aldi charity offer

Found 2nd Dec 2017
hope this helps to people supporting good causes2846450-VZr6F.jpg
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
All this may be true but the long and short of it is that there are people who need this food. It should be compulsory for supermarkets to offer all expiring food to others who need it.
Unbelievable that anyone can turn this into a negative. Shameful in fact! It may well be that other retailers are doing the same but there is no harm in publicising the fact. Well done to Aldi for supporting those local causes that will benefit from this.(highfive)
20 Comments
Original Poster
i dont know if i have posted to right place, maybe should be in freebies?
Brilliant find Op. Hope some good use is made of it. Credit to Aldi.
The German budget retailer says it will hand out leftover food to good causes on the afternoon of Christmas Eve.
Food can then be collected from Aldi stores when the supermarket shuts its doors on Christmas Eve.

Aldi posted a notice online which said: “As our stores will shut at 4pm on Christmas Eve until the 27th of December, we will have a variety of good quality surplus food products that we wish to redistribute in support of less fortunate individuals and to prevent food going to waste.

“We are unfortunately unable to deliver products on a locally, so it would be essential that your organisation is able to collect. We will expect the levels of food available to vary, however estimations of around 20-30 crates will be expected from each store. If you wish to collect all products available, we would therefore recommend providing a large car or van, or being prepared to make multiple journeys.

“However you are more than welcome to take as much of the products offered as you can use - you are not required to take all products. We would also ask to ensure that you bring appropriate collection containers (bags, crates, boxes, etc.) as we will only have a limited number of cardboard boxes potentially available for use"

The company says it will dish out fresh fruit and vegetables, meat, fish, bread and bakery products available as well as chilled products including dairy, desserts and ready meals.

All products will have at least one day remaining.
birminghammail.co.uk/new…791

2846634-eqTk3.jpg
Banned
This is the left over food they have to pay to get rid off in extra waste collections?
This is great, i always wonder why supermarkets / food outlets don't do this as a matter of course all year around
lifouk5 m ago

This is great, i always wonder why supermarkets / food outlets don't do …This is great, i always wonder why supermarkets / food outlets don't do this as a matter of course all year around

They do.

Tesco for example last year signed a deal to do just that and pledged that 100% waste will go to charities by the end of this year. How far they are along to meeting that, I don't know, but still.

Of course rewind a few years ago and everyone just binned everything. Fresh perishables especially, much more common place now to see the canned and bottled stuff donated.

So don't panic, it is just a PR gimmick from Aldi.
All this may be true but the long and short of it is that there are people who need this food. It should be compulsory for supermarkets to offer all expiring food to others who need it.
I understand that M&S inject their meat with a blue dye to render it inedible for the skip surfers.
purplefleece5 m ago

All this may be true but the long and short of it is that there are people …All this may be true but the long and short of it is that there are people who need this food. It should be compulsory for supermarkets to offer all expiring food to others who need it.

Couldn’t have put it better myself.
Unbelievable that anyone can turn this into a negative. Shameful in fact! It may well be that other retailers are doing the same but there is no harm in publicising the fact. Well done to Aldi for supporting those local causes that will benefit from this.(highfive)
deleted1643395
Cold for Comic Sans.
Don't buy anything from Aldi then. More for those in need.
arch689 m ago

I understand that M&S inject their meat with a blue dye to render it …I understand that M&S inject their meat with a blue dye to render it inedible for the skip surfers.

Really...?

Graham197921 m ago

This is the left over food they have to pay to get rid off in extra waste …This is the left over food they have to pay to get rid off in extra waste collections?

Wow. Way to turn a positive into a negative.

This is a GOOD initiative, well done ALDI.
Graham197922 m ago

This is the left over food they have to pay to get rid off in extra waste …This is the left over food they have to pay to get rid off in extra waste collections?

What is wrong with Aldi doing this??!
nlman4 m ago

What is wrong with Aldi doing this??!

Absolutely nothing, and it looks to me like a troll.
Shameless self-promotion by Aldi. Pret does this every day and it's not posted on here. Would urge the mods to review OP.
This is not about waste control costs , its about giving food to those so less fortunate than those able to give negative comment on this post . Well done to all company's who donate to this cause.
Well done Aldi and any other store that donates surplus food to charities I work in the Transport sector of food distribution any see the most appalling waste with food and especially health foods that still have a 3 month shelf life but that is to short a time to distribute through retailers and other outlets and to have a reasonable time for the public to buy and consume I have quite often taken 26 full pallet loads to recycling centres the products crushed to remove food that’s then often fed to pigs and the metal and plastic recycled terrible waste !!!
I wish this would happen every day at every store. It's disgusting how much food is thrown in the waste in food stores. The majority of stores don't donate any of it, just chuck it in a bin and don't care. Every store that doesn't do it should be ashamed. There a some people starving in every part of this country and businesses don't care enough to do anything to help by just donating what they see as waste. I can believe it's allowed to go on. It's a good thing that Lidl are doing this, wish they would do it a lot more often though
ps a few months ago my mother was buying some daffodils in Asda and the cashier refused to let her have them because they were "out of date"!! My mum said well just let me have them then and she said she couldn't do that either. Just absolutely ludicrous
Thats a very nice festive gesture from Aldi and I hope other stores do the same
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants