Airport Security?

Found 16th Jul
Quick question; so I haven't flown for a long time and was just wondering how mobile boarding passes work. So for context, I'll be flying with British Airways and planning on using the app to check in. Can I still print out a physical paper boarding pass, or will it just be added to my iPhone's wallet? If it's the latter, I understand that I need my boarding pass at security, but shouldn't my phone be in my carry on?

Sorry for how dumb this must sound, but I hope that someone can answer these
Community Updates
AskHolidays & Leisure
17 Comments
you do not need it at the security check, just at the entrance to get through the turnstile to go airside (like on the tube ) and get in the queues for the security check , then once you get through duty free etc and get to the gate you will need to show it again for boarding
Edited by: "Infractionboi" 16th Jul
Electronic devices need to be put through security outside of carry on luggage anyway.
OK thank you guys
heavily cracked/scratched screen is not a good idea. Other than that it works fine. And of course, you dont mind giving them access to all the contact etc info on your phone do you
ccnp3 m ago

heavily cracked/scratched screen is not a good idea. Other than that it …heavily cracked/scratched screen is not a good idea. Other than that it works fine. And of course, you dont mind giving them access to all the contact etc info on your phone do you

What do you mean by the access?
Ignore ccnp - you use the bar code on the device boarding pass to get through to customs. Then show it when you get to the boarding gate. Some people still print off the boarding pass but I haven't done it the last three times I've traveled and not had a problem.
IamMT1 h, 57 m ago

Electronic devices need to be put through security outside of carry on …Electronic devices need to be put through security outside of carry on luggage anyway.

Only large electronic devices need to be placed separately on a tray (e.g., laptops and tablets). Smartphones can remain inside the hand baggage or coat. This applies to Heathrow and several other european airports. Different rules may apply when travelling through non-EU airports (e.g., Beijing).
Edited by: "melomanias" 16th Jul
melomanias2 m ago

Only large electronic devices need to be placed separately on a tray …Only large electronic devices need to be placed separately on a tray (e.g., laptops and tablets). Smartphones can remain inside the hand baggage or coat. This applies to Heathrow and other european airports. Different rules may apply when travelling through non-EU airports (e.g., Beijing).

That's not my experience, I've probably done about 30 EU flights in the last two years albeit not via Heathrow but several other capitals.
In all the flights I’ve done over the last few years (including three London Airports and several airports in various european cities) and a couple outside of Europe I’ve only been asked to remove my smartphone(s) from my hold luggage in Beijing.

But that’s why I edited my comment to “several other” (seconds after posting and before I saw your reply) as I don’t claim to know the rules for every single airport.
IamMT1 h, 8 m ago

That's not my experience, I've probably done about 30 EU flights in the …That's not my experience, I've probably done about 30 EU flights in the last two years albeit not via Heathrow but several other capitals.

I went through gatwick, Lisbon, Bristol, Majorca , exeter and Southampton in the last couple of years (Lisbon/gatwick in the last 4 weeks) all allowed phones to be in your bag. Tablets, laptops and powerbanks have to be separated from the bag.
cmdr_elito6 m ago

I went through gatwick, Lisbon, Bristol, Majorca , exeter and Southampton …I went through gatwick, Lisbon, Bristol, Majorca , exeter and Southampton in the last couple of years (Lisbon/gatwick in the last 4 weeks) all allowed phones to be in your bag. Tablets, laptops and powerbanks have to be separated from the bag.

It obviously varies:

"We'll ask you to remove ALL electrical items (including mobile phones) from your hand luggage, along with any cables and wires that accompany them. This allows us to scan your luggage quickly, and reduces the possibility that you or your luggage will need to be re-scanned."

newcastleairport.com/sec…ice
IamMT9 m ago

It obviously varies:"We'll ask you to remove ALL electrical items …It obviously varies:"We'll ask you to remove ALL electrical items (including mobile phones) from your hand luggage, along with any cables and wires that accompany them. This allows us to scan your luggage quickly, and reduces the possibility that you or your luggage will need to be re-scanned."https://www.newcastleairport.com/security-advice

It will vary at small tiny airports like Newcastle.
cmdr_elito4 m ago

It will vary at small tiny airports like Newcastle.

Says the bloke who flies from Exeter & Southampton!
IamMT2 h, 22 m ago

Says the bloke who flies from Exeter & Southampton!

Yes and bigger airports too Gatwick/Lisbon. As stated those smaller airports that I flew from are operating in line with the other larger airports I have flown from. Some small airports like Newcastle are doing it differently for whatever reason (you stated they were doing it differently).
I always take a physical printed one too just in case I lose my phone or it starts playing up
chocci6 h, 25 m ago

I always take a physical printed one too just in case I lose my phone or …I always take a physical printed one too just in case I lose my phone or it starts playing up

How would I do that? I was looking to do that too, but not sure if I can do it from the app.
Thinking about it, couldn't I just check in from my phone, but then go online on my PC and put in my booking number in to print off a physical pass?
AzNDeals2 h, 56 m ago

How would I do that? I was looking to do that too, but not sure if I can …How would I do that? I was looking to do that too, but not sure if I can do it from the app. Thinking about it, couldn't I just check in from my phone, but then go online on my PC and put in my booking number in to print off a physical pass?

yes, just print from your pc
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants