Expired

Airbag light

Found 25th Jun 2012
Car is a Chevy Kalos. Problem is a dodgy sensor that sets off the airbag light.

Now, I know that misc'ers are knowledgeable peeps in certain areas. So, my questions are as follows, will this fail an MOT and how much will it cost to fix? I suspect the entire loom will need replacing because when you move the seat slightly, it sets it off, turn the light off and all is well until the seat is moved again, then it comes up again.

Car may also be known as a Daewoo Kalos.

Thank you muchly.
Community Updates
Misc
19 Comments
at the moment it wont fail the mot, the SRS light was supposed to be introduced as a failure item, but its been put on hold for a while.

as the seat gets moved back & forth, the wiring loom flexis, so it could be something simple as a broken wire that goes into the multi-plug.
richp

at the moment it wont fail the mot, the SRS light was supposed to be … at the moment it wont fail the mot, the SRS light was supposed to be introduced as a failure item, but its been put on hold for a while.as the seat gets moved back & forth, the wiring loom flexis, so it could be something simple as a broken wire that goes into the multi-plug.

Ooo, so get the MOT done like yesterday in case that gets reversed tomorrow and the fix may not actually be as much as previously thought?

Interesting... I'll pass that info on, thanks, I had a feeling you'd be the guy to know for certain
Edited by: "moose109" 25th Jun 2012
how old is the car? Airbag have a dry powder in them which helps the bad to deploy efficiently. over time moisure can infiltrate the bag and cause the powder to turn to a paste (used in the lightest sense possibly). You should technically have your airbag checked every 10 years or so, whether it has ever been done is another issue.

p.s dont know if its a MPT failure or not, sorry
Edited by: "Rupz" 25th Jun 2012
It is an MOT failure if the airbag light is on
t0mm

It is an MOT failure if the airbag light is on

No offence but isnt richp a MOT tester? I'd rather take his advice.
Can you reach under the seat and wiggle wires one by one until you find the one that sets the light off again? You can then replace the faulty section of wiring.
My abs light has been on for the last 3years never failed it on that
OldEnglish

you should count yourself lucky then as someone hasn't been doing the test properly !

Anti-Lock Braking, dont take any notice of the Electronic Stability Control Systems, that's one of the items that's due to come in, hopefully this summer.
Edited by: "richp" 25th Jun 2012
Have you checked the connector for the pre tensioner that's under the seat. Cable tie the connector if need be.
harlzter

No offence but isnt richp a MOT tester? I'd rather take his advice.

I didn't read what he said I apologise. But that's where I got my info from too - - didn't know it was on hold though.
Have you checked the connector for the pre tensioner that's under the seat. Cable tie the connector if need be.
My SRS light was on all the time on my old car because of a seatbelt pre-tensioner sensor fault or something
took it to the MOT station and told the guy to sort it out because I was fed up of seeing the red light.
When I picked it up the light was off - yey

I asked him what he did - He said he took the bulb out! oO
OldEnglish

the fail is when you brake and go skidding into a bus stop full of kids
DAMNOME

My SRS light was on all the time on my old car because of a seatbelt … My SRS light was on all the time on my old car because of a seatbelt pre-tensioner sensor fault or something took it to the MOT station and told the guy to sort it out because I was fed up of seeing the red light.When I picked it up the light was off - yey :)I asked him what he did - He said he took the bulb out! oO

Thats the problem, whats the point in failing a cars MOT for certain warning lights being on when its just a case of removing the bulbs? It just hides the problem rather than fixes it
harlzter

Thats the problem, whats the point in failing a cars MOT for certain … Thats the problem, whats the point in failing a cars MOT for certain warning lights being on when its just a case of removing the bulbs? It just hides the problem rather than fixes it

I think this might have changed but originally I thought with the warning light checks that the light would have to come on as normal when the engine was started and then go out, if it never came on when it was meant to at startup that would be a fail.

John
I think the most important factor about this light mot will it wont it argument is that in the event of an accident, the airbags will not deploy.

Get it sorted, could just be a new wire or having it re laid under the seat, could be something simple.
My 05 Kalos failed mot for that air bag light not going off
My car failed MOT on this & a couple of other minor faults. We had 10 days for free retest so fixed the other minors & removed fuse for SRS so that light was out, before taking it back to garage. Passed with flying colours so put fuse back in!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants