Air Fryers worth looking into?

Posted 3rd Jul
Don’t really like deep fat frying and have thought about an air fryer.

what are some of your personal experiences, tips, tricks and feelings towards buying and using an air fryer?
Community Updates
Ask
35 Comments
I've had one for about 2 years and love it. Initially sceptical and didn't think I'd use it much, but use it most days.

Great for so many different things, can do a large meal for one (meat, veg etc all in one go) in the bigger capacity ones or an average meal for two.

Loads of recipes and ideas around on them, quite a big following. Can be healthier, quicker and maybe more economical.
Depends what you want it for I guess. I have one (Tefal Actifry) and honestly wouldn’t recommend it if you are hoping to match a standard fryer. It is not even remotely close. Sometimes get decent results from it, but it’s remarkably hit and miss. It’s been at the back of our cupboard unused now for over a year.

If they were as good as the hype, chefs would use them, and I’m not aware of any that do...
Use mine ((Phillips) couple of times a week for frozen wedges, chips and hash browns. If it broke down would definitely buy another.
I've had my Morphy Richards one now for about 3 years. Use it most days and like gari189 if it broke I would buy another. Had 3 Tefal Actifry's before that, but they kept breaking and not as near a good as the Morphy Richards (it's like the Phillips one but cheaper, compare it to the price of the Phillips touch screen one for a laugh). Link below though I only paid £60 for mine.

MR Air Fryer - Amazon
I purchased some random brand from Lidl a couple of years ago as well as a £130 actifry and thought both were rubbish. Gone back to a normal fryer now and for chips once a fortnight i can live with the health concerns.
I saw the topic title and immediately thought... No, but telescopes are

I've sold a few of these but have never actually used one - don't they work the same as those halogen ovens that retail for about £30?
Don't waste your money unless you like frozen food.
I've got a Tefal one and it's a brilliant piece of kit. Cooks food super quick and its well cooked. I spray a little oil on it an it tastes better than it would in the oven. I'd go for a bigger one though.
I've a tefal not cooked anything anywhere near as good as oven or fryer.
I love mine (Salter), barely use my oven anymore, do nearly everything in it, all the usuals, but also do chicken breasts with seasoning, meat joints etc.
Everyone I know who owns one swears by them yet when ive tried the food its just dry whatever they were making.

If you like the taste, texture & feel of fried food, this is not for you.

Maybe If you want to get healthier but sacrifice the taste then go for it
Had one for over a year, wouldn't be without one now.
Excellent results cooking beef joints, whole chickens, jkt spuds, chips, sf chicken etc.
Having the same discussion with my OH on whether to get one or not. Perfect thread
Great piece of kit, tasty food without the greasiness of deep fried good and low maintenance no greasy fat to try and get rid of
Just to add, I use parchment paper discs in the bottom of mine helps keep clean and protect the basket.
We've had air fryers for years. Got one at home and in the caravan. Cook loads of different foods and get good results. Like when you buy a new oven , you have to get used to it's trates to get the tinings right. Temperature wise tend to use at or near maximum. Spray chicken ,steaks , etc. with a little oil and drop in the fryer. Turn two or three times durring cooking and will come out nice and juicey. An example , a steak that I normally cook 4 mins a side in a pan takes 10 mins if fryer pre heated or 12 if not. For good roast potatoes , put in a microwaveable container with lid and microwave for 3 mins , give them a shake every minute. Sprinkle with half a stock cube (oxo) lid on and shake, spray with a little oil , shake again and put in fryer . Take about 12 mins shaking occasionally. Good for your breakfast fryup, put sausages and mushrooms in first and cook for 4 or 5 mins before adding bacon and cooking for another 5 mins or so, no need for any oil.
For best results you need plenty of air around food so buy a big one and don't over fill.
Edited by: "yorkie12" 4th Jul
Can't the point of these, take 4 minutes to cook a steak and ever second counts. Anything I the fryer us hot or miss because you can't see all the time. If you can cook well, it's of little use, but for a student then that's different. It takes longer, all the food look anaemic and it's easy to overcook food so how's it better than oven or frying pan?
all the negative reviews are usually from people who are unable to read manuals or use that thing inside their skull
mtsk04/07/2020 09:44

all the negative reviews are usually from people who are unable to read …all the negative reviews are usually from people who are unable to read manuals or use that thing inside their skull

That why the best restaurants don't cook food in ovens and pans but airfry them. Not
coolbob04/07/2020 10:24

That why the best restaurants don't cook food in ovens and pans but airfry …That why the best restaurants don't cook food in ovens and pans but airfry them. Not

or you could just learn to cook if you want restaurant quality meal... its not that hard
mine just feels like a oven but cooks quicker lol
Man I love my air fryer as a student no pre heating, quick and simple!
mtsk04/07/2020 09:44

all the negative reviews are usually from people who are unable to read …all the negative reviews are usually from people who are unable to read manuals or use that thing inside their skull

Ruthless
mtsk04/07/2020 10:41

or you could just learn to cook if you want restaurant quality meal... its …or you could just learn to cook if you want restaurant quality meal... its not that hard

No its not hard.
Edited by: "coolbob" 4th Jul
Just be aware, there is an awful plastic burning smell for a while. Had mine now for a year and its still there.
I have the Philips one and had it for approx three years now. I use it to cook frozen fries and they are so much nicer than oven fries. I would definitely recommend.
We use ours quite a lot, and our halogen oven - love them both. Putting frozen oven chips in the air fryer gives decent results (not the 'naked' ones with no fat on, they are horrible) but make your own for fantastic results. They are also much safer - no hot oil to cause serious burns or hose fires. Also great for hash browns etc. Steaks are good too - but not very good for ice cream!
I bought a QVC cookworks one a few years ago and ended up sending it back as it was rubbish. Roll on a few years and I now have a Tower one and wouldn’t be without it. It’s great for people like me on the Slimming World food optimising diet. I use it most days now and as someone said previously it’s not just good for frozen food products. I use it for lots of different food, it’s great if you are cooking sausages and and breaded food making it lovely and crispy.

If your contemplating on buying one do it you wont be disappointed.
Great for froxen food or reheating any food containing fats or sausage rolls etc.

No good for raw food such as vegitables, home made chips etc.

Cheaper to run then an oven
No they are not worth looking into as they will burn your face
I have a 4.3l air fryer and have used it a handful of times. There's a lot of limitations especially the size, evenness of the cooking, can often be drying. But I think it's good for fries and some types of chicken - wings are good, chicken katsu not so good.
I’ve never used mine for frozen food , but it’s great for cooking chicken , and really comes into its own at this time of year when I can use it for the potatoes I grow . Makes lovely potato wedges , but as with all cooking the fresher the ingredients the better the result. Only downside I’ve found personally is that I use a lot of spice, herbs etc and it can be a bit of a chore to clean , but I don’t deep fry anything and would assume that’s a messy washing up job too.
markvirgo04/07/2020 18:52

Great for froxen food or reheating any food containing fats or sausage …Great for froxen food or reheating any food containing fats or sausage rolls etc. No good for raw food such as vegitables, home made chips etc.Cheaper to run then an oven

Have to disagree with you on the homemade chips statement. They can be much better than shop bought ones. Parboiled, cut into thick chips, dipped in vegetable oil with dried paprika in it, then fried. Luvverly.....
Question is why don't you like deep fat frying.

It's healthier if you batter stuff. Then take batter back off after frying.
A bit like nutters who eat the batter on fish and chip shop fish. Yak or bacon fat etc.

In my experience air fried stuff tastes the same as in oven = usually dry.
We have a cheap Vonhaus 3.5 litre that we picked up from here.It's changed the way we cook forever, we rarely use use the oven as "Cooked from Frozen" is halved, Everything is no longer dripping in fat. There's loads of "how to cook in an air fryer" kindle books that rotate as free every couple of months as well. Anything that needs to be fried now just goes into the air fryer.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants