Groups

Aircon question

Hello everyone, was wondering if I buy a portable air-conditioner and leave this on the landing at the top of the stairs then leave all the windows closed and curtains drawn all day do you think it would keep the whole of the upstairs cool during the summer? Was thinking i should turn it on first thing in the morning before the day heats up. Was looking around the 12000 BTU mark. Thanks in advance

17 Comments

Banned

my friend had one, in greece though, and boy when it was on the house was flippin freezin, without it it was like a sauna, it wasnt left on all the time but cooled the house almost straight away

ooops hers wasnt portable, sorry

cost a fair amount in electricty though!

Original Poster

sassie;5330816

my friend had one, in greece though, and boy when it was on the house was … my friend had one, in greece though, and boy when it was on the house was flippin freezin, without it it was like a sauna, it wasnt left on all the time but cooled the house almost straight awayooops hers wasnt portable, sorry

sounds ideal! I suspect hers was a proper jobby that was fixed to the wall. just want to make sure it will cool the house before i waste the money!

what summer? :giggle:

Do they not have thermostats on them or anything to keep it at certain temperature?

Banned

SunTzu;5330868

sounds ideal! I suspect hers was a proper jobby that was fixed to the … sounds ideal! I suspect hers was a proper jobby that was fixed to the wall. just want to make sure it will cool the house before i waste the money!

yes it was? sorry i misread your post

for our country i think a fan would suffice - lol

The effectiveness of an airconditioner is a function of its power (measured in BTU, British Thermal Units) and the size of the area you are intending to cool. A 9,000 BTU air conditioner will cool an average sized room. It won't cool the entire upper floor of an average sized house.

You will need to run a thick hose pipe out of the the window (which of course will let in warm air around the window gap) in order to provide heat-exchange. And you'll probably have a water reservoir you'll have to keep topped up in order to stop the thing from drying the air too much.

They are expensive to run, and the less expensive they are, the noisier they are.

Wonderful though portable air conditioning is, it's not a silver bullet, If you can hire one for a week or so to try it out before you stump up for one, that would be my advised way to go.

Original Poster

Afterburner;5330912

The effectiveness of an airconditioner is a function of its power … The effectiveness of an airconditioner is a function of its power (measured in BTU, British Thermal Units) and the size of the area you are intending to cool. A 9,000 BTU air conditioner will cool an average sized room. It won't cool the entire upper floor of an average sized house.You will need to run a thick hose pipe out of the the window (which of course will let in warm air around the window gap) in order to provide heat-exchange. And you'll probably have a water reservoir you'll have to keep topped up in order to stop the thing from drying the air too much. They are expensive to run, and the less expensive they are, the noisier they are. Wonderful though portable air conditioning is, it's not a silver bullet, If you can hire one for a week or so to try it out before you stump up for one, that would be my advised way to go.

Was thinking of this one: ]http//ww…OMO

Do you think this would keep cool the upstairs of a small house?

We have one a bit like that, it does cool down the upstairs (well more than if there was nothing!) but not as much as we would have liked.

A Friend gave us a tip which was to put Ice cubes in the water reservoir and run it for about an hour before bed and was much cooler upstairs. They are quite noisy though.

I think that unless its a proper fitted one, you can't expect too much from them!

SunTzu;5331045

Was thinking of this one: … Was thinking of this one: ]http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=20001&partNumber=641638&Trail=searchtext>AIR+CON+PROMODo you think this would keep cool the upstairs of a small house?

In my opinion, almost certainly not. It will make it cooler but I don't think it will make all that much difference. I assume you want to cool the bedrooms off the landing. I'll be astonished if that's possible with a small unit like that, but I'm prepared to be proven wrong.

Why not ring a hire company and tell them that you're looking to hire a portable unit and ask them what you need to achieve what you want. At least you'll know what you need.

KazzyD;5331137

We have one a bit like that, it does cool down the upstairs (well more … We have one a bit like that, it does cool down the upstairs (well more than if there was nothing!) but not as much as we would have liked.A Friend gave us a tip which was to put Ice cubes in the water reservoir and run it for about an hour before bed and was much cooler upstairs. They are quite noisy though.I think that unless its a proper fitted one, you can't expect too much from them!

I think you're describing a cooler not an airconditioner. I bought one of those in error a few years back and was lucky to get half my money back when I sold it on eBay. They don't have a heat exchanger and are not airconditioners. What they do do is raise the humidity in the room quite alarmingly because you are basically passing warm air over a wet membrane, that produces a tiny amout of cooling but a huge amount of moisture-laden air. Waste of money in my opinion.

garbage456;5331213

tried that last year and they wanted £200 deposit and £59 a day, was c … tried that last year and they wanted £200 deposit and £59 a day, was cheaper to buy one.

Wow, that is expensive! But I wasn't suggesting that SunTsu actually hires one. I was suggesting that he calls them and tells them what he wants to do, and let them tell him what he needs. That way he'll know whether 12000 BTU will cool the cubic area that he's targeting.

Original Poster

Excellent help chaps and chapesses, will look into it more, thanks to all. rep left

How will you vent the hot air? Most of the cheaper portable AC units seem to have a hose which has to be stuck through a window - which isn't so useful if you want to leave it on cooling the house while you are out for an hour or so. The hose isn't usually very long either.

Spod;5331561

How will you vent the hot air? Most of the cheaper portable AC units … How will you vent the hot air? Most of the cheaper portable AC units seem to have a hose which has to be stuck through a window - which isn't so useful if you want to leave it on cooling the house while you are out for an hour or so. The hose isn't usually very long either.

Most cheaper portable AC units? ALL portable AC units! They have to vent somewhere outside the building; there's no alternative. And no, the hose isn't very long but you can go into any vacuum cleaner dealer or even Homebase and buy extension hose that can be connected.

Afterburner;5332117

ALL portable AC units!

That depends on whether or not you include Bioclimatic Air Conditioners and Evaporative Coolers which don't need vents - but they aren't as efficient:
    householdinnovations.co.uk/air…tml

Spod;5332268

That depends on whether or not you include Bioclimatic Air Conditioners … That depends on whether or not you include Bioclimatic Air Conditioners and Evaporative Coolers which don't need vents - but they aren't as efficient:http://www.householdinnovations.co.uk/airconditioners.html

That's not an airconditioner. It's an air cooler and just blows warm air across a fabric membrane to produce the effect of cooling. I think that you can't even measure their output in BTU because they're so weak. And the downside is that they make the air much more humid.

At least that is what I understand to be the case. If they are anywhere near as effective as real airconditioners then I'd be very interested to know about it.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …281977
      2. Surprise the Miles136 summer burning caribou comp12
      3. What is there free to do in your town?37
      4. Labour MP Naz Shah retweeted calling for abused white girls to shut their m…1635

See more discussions