Groups

After a little advice with a faulty ps3 60 gig

I have been offered a sony ps3 60gig with a faulty blu ray drive (error reading discs) for £50 with all leads and a controller

Has anyone had any experience repairing these, are they easy to do or would it be better to give it a miss.

21 Comments

I suppose you could try to get it replaced for free by Sony?

hotukdeals.com/ite…ou/

there was a few people that got this problem after they updated the new firmware 2.42 ,

Original Poster

Abvance;2757930

I suppose you could try to get it replaced for free by … I suppose you could try to get it replaced for free by Sony?http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/138534/free-replacement-psp-or-ps3-for-you/

Worth a shot but this is out of the 1 year warrenty

Original Poster

charlie2;2757939

there was a few people that got this problem after they updated the new … there was a few people that got this problem after they updated the new firmware 2.42 ,

read that also found the replacement parts for £35 dont know whether to get it or not

do you reckon it might be possible to fix its self with a new firmware update? or is something broken?

Original Poster

charlie2;2757973

do you reckon it might be possible to fix its self with a new firmware … do you reckon it might be possible to fix its self with a new firmware update? or is something broken?

Not to sure, is it worth the £50 out lay to find out

hi my cousin had this issue with his ps3 after updating it then got a replacement which had a different problem then got another which works fine all from sony so sony should know that that certain 60gbs have had issues with firmware 2.42 and even 2.40 so if u say to them just updated to 2.42 and discs stop reading and that the ps3 has been kept in good condition they may help you for free

Original Poster

rocko5000;2758013

hi my cousin had this issue with his ps3 after updating it then got a … hi my cousin had this issue with his ps3 after updating it then got a replacement which had a different problem then got another which works fine all from sony so sony should know that that certain 60gbs have had issues with firmware 2.42 and even 2.40 so if u say to them just updated to 2.42 and discs stop reading and that the ps3 has been kept in good condition they may help you for free

So might be well worth £50 then :thumbsup:

well maybe if you can't fix it at a reasonable price, someone who has greater understanding of ps3's and nows how to fix it, might buy it of you for your cost price? it is a gamble

Original Poster

charlie2;2758060

well maybe if you can't fix it at a reasonable price, someone who has … well maybe if you can't fix it at a reasonable price, someone who has greater understanding of ps3's and nows how to fix it, might buy it of you for your cost price? it is a gamble

Just had a look on ebay and one has been bid uptp £117 with 1day 8 hours to go so might be worth it.

has anyone had any expierience repairing these

if you want to you can get someone to install the infectus chip to the ps3 as this allows you to downgrade the firmware on it but wouldn't do it until system is running again just try ring sony see what they say

Original Poster

rocko5000;2758106

if you want to you can get someone to install the infectus chip to the … if you want to you can get someone to install the infectus chip to the ps3 as this allows you to downgrade the firmware on it but wouldn't do it until system is running again just try ring sony see what they say

Going to go for it picking it up thursday

(going to have fun opening it up) :thumbsup:

Good luck with it :thumbsup:

Good decision - I reckon it's well worth £50. Sounds like (a) you have a good chance of fixing it (b) you'll have fun trying, and (c) if it doesn't work you can sell it as broken on ebay and still make a profit!

I second the good luck!

Original Poster

Liddle ol' me;2758274

Good decision - I reckon it's well worth £50. Sounds like (a) you have a … Good decision - I reckon it's well worth £50. Sounds like (a) you have a good chance of fixing it (b) you'll have fun trying, and (c) if it doesn't work you can sell it as broken on ebay and still make a profit! I second the good luck!

THX

Cant wait :-D

I love taking things apart to see how they work but didnt want to buy a ps3 at full price to do it so its a great chance for me

For the love of god, don't take it apart!!

If the warranty seal is still intact, contact Sony. Tell them that you believe you bought it 11 months ago, and it was working great until you downloaded the newest firmware.

Only if Sony do not help at all, then do your worst with a hex-driver.

These things are a nightmare to work on.

Well worth £50 though

Original Poster

Heavertron;2758511

For the love of god, don't take it apart!!If the warranty seal is still … For the love of god, don't take it apart!!If the warranty seal is still intact, contact Sony. Tell them that you believe you bought it 11 months ago, and it was working great until you downloaded the newest firmware.Only if Sony do not help at all, then do your worst with a hex-driver.These things are a nightmare to work on.Well worth £50 though

But i want to take it to bits LOL (hex-driver ready and waiting)
    But i see where your coming from i was going to call sony anyway as i have done that several times with the psp's but as of lately sony are wanting proof of purchase on some of the older models grrrrrrrrr

it cant be bad for 50 surely!.. hope you get it sorted! *jelous*
    someone will buy it if you dont i guess.

Original Poster

MissRoo;2758639

it cant be bad for 50 surely!.. hope you get it sorted! *jelous*someone … it cant be bad for 50 surely!.. hope you get it sorted! *jelous*someone will buy it if you dont i guess.

That’s what i was thinking when it was offered but just wanted to be sure and by the sounds of it i cant go wrong (touch wood)

imortal;2758696

That’s what i was thinking when it was offered but just wanted to be sure … That’s what i was thinking when it was offered but just wanted to be sure and by the sounds of it i cant go wrong (touch wood)

I think there's always a way to fix stuff now :thumbsup: good buy (hehe)

Original Poster

MissRoo;2758721

I think there's always a way to fix stuff now :thumbsup: good buy (hehe)

Oh yes i think it might be a good buy
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?1219
      2. How dangerous is Donald trump?28128
      3. What are you loving on the BBC at the moment?63218
      4. Can't delete friends on Xbox 360 or accept any friend requests, anyone know…33

See more discussions