Air pollution- measures to stop breathing fumes

Found 7th Apr
Inevitably I need to walk daily along a main road, very conscious of all the car fumes.

I don't like the idea of wearing those surgical masks (!) anything else I can do to prevent being exposed to all the car exhaust fumes, same for protecting children- side roads not an option sadly.

Thanks
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
18 Comments
Ensure you breath through your nose, don't trim your nose hair.
Those surgical masks are nonsense. They are splatter masks and not filter. Everytime i see a Chinese person wearing it on the street I can't stop laughing.
The only option for you is to change your walking route
Forgot to mention . Being in the care is more hazardous to your health from pollution point of view.
Do do you walk a lot then SCuboid?

Health benefits of cycling and walking actually outweigh the harmful effects of air pollution.

A University of Cambridge study showed that even in cities with high pollution levels, the benefits outweigh the risks.
Edited by: "LemonHead" 7th Apr
Walking also cuts the odds of developing heart disease but the benefit is mostly for people walking more than six miles per week.

Recent studies also say cycling to work can also cuts the risk of cancer as well.

Regular cycling cuts the risk of death from any cause by 41%, the incidence of cancer by 45% and heart disease by 46%. And the further you cycle the greater the health boon.
Hold your breath......
OllieSt17 m ago

Why do Japanese people wear surgical masks? It’s not always for health r …Why do Japanese people wear surgical masks? It’s not always for health reasons

I suppose you don't work in healthcare settings . If you did you would know how useless those masks are in preventing from being infected or anything else for that matter.
Those masks are to stop you from coughing on other people. The fact that company claims they made a hayfever mask is just utter nonsense
How about something like These
ding52 m ago

How about something like These

Yeah, but would you want to wear one just for walking?

Finding alternative routes away from high density commuter traffic and major public transport routes might be more effective, avoiding congested roads, finding routes that offer some shielding from air pollution - e.g. trees.
Original Poster
I've heard cars are worse than walking, how about putting one of those toxin reducing plants in the car, like Aloe Vera or something!!!!
SCuboid1 h, 8 m ago

I've heard cars are worse than walking, how about putting one of those …I've heard cars are worse than walking, how about putting one of those toxin reducing plants in the car, like Aloe Vera or something!!!!

Taking a side street route when walking through a city cuts a person’s air pollution exposure by half according to a study at King’s College London.

The average reduction in overall pollution exposure for those taking the side street routes was 53%, with the cuts ranging from 30-60%.

The following allows you to put in any route and be shown a low-pollution walking option.

crossriverpartnership.org/pro…es/
SCuboid4 h, 34 m ago

I've heard cars are worse than walking, how about putting one of those …I've heard cars are worse than walking, how about putting one of those toxin reducing plants in the car, like Aloe Vera or something!!!!

This is little contentious though I suppose it depends on how you look at it.

According to Richard B. Mckenzie, professor of Economics at the Paul Merage School of Business, he says walking might be worse for the environment than driving.

Because of the way food supply chains work, walking a mile - and consequently expending calories that need to be replaced - might actually be more wasteful and polluting than driving.

Though exposure to toxic air is often far higher inside than outside vehicles [apparently].

businessinsider.com/wal…-11

theguardian.com/env…rns

What are toxins by the way?

Toxic substances added to the environment by people are called toxicants, not toxins. It's a common mistake people always make.
OllieSt9 h, 16 m ago

Why do Japanese people wear surgical masks? It’s not always for health r …Why do Japanese people wear surgical masks? It’s not always for health reasons

OllieSt9 h, 16 m ago

I discovered in Japan that people wear them when they have a cold as a courtesy thing.
Jacquesson59 m ago

I discovered in Japan that people wear them when they have a cold as a …I discovered in Japan that people wear them when they have a cold as a courtesy thing.

Though wearing masks for that reason would be rendered useless anyway as many viruses are also passed on by touch, especially from hands that are contaminated with the cold virus.
Jacquesson20 m ago

Like I said it is a courtesy thing.

LemonHead7th Apr

Regular cycling cuts the risk of death from any cause by 41%,

surely it doesn't cut the chance of death by any cycling related injury
Good one maddog, that me giggle. I did think of that after posting actually though not to be taken too literally I suppose. Then again there is the other 59% to consider of course.

Though I suppose when you think of it the risks probably still outweigh the benefits.
Edited by: "LemonHead" 8th Apr
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants