Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Against the law to car horn?

Posted 4th Dec
Is it against the law to use your horn, if you've pulled up outside someone's house and beep them to say you are waiting outside?

This is past 8am.

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
You have to marvel at the menta! capacity of the person asking the question.

I do some charity related shift work that sees me home between 2.00 & 6.00 a.m. See if the minute quantity of grey matter holding your ears apart can figure a reason why I might find being woken at 8. Try using your mobile and disturbing only those inside one house.

What a world we live in when someone can't even work this out for themselves.
Have any of you passed a driving test? It's absolutely illegal:

"A horn should not be sounded when stationary on a road at any time, other than at times of danger due to another vehicle on or near the road."
Edited by: "the_adjudicator" 4th Dec
rboyo201004/12/2019 08:47

Yes minimum 6 month sentence

Thought it was life. Might be mistaken. Will check again. Thanks.
46 Comments
Why not ring the doorbell !!
deleted1471098
No. Unless it is causing a nuisance. A quick beep will not be considered as causing a nuisance.
Edited by: "deleted1471098" 4th Dec
After 11pm yes but not at 8am.
Is it school parents ? Lol
I horn or ring the person I pick up but that's middle of day
You might get your car keyed, but not against the law.
Have any of you passed a driving test? It's absolutely illegal:

"A horn should not be sounded when stationary on a road at any time, other than at times of danger due to another vehicle on or near the road."
Edited by: "the_adjudicator" 4th Dec

and the home Sec (nasty piece) might be thinking of bringing back hanging for this offence I was told.
the_adjudicator04/12/2019 08:47

Have any of you passed a driving test? It's absolutely illegal:"A horn …Have any of you passed a driving test? It's absolutely illegal:"A horn should not be sounded when stationary on a road at any time, other than at times of danger due to another vehicle on or near the road."

Thanks for that. Yeah, school run. Freezing here and no place to park so can't really get out of the car.

Normally I do ring on the door but no other passengers so left with no choice.
Edited by: "EN1GMA" 4th Dec

Even for a quick sharp beep? Not incessant beeping, which I can understand. Mine was just a quick short beep.

Well, at least I know you can't now.

Its against the law, read the highway code.
st8mike04/12/2019 09:02

Its against the law, read the highway code.

Totally understand if it was for constant beeping, but short, very quick beep, Abit draconian. But ti's the law so that's me knowledged for today.
You may find it is against the law to use you car horn in the manner you indicate....
ie. pulled up, so obviously stationary outside someone's house while you beep your horn.

The law states....

A horn should only be used when warning someone of danger, not to indicate your annoyance at a manner of driving.

A horn should not be sounded when stationary on a road at any time, other than at times of danger due to another vehicle on or near the road.

A horn should not be used on a moving vehicle on a restricted road (basically a road that has street lights and a 30mph limit) between the times of 11:30 pm and 7:00 am.

Others on here mention causing a nuisance..... if someone calls the police regarding you beeping your horn outside their house you are obviously causing enough of a nuisance for them to contact the police in the first place.

Is it really worth a potential fine or spending a day in Magistrates Court if you want to dispute any summons or ticket. Ring the doorbell.
TheRatedSeller04/12/2019 09:01

you are correct it is life, but you know with the sentences these days that’s about 2 years for good behaviour, Sky Q full package and PS4 included.
You have to marvel at the menta! capacity of the person asking the question.

I do some charity related shift work that sees me home between 2.00 & 6.00 a.m. See if the minute quantity of grey matter holding your ears apart can figure a reason why I might find being woken at 8. Try using your mobile and disturbing only those inside one house.

What a world we live in when someone can't even work this out for themselves.
Half of taxis should be off the road if this law was enforced. They always sound their horny outside houses where I live.

Have any of you passed a driving test? It's absolutely illegal:"A horn …Have any of you passed a driving test? It's absolutely illegal:"A horn should not be sounded when stationary on a road at any time, other than at times of danger due to another vehicle on or near the road."

DAMN RIGHT ..To rock up & alert a whole neighbourhood to your presence whilst you sit & wait for a mate because you are too lazy to think about simply knocking on a door is disrespectful to everyone nearby, day or night.

Being deaf my remaining hearing is valuable, when drivers do this right by me, I get angry & have strong words depending how flippant they are as a result.

OP & others you ought refresh your knowledge of the highway code, this isn't even new "bolt on!" its been like this nigh on forever, as ignorance is not an excuse say if you rock up, sound your horn, sit in your car on the street engine idling you are building up the offences, fines & point "potential"
MonkeysUncle04/12/2019 10:12

Half of taxis should be off the road if this law was enforced. They always …Half of taxis should be off the road if this law was enforced. They always sound their horny outside houses where I live.

You can make complaints to various bodies, police, taxi licensing body, uber etc.
EN1GMA04/12/2019 08:53

Thanks for that. Yeah, school run. Freezing here and no place to park so …Thanks for that. Yeah, school run. Freezing here and no place to park so can't really get out of the car.Normally I do ring on the door but no other passengers so left with no choice.

By no place to park you actually mean nowhere convenient for you? ..park down the street, or however far you need to then walk a bit, its what folk do except the complete effwits, don't become one of those (please) .or say to the person you are picking up, parking is awful in your street, make sure you are out a minute or two before my timed arrival so I don't have to hang about, & don't cause more congestion.

When folk want lifts & are appreciative they should get out early (on time) more basic manners extended to the neighbourhood & the driver.
ccnp04/12/2019 09:53

You have to marvel at the menta! capacity of the person asking the …You have to marvel at the menta! capacity of the person asking the question. I do some charity related shift work that sees me home between 2.00 & 6.00 a.m. See if the minute quantity of grey matter holding your ears apart can figure a reason why I might find being woken at 8. Try using your mobile and disturbing only those inside one house.What a world we live in when someone can't even work this out for themselves.

Thanks for the personal insults. I've had people beeping outside my house. Short beep, like another poster mentioned, I hear taxis do it all the time so I asked because I wanted clarification.

To me, it wasn't obvious, dare I say like many things in the highway code. I'm sure many people who are quoting the highway code have not complied with all the laws and rules themselves 100% of the time.

Just don't get the sarky comments. I asked in a polite way and people still get a hump.

Where are you getting that from? Generally "should not" means it's against the highway code, "must not" means it's illegal. But I see rule 112:

You MUST NOT use your horn
  • while stationary on the road
  • when driving in a built-up area between the hours of 11.30 pm and 7.00 am
except when another road user poses a danger.

highwaycodeuk.co.uk/oth…tml
Mr_Gus04/12/2019 10:22

By no place to park you actually mean nowhere convenient for you? ..park …By no place to park you actually mean nowhere convenient for you? ..park down the street, or however far you need to then walk a bit, its what folk do except the complete effwits, don't become one of those (please) .or say to the person you are picking up, parking is awful in your street, make sure you are out a minute or two before my timed arrival so I don't have to hang about, & don't cause more congestion.When folk want lifts & are appreciative they should get out early (on time) more basic manners extended to the neighbourhood & the driver.

I've already made provisions as soon as I got home. I don't want to pee people off and wasn't going to beep from tomorrow. As I said, I normally get one of the passengers to go and knock on the door but no other person today. And no parking spaces, probably some 5 minutes away.
Dodge6204/12/2019 10:34

Where are you getting that from? Generally "should not" means it's against …Where are you getting that from? Generally "should not" means it's against the highway code, "must not" means it's illegal. But I see rule 112: You MUST NOT use your hornwhile stationary on the roadwhen driving in a built-up area between the hours of 11.30 pm and 7.00 amexcept when another road user poses a danger.https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/other-stopping-procedures.html

I've heard of that before too now that you mention it re must not and should not.

Not sure what context it was in, but it was some legal issue I read about (possibly on Hukd)
Misslovely04/12/2019 08:41

After 11pm yes but not at 8am. Is it school parents ? LolI horn or ring …After 11pm yes but not at 8am. Is it school parents ? LolI horn or ring the person I pick up but that's middle of day

Naughty naughty
Can you not get out your car and knock? Kind of old fashioned, I get that, but doesn’t disturb others. Guess that kind of an old fashioned thought too, thinking of others.
choccie3204/12/2019 10:52

Can you not get out your car and knock? Kind of old fashioned, I get that, …Can you not get out your car and knock? Kind of old fashioned, I get that, but doesn’t disturb others. Guess that kind of an old fashioned thought too, thinking of others.

Do people not read responses? Or are people just trolling?

I normally always get a passenger to knock as I realise it can be disturbing to horn.

This was a one off, on my own, and I'm feeling under the weather.

Anyway, question has been answered. Many thanks to all those who responded constructively.
EN1GMA04/12/2019 10:36

I've already made provisions as soon as I got home. I don't want to pee …I've already made provisions as soon as I got home. I don't want to pee people off and wasn't going to beep from tomorrow. As I said, I normally get one of the passengers to go and knock on the door but no other person today. And no parking spaces, probably some 5 minutes away.

I'm sure the neighbours appreciate it, simple things like that make close living easier to handle!

Tell the person you are picking up to "up their game" as its the driver who gets the points, fines, day in court etc..
When I relied on lifts (country living) the rule was, if I wasn't there they would drive on! ..that works well
If in a modern car with bluetooth its also easy to give em a ring & put down the phone as a "2 minute warning" of arrival lessening the impact.
If you are doing them the favour of a lift its really down to them to be on time, or else it makes everyone late right!?

On another note Enigma, is it you arriving late to the pick up or the person cadging a lifts own laziness / slack timekeeping expecting everyone else to get them someplace on time? (or something else like heavy traffic delays)
Mr_Gus04/12/2019 11:01

I'm sure the neighbours appreciate it, simple things like that make close …I'm sure the neighbours appreciate it, simple things like that make close living easier to handle! Tell the person you are picking up to "up their game" as its the driver who gets the points, fines, day in court etc.. When I relied on lifts (country living) the rule was, if I wasn't there they would drive on! ..that works well If in a modern car with bluetooth its also easy to give em a ring & put down the phone as a "2 minute warning" of arrival lessening the impact.If you are doing them the favour of a lift its really down to them to be on time, or else it makes everyone late right!?On another note Enigma, is it you arriving late to the pick up or the person cadging a lifts own laziness / slack timekeeping expecting everyone else to get them someplace on time? (or something else like heavy traffic delays)

I'm always on time. I'll get there early sometimes but won't knock on the door until the time it is to leave.

Like I said, I've already had a conversation with said person, no more beeps.
EN1GMA04/12/2019 10:58

Do people not read responses? Or are people just trolling?I normally …Do people not read responses? Or are people just trolling?I normally always get a passenger to knock as I realise it can be disturbing to horn.This was a one off, on my own, and I'm feeling under the weather.Anyway, question has been answered. Many thanks to all those who responded constructively.

Welcome to the internet. You ask a question and people answer it. Just because you don’t like the answer doesn’t mean people are trolling.

A suggestion for the title to get answers you want in this thread : people who honk the horn outside someone’s house - can you answer this question only?
Edited by: "choccie32" 4th Dec
OP, galpharm 59p cold & flu tablets & some cheap parecetamol to top up the effects, often as good as the expensive alternatives.
(unless you are allergic)

"tis the season" for feeling cack!
choccie3204/12/2019 11:06

Welcome to the internet. You ask a question and people answer it. Just …Welcome to the internet. You ask a question and people answer it. Just because you don’t like the answer doesn’t mean people are trolling. A suggestion for the title to get answers you want in this thread : people who like honking the horn outside someone’s house - is it ok?

I also think if you ask in a genuine way, you'll get polite, non condescending answers. Well, at least in this place anyway.

I would hazard a guess that everyone is not clued up on every rule in the highway code. Should we be? Yes. But the reality is we're not.
Mr_Gus04/12/2019 11:10

OP, galpharm 59p cold & flu tablets & some cheap parecetamol to top up …OP, galpharm 59p cold & flu tablets & some cheap parecetamol to top up the effects, often as good as the expensive alternatives.(unless you are allergic)"tis the season" for feeling cack!

Galpharm? Is that just from normal chemist or a own brand from aldi/lidl? I'm sure I've seen that name before in those stores, could be wrong though.

Thanks for the tip
Mr_Gus04/12/2019 11:01

is it you arriving late to the pick up or the person cadging a lifts own …is it you arriving late to the pick up or the person cadging a lifts own laziness / slack timekeeping expecting everyone else to get them someplace on time?

I'm guessing you don't have school-age kids. Or if you do they're immaculately on-time and never late for anything.
EN1GMA04/12/2019 11:18

Galpharm? Is that just from normal chemist or a own brand from aldi/lidl? …Galpharm? Is that just from normal chemist or a own brand from aldi/lidl? I'm sure I've seen that name before in those stores, could be wrong though.Thanks for the tip

poundstretcher / poundland (etc) type place "generic" ..save yourself a fortune having these on standby for everyone I had to find a viable alternative when they banned the old style "contac" pills (& this combination is cheaper)

Essentially the caffeine & paracetomol kick in easy swallow form, with a paracetomol chaser to top up against aches & pains! NB go in with a mate & both buy them as you are limited as to how many packs you can buy, I get a few weeks worth at a time as you need 3 - 4 x lots per 24 hours.

But pretty cheap & effective, & cheap enough to throw at others who are coughing away in your confined space (car) spreading their lurgie.
Dodge6204/12/2019 11:34

I'm guessing you don't have school-age kids. Or if you do they're …I'm guessing you don't have school-age kids. Or if you do they're immaculately on-time and never late for anything.

School age, & yes sometimes late but brought up not to be, my kid leaves for school at 6.45 am - 7.15 am depending on work hours.
Appreciative kid for having the opportunity to choose a different school compared to the not great "local" secondary & have someone drive her there.
She knows that if other people offer something like their time or services when they don't have, to be grateful, polite & punctual wherever possible.

(She also knows what it is like to wait outside for a lift for 30 minutes beyond the pick up time because no-one called to say they would be late, mid winter with zero cover) rather than taking a lift for granted.
Edited by: "Mr_Gus" 4th Dec
Mr_Gus04/12/2019 11:38

poundstretcher / poundland (etc) type place "generic" ..save yourself a …poundstretcher / poundland (etc) type place "generic" ..save yourself a fortune having these on standby for everyone I had to find a viable alternative when they banned the old style "contac" pills (& this combination is cheaper)Essentially the caffeine & paracetomol kick in easy swallow form, with a paracetomol chaser to top up against aches & pains! NB go in with a mate & both buy them as you are limited as to how many packs you can buy, I get a few weeks worth at a time as you need 3 - 4 x lots per 24 hours.But pretty cheap & effective, & cheap enough to throw at others who are coughing away in your confined space (car) spreading their lurgie.

On the shopping list. I'll be stocking up for brexit
EN1GMA04/12/2019 11:16

I also think if you ask in a genuine way, you'll get polite, non …I also think if you ask in a genuine way, you'll get polite, non condescending answers. Well, at least in this place anyway.I would hazard a guess that everyone is not clued up on every rule in the highway code. Should we be? Yes. But the reality is we're not.

You don’t need to know the Highway Code to be considerate of others. Sorry that appeared to cause offence.
EN1GMA04/12/2019 12:12

On the shopping list. I'll be stocking up for brexit On the shopping list. I'll be stocking up for brexit

Forgot to add, if you are ok with hayfever tablets (diddy ceterizine ones) they help dry you up nasal drippiness etc ..again generic & cheap ...not just for high pollen days (one in the morning).
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions