Aldi Axle Stands

Posted 16th Sep
Decided I want to start doing a few more things on the car, oil change, brakes etc so starting to buy the necessary tools.

Already picked up some ramps but obviously they are quite restrictive of what you can do.

Does anybody have the above? Found a some for sale for a tenner new in box with wheel chocks but obviously last thing I want is a 2ton monde crashing down.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

12 Comments
As long as they state a weight capacity ie 2 ton you will be fine.
Shops would not risk a lawsuit for a tenner.
Plus a weight limits are under stated.
Would probably hold 4 ton without any issues
bigwheels16/09/2019 18:47

As long as they state a weight capacity ie 2 ton you will be fine.Shops …As long as they state a weight capacity ie 2 ton you will be fine.Shops would not risk a lawsuit for a tenner.Plus a weight limits are under stated.Would probably hold 4 ton without any issues

Yeah they are 2 ton stands, the mondeo is 1.8t so should be ok splitting the load between the two.
You will only be lifting the front or back so 2 ton will be good.
bigwheels16/09/2019 18:53

You will only be lifting the front or back so 2 ton will be good.

Excellent thank you, when I saw how much they charge for certain services like oil change, brakes etc and how much I could it do for myself (plus the manly satisfaction of working in my car) was a nobrainer really.

Got my wife's car as well so all adds up.
Sc4mp016/09/2019 19:18

Excellent thank you, when I saw how much they charge for certain services …Excellent thank you, when I saw how much they charge for certain services like oil change, brakes etc and how much I could it do for myself (plus the manly satisfaction of working in my car) was a nobrainer really.Got my wife's car as well so all adds up.

Hubby says don't forget to grease any nipples - most important it seems.
joyf453616/09/2019 19:25

Hubby says don't forget to grease any nipples - most important it seems.

Thank you, always important that
bigwheels16/09/2019 18:47

As long as they state a weight capacity ie 2 ton you will be fine.Shops …As long as they state a weight capacity ie 2 ton you will be fine.Shops would not risk a lawsuit for a tenner.Plus a weight limits are under stated.Would probably hold 4 ton without any issues

I wouldn't be too sure about that. I bought an apparent 2 ton jack from Amazon and it buckled under first use, A Ford Smax. Thankfully I used axel stands!
.MUFC.17/09/2019 10:11

I wouldn't be too sure about that. I bought an apparent 2 ton jack from …I wouldn't be too sure about that. I bought an apparent 2 ton jack from Amazon and it buckled under first use, A Ford Smax. Thankfully I used axel stands!

Thats unlucky.
I was like you, Better safe than sorry.
Axle stands, jack and the tyre all under the car just in case.
Jacks are not to be trusted on their own.
.MUFC.17/09/2019 10:11

I wouldn't be too sure about that. I bought an apparent 2 ton jack from …I wouldn't be too sure about that. I bought an apparent 2 ton jack from Amazon and it buckled under first use, A Ford Smax. Thankfully I used axel stands!

What brand was that jack?

I use home made axle stands and ramps, they was made by an old guy years ago who worked at an engineering firm to use with his >4ton camper. I put a cheeky request of freecycle for ramps and he had been waiting for someone to ask for some who would use them rather than just offer them out. On a 870kg car I think they are going to be fine. The jack I bought I went overkill on as well as its a 4 ton one, glad I did though as I used it to support the front corner to drive the car from a live (fast/overtaking) lane in a dual carriageway to the lay-by after I managed to hit a kerb stone that a lorry had clipped and sent into the road and wrecked my suspension strut.
harlzter17/09/2019 11:15

What brand was that jack?I use home made axle stands and ramps, they was …What brand was that jack?I use home made axle stands and ramps, they was made by an old guy years ago who worked at an engineering firm to use with his >4ton camper. I put a cheeky request of freecycle for ramps and he had been waiting for someone to ask for some who would use them rather than just offer them out. On a 870kg car I think they are going to be fine. The jack I bought I went overkill on as well as its a 4 ton one, glad I did though as I used it to support the front corner to drive the car from a live (fast/overtaking) lane in a dual carriageway to the lay-by after I managed to hit a kerb stone that a lorry had clipped and sent into the road and wrecked my suspension strut.

amazon.co.uk/gp/…tle

It was about £17. So extremely cheap but still expected it to lift my car without buckling!
harlzter17/09/2019 11:15

What brand was that jack?I use home made axle stands and ramps, they was …What brand was that jack?I use home made axle stands and ramps, they was made by an old guy years ago who worked at an engineering firm to use with his >4ton camper. I put a cheeky request of freecycle for ramps and he had been waiting for someone to ask for some who would use them rather than just offer them out. On a 870kg car I think they are going to be fine. The jack I bought I went overkill on as well as its a 4 ton one, glad I did though as I used it to support the front corner to drive the car from a live (fast/overtaking) lane in a dual carriageway to the lay-by after I managed to hit a kerb stone that a lorry had clipped and sent into the road and wrecked my suspension strut.

I'm reading that last sentence and I have the image of a car going down the motorway with a jack as a wheel,.
Sc4mp017/09/2019 12:16

I'm reading that last sentence and I have the image of a car going down …I'm reading that last sentence and I have the image of a car going down the motorway with a jack as a wheel,.

Pretty much was for about 100 yards, with dual way instead of motorway, it was just as you left a roundabout onto a dual carriageway and around a bend so if I had left the car there it would have lead to an accident. A case of improvisation. Jacked that front corner up and drove it steasdily on the jack. The jack survived with only minor marks on the metal wheels. The car wheel on that corner was just hanging loose.
Edited by: "harlzter" 17th Sep
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants