Groups

Agadir - Morocco

Hi all,

Me and the Mrs are off to Agadir next month on an all inclusive for a week. If you've been there yourself on the same basis can you advise how much money you took? Is it comparable to Turkey? Cheap and haggling in shops etc?

8 Comments

Was in Marrakech in Dec, haggling is expected there, don't know if prices compare with Turkey but from what I've read it will not be as cheap. We were AI like you for 11 days and my other half is a " shopper " and managed to go through about £800.

Agadir is lovely although it won't be as warm this time of year. The restaurants along the marina aren't cheap,but if you drive out a little the food can be cheaper. As for the shopping markets,haggling is a must..but I agree,things aren't very cheap and shop owners/assistants do not budge on prices that much.

There are cashpoints,so even if you do run out of money it shouldn't be a problem

We went all inclusive last year, hardly spent anything. Hired some scooter type bikes to go along the prom one day, taxi prices incredibly cheap, and also the official taxis have cards with the prices to get to any main area for a fixed price, so you know exactly how much you will pay in advance. If you want to shop , the main souk is great for haggling, shops are more fixed price, especially the main one behind the beach at the marina end of town. We probably spent about £150 tops between four of us. The only thing we found expensive was lunch at the airport on the way home, but I think that's standard everywhere.
    Haggle like mad at the souk and go first thing in the morning before the locals go, the stall holders have more time then and will bring their prices down more. We bought some very cheap watches for my son (about £3 each) , four sets of table runners about £3 each again, wooden boxes for jewellery etc between £4-£7 for really intricate ones. Shoes between £3-£4 typical Moroccan style open back ones. Prices in the main shop behind the marina are cheap too though, bought a lovely rug for approx 1.5 X 1 metre very soft but thin enough to bring home in suitcase £6ish.
    Henna tattoos are very pretty but all use black henna so personally I would avoid them as too much likelihood of an adverse reaction.
    Hope that helps but shout if you are planning anything in particular and I will try and help, popping back this summer and can't wait , it's lovely .
    We did all our own excursions by taxi, eg up to old Agadir, walking around the old walls etc.Taxi driver will take you, wait while you spend your hour or however long exploring and then take you on to where you want to go next all for a set price, think the most we paid was less than £10 when we had had the driver for about 2 1/2 hours.
    If your hotel is 4/5 star all inclusive I doubt you will see any need to eat / drink out , we had a really good range of food including traditional Moroccan varieties each day, so I don't now about restaurant prices.
    Also we had a full range of sports,arts,cooking etc activities and nightly shows so there was always something to do. If you are right on the beach, the sand goes on forever, so long sea walks are a must too.
    Hope you have a lovely time .

Edited by: "tinkerbellian" 25th Feb

Original Poster

tinkerbellian

We went all inclusive last year, hardly spent anything. Hired some … We went all inclusive last year, hardly spent anything. Hired some scooter type bikes to go along the prom one day, taxi prices incredibly cheap, and also the official taxis have cards with the prices to get to any main area for a fixed price, so you know exactly how much you will pay in advance. If you want to shop , the main souk is great for haggling, shops are more fixed price, especially the main one behind the beach at the marina end of town. We probably spent about £150 tops between four of us. The only thing we found expensive was lunch at the airport on the way home, but I think that's standard everywhere.Haggle like mad at the souk and go first thing in the morning before the locals go, the stall holders have more time then and will bring their prices down more. We bought some very cheap watches for my son (about £3 each) , four sets of table runners about £3 each again, wooden boxes for jewellery etc between £4-£7 for really intricate ones. Shoes between £3-£4 typical Moroccan style open back ones. Prices in the main shop behind the marina are cheap too though, bought a lovely rug for approx 1.5 X 1 metre very soft but thin enough to bring home in suitcase £6ish.Henna tattoos are very pretty but all use black henna so personally I would avoid them as too much likelihood of an adverse reaction.Hope that helps but shout if you are planning anything in particular and I will try and help, popping back this summer and can't wait , it's lovely .We did all our own excursions by taxi, eg up to old Agadir, walking around the old walls etc.Taxi driver will take you, wait while you spend your hour or however long exploring and then take you on to where you want to go next all for a set price, think the most we paid was less than £10 when we had had the driver for about 2 1/2 hours.If your hotel is 4/5 star all inclusive I doubt you will see any need to eat / drink out , we had a really good range of food including traditional Moroccan varieties each day, so I don't now about restaurant prices.Also we had a full range of sports,arts,cooking etc activities and nightly shows so there was always something to do. If you are right on the beach, the sand goes on forever, so long sea walks are a must too.Hope you have a lovely time .

​Thank you so much. This is perfect. We are going to a very nice hotel so I doubt we'll dine outside of the hotel as we are all Inc etc. But we'll probably venture out. I enjoy a good haggle! Been to Turkey many times and its always a good laugh. Once I get a bit of a tan they all mistake me for a local anyway!

There isn't much to do in agadir. If you're in a nice hotel then you will venture out a little but then you want to head back to the pool. Get hold of some good quality Argan oil, amazing for hair and skin

itsdavidjones1984

Hi all, Me and the Mrs are off to Agadir next month on an all … Hi all, Me and the Mrs are off to Agadir next month on an all inclusive for a week. If you've been there yourself on the same basis can you advise how much money you took? Is it comparable to Turkey? Cheap and haggling in shops etc?

Came back from Marrakesh a week ago, nice place but doubt I would go again. Do not exchange money at the airport in the UK they will rip you off as I was. Best to exchange your money there. Perhaps exchange £100 as you never know you may need money for a taxi etc.

Do not ask people for directions off the street as they may show you and then ask for money, they wont leave you alone. People in the shops are nice they will usually tell you without asking for anything.

Anyone who says it's free. It's not just say NO.

At some tourist attractions e.g. snake charmers etc may ask you to take a picture of them, don't unless you are willing to pay.

Try not to take videos of the locals or the entertainers as they mind, if you do, make it not so obvious.

Taxi's may rip you off but you have to haggle. Shops usually charge you a high price for something, but again haggle to something low to the point if they are not interested then walk out they often cal you back.

Malls have fixed prices but not in the soukes.
    Drink bottled water, we were told to do this so did not have any issues.

I'm unsure of the currency compared to Turkey but I think we got £1 = 8 MAD at Gatwick.

but when we exchanged money in Morocco we got £1 = 12 MAD so you can do the Math.

Hope this helps.

PS If you want to go camel riding, haggle, i got a 20 minute rid with me and my son for £10 which is more than enough.

itsdavidjones1984

​Thank you so much. This is perfect. We are going to a very nice hotel so … ​Thank you so much. This is perfect. We are going to a very nice hotel so I doubt we'll dine outside of the hotel as we are all Inc etc. But we'll probably venture out. I enjoy a good haggle! Been to Turkey many times and its always a good laugh. Once I get a bit of a tan they all mistake me for a local anyway!

No problem, going back this year as I had a suspected broken toe the day before we went last year so we missed out on a couple of things, hoping to go up the Anti Atlas Mountains this time. It sounds like Marrakesh is quite different from Agadir in a lot of respects. In regards to the souk, I would avoid the animal part , each gate leads to a different area eg spices, clothes etc. it's easy enough to miss the animal/meat section out , as it can be quite unpleasant. Dont be tempted to use unregistered taxis , registered ones are white mercs for 4 people and from memory orange cars for 2/3 people. They drive up and down the main road in front of the hotels and you flag them down. Once we got one the first day we booked him for the next trip we wanted to do as well.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1012
      2. Do you have one of these 2.1 million 50p's selling for 20x its value?917
      3. love affairs912
      4. word association Game73844475

See more discussions