Expired

Air diffuser recommendations

Found 11th Aug 2013
Hi all,

I have had sinus issues for a very long time and a friend of mine recommended an Air Diffuser. I tried the following:

amazon.co.uk/Dif…ser

This diffuser was quite nice and mainly used Olbus Oil in it but I was rushed into hospital a year ago and have been in and out since. The diffuser was left out with water in it and I forgot about it and now its quite dirty and rotten because it wasn't cleaned regularly. I started it back up and cleaned it out but it's got issues with the fan and doesn't work properly.

As it makes quite the rattling noise I can't use it at night so I'm looking for another one.

Can anybody recommend any similar product?

The main needs are using Olbus Oil for a clear nose at night, also stress release and calming environment.

I recently had a bone marrow transplant so I'm looking for ways to de-stress and adopt them in my daily life.

Ideally I don't want to spend too much but if its a good product then I don't mind making an investment.

Thanks,
-c
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
Can't help, sorry. But, all the best for your recovery.
What about an oil diffuser?
You can even buy them in poundland, they look like this (but white)
http://cf.ltkcdn.net/herbs/images/std/145489-400x425-candle_diffuser.jpg

You put a tealight candle in the bottom and on the top you put oils mixed with water which then get heated by the candle and diffused into the air.

You can use olbas with it, and also The Body Shop do a lovely range (I'm not normally a Body Shop fan but their diffuser oils are absolutely wonderful).

Other ideas are Molton Brown Yuan Zhi room spray, it's a relaxing night time spray to relax you. The Body Shop do one but I'm not so keen but I've heard Avon's version is good as well.
I have a globe air purifier which you can add fragranced oil to the water, would this be any use to you?
Original Poster
sickly sweet

What about an oil diffuser?You can even buy them in poundland, they look … What about an oil diffuser?You can even buy them in poundland, they look like this (but white) You put a tealight candle in the bottom and on the top you put oils mixed with water which then get heated by the candle and diffused into the air.You can use olbas with it, and also The Body Shop do a lovely range (I'm not normally a Body Shop fan but their diffuser oils are absolutely wonderful).Other ideas are Molton Brown Yuan Zhi room spray, it's a relaxing night time spray to relax you. The Body Shop do one but I'm not so keen but I've heard Avon's version is good as well.

Thanks for this. I quite like the oil diffuser from poundland, but how long will one tea light last?
Original Poster
tracymac

I have a globe air purifier which you can add fragranced oil to the … I have a globe air purifier which you can add fragranced oil to the water, would this be any use to you?

Do you have any pictures? I like to use these products over night so ideally not too noisy.
ceanth

Thanks for this. I quite like the oil diffuser from poundland, but how … Thanks for this. I quite like the oil diffuser from poundland, but how long will one tea light last?

It's going to sound silly but it depends on which brand you go for. You'll normally get several hours, and then you can just pop another one in.
It's really good and you just pop water and a few drops of oil in the top bit.
It also doesn't look like poundland, if you know what I mean?! The brand is Coley and Gill, it's in a box and is ceramic etc.
I found it online, they've changed the design a bit, but basically the same.
poundland.co.uk/hom…hts
http://www.poundland.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/7/5/75115.jpg

Then get some oils, maybe pop into Neals Yard and talk to one of the people who know about the essential oils.
They might be able to recommend which oils can help with what you want (eg energy, relaxing, uplifting etc).
Also pop into The Body Shop for their oils, I love the green tea one (sounds odd, and I hate tea, but it's so fresh and lovely!) and the linen one, have a looksie here thebodyshop.co.uk/fra…spx
Original Poster
sickly sweet

I found it online, they've changed the design a bit, but basically the … I found it online, they've changed the design a bit, but basically the same.http://www.poundland.co.uk/home-and-garden/around-the-home/candles/aroma-lamp-set-with-oil-tea-lightsThen get some oils, maybe pop into Neals Yard and talk to one of the people who know about the essential oils.They might be able to recommend which oils can help with what you want (eg energy, relaxing, uplifting etc).Also pop into The Body Shop for their oils, I love the green tea one (sounds odd, and I hate tea, but it's so fresh and lovely!) and the linen one, have a looksie here http://www.thebodyshop.co.uk/fragrance/home-fragrance-oils.aspx

where it's the best place to get the tea lights from. I checked here and ikea 100 tea lights for just over £1! iI guess a need a burn time of at least 4 hours, enough time for me to be asleep
ceanth

where it's the best place to get the tea lights from. I checked here … where it's the best place to get the tea lights from. I checked here and ikea 100 tea lights for just over £1! iI guess a need a burn time of at least 4 hours, enough time for me to be asleep

I actually can'r remember where I got my last lot from, but I've heard that if you keep the tealights (or any candles) in the fridge before use then they burn slower.
Poundland sell a pack, 12 I think, for the sheer ease of it maybe just get a pack from there and give it a go for £2 all in!

Original Poster
sickly sweet

I actually can'r remember where I got my last lot from, but I've heard … I actually can'r remember where I got my last lot from, but I've heard that if you keep the tealights (or any candles) in the fridge before use then they burn slower.Poundland sell a pack, 12 I think, for the sheer ease of it maybe just get a pack from there and give it a go for £2 all in!

Very good point.

I'm in and out of hospital and currently IN hospital. I doubt they will let me light a tea light in my room so ill wait until I'm out (which should be a few weeks).

Thanks for your suggestion mate, appreciate it
ceanth

Very good point.I'm in and out of hospital and currently IN hospital. I … Very good point.I'm in and out of hospital and currently IN hospital. I doubt they will let me light a tea light in my room so ill wait until I'm out (which should be a few weeks). Thanks for your suggestion mate, appreciate it

I hope you get home soon.
I was recently in hospital for 2 weeks so know how horrible it can be. I hope you are on a quiet ward or side room so you can get some sleep.
Can you ask a friend to buy you one of the diffusers which have wooden sticks in them, I think they're called 'reed diffusers'? Or have a look on Amazon (so you can read the reviews, you don't want to get one which smells like cat pee) and get it delivered to friends/family who can bring it in for you? You can change the strength with the number of sticks/reeds you have in the bottle.

Alternatively, as a quick solution which may or may not work, you could try asking someone to bring in some of the oils you used form your last diffuser and an egg cup. Put some water in the egg cup and drop some oil into it and see if the smell permeates from it if you leave it on your bedside table? Dunno, it might at least give you a little scent of home and niceness rather than hospital until you can get something better.
Oh, I can recommend the Wax Lyrical English Lavender reed diffuser. I was given one last Christmas and it's still on the go.
The smell isn't chemically or overwhelming, it's gentle and lovely.

Also the Molton Brown Yuan Zhi room spray is relaxing in the evenings. Expensive but lasts for ages.

I hope you are on the mend and get home soon. Take care!
Original Poster
I'm in a private room as I have a weak immune system.

Question: can you use Olbus oil in the reed diffuser?

Can the liquid be topped up?
ceanth

I'm in a private room as I have a weak immune system.Question: can you … I'm in a private room as I have a weak immune system.Question: can you use Olbus oil in the reed diffuser?Can the liquid be topped up?

There are instructions online about how to make your own reed diffusers.
You wouldn't be able to add olbas to one of the ready-made ones eg the wax lyrical lavender one. It does smell nice though!

Linkys for making your own reed diffuser
naturesnurtureblog.com/201…rs/
thesoapkitchen.co.uk/ins…htm
wikihow.com/Mak…ers

You could buy this as the holder amazon.co.uk/Sty…ser
Then you need the base oil, eg amazon.co.uk/100…wer
Use your usual olbas oil from home.
And either a splash of vodka or rubbing alcohol to dilute the oil mix to help it get up the reeds properly.

Voila! Olbas oil reed diffuser for under a tenner so long as you have some of the olbas oil and alcohol at home.

You'd be able to top it up as much as you like as well and add more olbas if it's not strong enough for your liking or more base oil if too strong.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants