB, and connected via hdmi that would be the best possible connection right? thanks for all the replies rep added
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word association Game73944533
      2. What do you feel like whinging about today?1927371
      3. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would1947
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767359

See more discussions