Aldi launches traffic light system for store access

Deal editor15
Posted 26th May
In an unprecedented move, Aldi has introduced a traffic light system at the entrance to its stores. After a well-received and successful trial period, the chain will carry out a nationwide roll out of the technology which should be working in all Aldi stores by mid-summer.

Traffic lights situated above the entrance will indicate when customers can enter the store, based on how many customers are already in the store. The limit total will be different for each store, but is worked out using safe two metre distancing measures.

If the light is red, you will have to wait until someone else leaves the store and the light goes green to enter.

Of course, NHS and blue light worker privileges will be kept at the forefront, with customers being asked to respect the guidelines already in place when it comes to letting key workers and the vulnerable go ahead in the queue.

The traffic light system is an addition to the measures already in place at Aldi stores, such as protective screens at checkouts, distancing markers on shop floors and sanitisation stations for customers.

3471701.jpg

Communications director at Aldi, Richard Thornton, said: “The protection and safety of our customers and employees is our top priority and this new system is an accurate and effective way to allow us to control customer numbers in stores.

“The system’s trial was well received by our customers and we will be gradually rolling this new social distancing measure out nationwide from this week.”

Here's hoping it will work well and that other larger retailers will follow suit.

Read more
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Another thing for people to ignore.
splatsplatsplat26/05/2020 12:06

In all honesty, its the staff standing together - sometimes 3+ at a time - with a pallet blocking aisles thats more of an issue
15 Comments
phew glad it got icons cause as its the same colour (Im Colourblind ).

In all honesty, its the staff standing together - sometimes 3+ at a time - with a pallet blocking aisles thats more of an issue
Been to Reading store this morning, walked straight in, no traffic lights & no staff on the door. Have to agree about the pallets in the aisles.
"The chain has carried out a nationwide roll out of the technology and should be working in all Aldi stores by mid-summer."
Edited by: "fearona" 26th May

Not sure what other Aldi stores are like, but ours has an in entrance & out entrance automatic doors, so i should imagine if it's red the door won't open.

It's necessary for shops/businesses etc to be seen to he doing the right thing (for H&S purposes). People adhering to such measures is another matter entirely. I guess they've done it to save employing someone at the door, which most branches are currently doing.

Cant ignore it. If the light is red, the door does not open at all. Once it starts to close, it closes even if your in the sensor range.

I didnt realise this was a trail but its been like this at mine for over a month now so i though it was everywhere.
Asking customers to let key workers and vulnerable go ahead in the queue? Can't say I agree with that.

If they want to prioritise certain individuals access then give them a 1h early morning or late night window.
Great, I'll jump on my bike and cycle in completely ignoring the traffic lights.
My local Aldi allows only 10 people in store however they are happy to allow 50 queue outside.
SmokinAce726/05/2020 14:02

Cant ignore it. If the light is red, the door does not open at all. Once …Cant ignore it. If the light is red, the door does not open at all. Once it starts to close, it closes even if your in the sensor range.I didnt realise this was a trail but its been like this at mine for over a month now so i though it was everywhere.

There's no way they'd be allowed a door that closes even if someone is in the sensor range
they do. im refering to the sensor that opens the door when you walk towards it. that will not trigger if its red.

i think you mean if your actually within the door itself, so it would connect, im sure then if it senses a person by touch then it would stop. but that down to people trying to get in before it closes.
PenguinsForAll26/05/2020 15:04

Asking customers to let key workers and vulnerable go ahead in the queue? …Asking customers to let key workers and vulnerable go ahead in the queue? Can't say I agree with that.If they want to prioritise certain individuals access then give them a 1h early morning or late night window.

Time to stop priority access now, everyone will be going back to work over the next few weeks.
PenguinsForAll26/05/2020 15:04

Asking customers to let key workers and vulnerable go ahead in the queue? …Asking customers to let key workers and vulnerable go ahead in the queue? Can't say I agree with that.If they want to prioritise certain individuals access then give them a 1h early morning or late night window.

What if they can't go to the shop within those times? It's not as if there will be loads of people jumping the queue.
Post a comment
@
    Text