Air France plane disappeared off Radar

107 replies
Found 1st Jun 2009
An air france plane has disappeared off the coast of brazil over the atlantic and has not been seen on radar since 6 o clock this morning. not looking good.

We can but hope.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
105 Comments

Original Poster

are they LOST?

oh....hope its ok.

Maybe the US Govt was right, the GPS is going down, and there the cynic me was thinking they just wanted some funding!!

In all seriousness though if GPS goes down on aircraft they switch to land based tracking systems, if that goes down they eject a small rod out the fuselage which allows signals to bounce back so although ATC could not identify the object they could certainly tell there was something in the air, so if they are not showing on that they really are in trouble!

Original Poster

yup its not looking good, the chances of the transponder packing in is pretty much unheard of.

Banned

you cant tell me they dont know wether the plane has crashed/landed or is still flying in this day n age

casparwhite;5368452

you cant tell me they dont know wether the plane has crashed/landed or is … you cant tell me they dont know wether the plane has crashed/landed or is still flying in this day n age

Why not? The Atlantic is MASSIVE, could be anywhere, could have hit a storm and been diverted, if it's lost it's abaility to navigate they could be anywhere, may have turned around and landed on a disused airway, if the emergency communication has not deployed then there is no way of knowing where they are.

It's something out of Hollywood but Air France don't have a great track record for maintenance do they.

Original Poster

well if it has disappeared off the radar and has not arrived at its destiny then it really is not looking good, as it has been said they do have back up systems in case of failures this is why it is pointing towards a crash, but they cannot confirm anything until a wreckage has been found or until they knew that the plane could not possibly have flown anymore due to the amount of fuel it had on board. Even if the plane had made an emergency landing at another airport the planes location could be identified one way or another.

Original Poster

no they do not have a great record

brettytopbanana;5368482

no they do not have a great record

you know what else is a bad record?

Doop by Dopp - mid 90's cheese at its very worst

brettytopbanana;5368478

well if it has disappeared off the radar and has not arrived at its … well if it has disappeared off the radar and has not arrived at its destiny then it really is not looking good, as it has been said they do have back up systems in case of failures this is why it is pointing towards a crash, but they cannot confirm anything until a wreckage has been found or until they knew that the plane could not possibly have flown anymore due to the amount of fuel it had on board. Even if the plane had made an emergency landing at another airport the planes location could be identified one way or another.

I think it arrived at its destiny about 3 hours ago.

casparwhite;5368452

you cant tell me they dont know wether the plane has crashed/landed or is … you cant tell me they dont know wether the plane has crashed/landed or is still flying in this day n age

well now, until they physically find the plane or make contact they WONT say one way or the other for definate.

Babbabooey;5368496

I think it arrived at its destiny about 3 hours ago.

Let's all just hope for the best and that it's a technical error and those on board are none the wiser to our pessimistic assumptions. :thumbsup:

ms2005;5368521

Let's all just hope for the best and that it's a technical error and … Let's all just hope for the best and that it's a technical error and those on board are none the wiser to our pessimistic assumptions. :thumbsup:

I like your optimism, but I think it's misplaced unfortunately. If it had landed safely somewhere we would know by now.

just updated on sky news,Air France has lost hope of finding plane,Brazilian Air Force are searching

Original Poster

If that is the case then its very sad but they need to find the wreckage, and possible survivors, although that is highly unlikely.

Does the black box have a sort of transmitter on it so that they know where it could be?

Original Poster

the fact that there does not seem to have been any kind of mayday call suggests that it was something immediate.

brettytopbanana;5368624

If that is the case then its very sad but they need to find the wreckage, … If that is the case then its very sad but they need to find the wreckage, and possible survivors, although that is highly unlikely.Does the black box have a sort of transmitter on it so that they know where it could be?

no,they were off radar contact,they can use the north atlantic track to roughly locate but thats about 500 square mile area,no easy way sadly

Banned

http://www.ugo.com/tv/lost/images/bio-for-main-characters/john-locke.jpg

Original Poster

well the search is on for the wreckage. Shocking news.

Bad news all round, I hope the missus doesnt see the footage, we are due to fly to BA this year with Air France.

crass, and you say sun readers are scum.

edit: took out filths image.

Banned

ants97;5369213

crass, and you say sun readers are scum.edit: took out filths image.

Too soon?

I've deleted it in case any of their relatives are on here.

FilthAndFurry;5369239

Too soon?I've deleted it in case any of their relatives are on here.

Post #3 had already made the joke that everyone was thinking but didn't say.

wow this is sad :-(

Original Poster

well it seems the plane hit a very bad storm and severe turbulence where an electrical fault then occured. there was a mayday call but i guess the pilot just had to ditch the plane in the sea and at night that is not an easy thing to do.

Supermod

...they are not ruling out the aircraft being hit by lightning.

Banned

magicjay1986;5369610

...they are not ruling out the aircraft being hit by lightning.

they are also not ruling out godzilla and his little boy godsuki....

Pretty shocking story .......

11yr old from bristol confirmed to be on the flight.....

Original Poster

its sad it really is.
What i cannot also understand is that there is now also a witness pilot who claims to have seen burning in the ocean. Now surely common sense would kick in and say that if it is in the middle of the ocean it can only be 2 things- a ship or a plane.

i would have thought ATC would have contacted all planes in the area to keep an eye out for any crash sites etc etc.
They may struggle to even find the wreckage and black box now.

Maybe it was snakes.

Banned

smithyp1;5376724

Pretty shocking story ....... 11yr old from bristol confirmed to be on … Pretty shocking story ....... 11yr old from bristol confirmed to be on the flight.....

I believe it was Proust, or maybe Sartre who said 'c'est la vie'.

EDIT: On reflection it may have been Bewitched.

FilthAndFurry;5376939

I believe it was Proust, or maybe Sartre who said 'c'est la vie'.

not when your family was on board

brettytopbanana;5368416

yup its not looking good, the chances of the transponder packing in is … yup its not looking good, the chances of the transponder packing in is pretty much unheard of.

The transponder is pretty much redundant when flying through an area of no radar coverage.

casparwhite;5368452

ATC is pretty poor in brazil, the a/c flew through an area of no radar coverage which relies on pilots to report their position at waypoints.

brettytopbanana;5368624

Does the black box have a sort of transmitter on it so that they know … Does the black box have a sort of transmitter on it so that they know where it could be?

It does but only lasts 30 days and only has a range of 2 miles.

FF and others please keep your 'jokes' to yourselves i fail to see the humour behind 228 deaths.

Banned

lilsmithy;5377933

FF and others please keep your 'jokes' to yourselves i fail to see the … FF and others please keep your 'jokes' to yourselves i fail to see the humour behind 228 deaths.

Millions of people die everyday - I find humour in the way some people think this is of more importance because it's a way that they might die.

Once you accept that conceit then it's hard not to find humour in the whole facade.

brettytopbanana;5376750

its sad it really is.What i cannot also understand is that there is now … its sad it really is.What i cannot also understand is that there is now also a witness pilot who claims to have seen burning in the ocean. Now surely common sense would kick in and say that if it is in the middle of the ocean it can only be 2 things- a ship or a plane.i would have thought ATC would have contacted all planes in the area to keep an eye out for any crash sites etc etc.They may struggle to even find the wreckage and black box now.

I thought they said the witness pilot said he thought he saw an orange light out in the ocean? Could then be pretty much anything

It will be 48 hours soon, knowing the flight path it seems incredible that nothing has been found.

p.s I too find it strange that people joke about 228 deaths (some of which are known to be British). Still one day they will probably return with their own hard luck story looking for sympathy.

Banned

greg_68;5378058

It will be 48 hours soon, knowing the flight path it seems incredible … It will be 48 hours soon, knowing the flight path it seems incredible that nothing has been found.p.s I too find it strange that people joke about 228 deaths (some of which are known to be British). Still one day they will probably return with their own hard luck story looking for sympathy.

People have joked about death since the beginning of time. It's a fact of life so why bother taking it all so seriously.

Also, I don't need to air my grief in public.

FilthAndFurry;5378108

People have joked about death since the beginning of time. It's a fact of … People have joked about death since the beginning of time. It's a fact of life so why bother taking it all so seriously..

Perhaps it will not seem so funny when it happens to one of your nearest and dearest loved ones:roll:...you have a sick/warped sense of humour if you find so many deaths remotely funny.

FilthAndFurry;5377950

Millions of people die everyday - I find humour in the way some people … Millions of people die everyday - I find humour in the way some people think this is of more importance because it's a way that they might die. Once you accept that conceit then it's hard not to find humour in the whole facade.

Once you accept that no everyone finds it humorous, some even finding it offensive, you might want to keep the "humour" to yourself
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. So it turns out Micheal Winner is a perverted git22
    2. word association Game74244940
    3. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread428914684
    4. Add one, leave one game54415486

See more discussions