Aldi Lidl checkout queues

Found 1st Jul
Anyone else find it annoying when you only want 2 or 3 items but there are several people in front of you with full trolley's. Sometimes I just want to grab a ready made salad for my lunch but can spend 15 minutes queuing.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
I just allow light shoppers through.
I would personally let you go in front of me.
I did a week's shop in Aldi last week, and a little old lady joined the queue behind me with just a pint of milk. I asked her if that was all she had. She smiled at me politely and said it was.
I said, 'well if I were you, I'd go elsewhere because I'm going to be bloody ages.'
I'm more distressed by the number of people who can't spell the word queue despite the word being in the op

Ques - lol
57 Comments
I just allow light shoppers through.
I would personally let you go in front of me.
Our local Lidl store now has 6 self checkout tills so you can scan yourself and go
In my experience there’s often 3, 4, 5 people behind you with 2 or 3 items - what do you do, let them all go past you 👀
lespaul3 m ago

In my experience there’s often 3, 4, 5 people behind you with 2 or 3 items …In my experience there’s often 3, 4, 5 people behind you with 2 or 3 items - what do you do, let them all go past you 👀

Agree, you’ll never get all your shopping done and I let someone through with only a few items and it took them a million years to pay so got held up for ages. In less time I had packed my shopping and paid despite having a very full trolley.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 1st Jul
lespaul3 m ago

In my experience there’s often 3, 4, 5 people behind you with 2 or 3 items …In my experience there’s often 3, 4, 5 people behind you with 2 or 3 items - what do you do, let them all go past you 👀

If there's 1 I would let them,more than 1? Sorry mate
scaffolder5 m ago

Our local Lidl store now has 6 self checkout tills so you can scan …Our local Lidl store now has 6 self checkout tills so you can scan yourself and go

i think every lidl should have this
It's a supermarket first not a corner shop so I would go expecting a queue full of shoppers with trolleys
Edited by: "Snakeyes646" 2nd Jul
I generally let people with only a couple of items to go ahead of me if I have a full basket. My limit was three though or I would be there all day!
scaffolder25 m ago

Our local Lidl store now has 6 self checkout tills so you can scan …Our local Lidl store now has 6 self checkout tills so you can scan yourself and go

And they are the worst ones of any store, they take ages to register the item getting put in the bag side, always don’t weigh correctly so you need to wait for the staff if one is there, if they aren’t then they look stressed to bits trying to cope with every checkout going mental.
Don’t find Lidl to bad since the self scan tills but Aldi could definitely do with a 5 item express till
bhaskarsa20 m ago

i think every lidl should have this

Lidl is slowly converting them have seen this happen in 3 nearby branches. So you just need to wait.
sydney8712 m ago

Lidl is slowly converting them have seen this happen in 3 nearby branches. …Lidl is slowly converting them have seen this happen in 3 nearby branches. So you just need to wait.

there already is one in my area that has it

but its a newer stores that has been built

the ones that has customer toilets
bhaskarsa6 m ago

there already is one in my area that has itbut its a newer stores that has …there already is one in my area that has itbut its a newer stores that has been builtthe ones that has customer toilets

Not all new stores have customer toilets though.

My local store is often packed, even with loads of self-service tills! All of the ones around London seem to have been converted, haven't seen one of the old-style branches in ages - Aldi seriously need to catch up.
The local lidl store to me has self checkout but we have the opposite problem when going at night and they make you scan a full shop using them. Very frustrating and the system they use is awful
Nice to be allowed in front but our Aldi people work B hard and you never find queues last long. Coupled to that, they open more tills very pro actively.

Lidl (Warwick) on the other hand is a complete pain in the a*se. 1 till. Slow. Hate opening more tills. Consequently, I use it infrequently.
Snakeyes6461 h, 8 m ago

It's a supermarket first not a corner shop so I would go expecting a que …It's a supermarket first not a corner shop so I would go expecting a que full of shoppers with trolleys

I only shop with a basket, but then I also go to a supermarket every few days. Friends think I’m weird, but I don’t like my food waiting to be eaten in my fridge so I only shop a few days in advance
I think it’s worth taking things like this into account when deciding where to shop.

I’ve been into an aldi before where I can see the queues at tills and walked straight back out. For the sake of one two or three items.

However, having said that, I made a very recent discovery. If you do join a long queue it doesn’t end up taking long to get through. At my local I’ve never seen checkout people process a shop so fast in my life.

Oh and I too have noticed shoppers there asking the person behind them with one or two items if they want to go before them. How nice
jamie0151 h, 56 m ago

Not all new stores have customer toilets though.My local store is often …Not all new stores have customer toilets though.My local store is often packed, even with loads of self-service tills! All of the ones around London seem to have been converted, haven't seen one of the old-style branches in ages - Aldi seriously need to catch up.

retailanalysis.igd.com/new…537

I think its only for newly built stores, not old ones that are refurbished but i'm not 100% sure on that
Always find that even if there is half a dozen people in front of me with full shops I am still through in no time. Five minutes extra waiting in line does not bother me. Last six times I have used self scanning checkouts in Tesco I have had a service check and it takes longer to get a member of staff too come over and do that than waiting in line at Aldi or Lidl.
Lidl is always the worst when it comes to ques
I'm more distressed by the number of people who can't spell the word queue despite the word being in the op

Ques - lol
bhaskarsa7 h, 6 m ago

https://retailanalysis.igd.com/news/news-article/t/lidl-uk-setting-itself-apart-with-lidl-of-the-future-concept/i/10537I think its only for newly built stores, not old ones that are refurbished but i'm not 100% sure on that

I had a new store open in my area and it has no toilet.
I make my own lunch for work.
scaffolder10 h, 39 m ago

I tried scanning myself in Lidl, but security threw me out because of where my barcode tattoo was.
Before people would let you go in front of them if I had a 2-5 items, now people are too ignorant. They think so hard before making a decision! Why oh why

Aldi definitely need at least 1 self checkout
chocci3 h, 8 m ago

I'm more distressed by the number of people who can't spell the word queue …I'm more distressed by the number of people who can't spell the word queue despite the word being in the opQues - lol

Don't be, I'm sure ppl do it to shorten and type faster as I'm sure we all know what they mean.
jamie0154 h, 45 m ago

I had a new store open in my area and it has no toilet.

Was it newly built or just refitted/refurbished?

I have no idea why

The store in Leicester city centre has customer toilets

Its the only lidl in Leicester that has customer toilets
Edited by: "bhaskarsa" 2nd Jul
I was thinking that yesterday too

They need to have them in Aldi, I bought 2 small items, had to wait 10min, I don't really like Self Checkout since they always tell me to place the item in the bagging area but it's worth it
No one let me go in front of them but she did let someone else go Infront of them, that really p*ssed me off, I know you don't want to let tons of people with a few items but I had a drink and a snack, the person Infront had more
Edited by: "Norseg" 2nd Jul
I did a week's shop in Aldi last week, and a little old lady joined the queue behind me with just a pint of milk. I asked her if that was all she had. She smiled at me politely and said it was.
I said, 'well if I were you, I'd go elsewhere because I'm going to be bloody ages.'
Misslovely4 h, 48 m ago

Before people would let you go in front of them if I had a 2-5 items, now …Before people would let you go in front of them if I had a 2-5 items, now people are too ignorant. They think so hard before making a decision! Why oh why Aldi definitely need at least 1 self checkout

tbf they may have experienced the one i saw where the person got allowed in front then proceeded to bring a bunch of stuff out for a refund...
A long queue at Aldi takes no time; a medium queue a Sainsbury’s or Tesco takes a lifetime as you have to wait for people dithering with their purses and packing their shopping in alphabetical order. There’s an environment of pressure and hurry at Aldi and Lidl but I like that - I don’t go to the supermarket for a day out.
Edited by: "misterleoni" 2nd Jul
cmdr_elito16 h, 46 m ago

Agree, you’ll never get all your shopping done and I let someone through w …Agree, you’ll never get all your shopping done and I let someone through with only a few items and it took them a million years to pay so got held up for ages. In less time I had packed my shopping and paid despite having a very full trolley.

Sounds awful, hope you recovered and could get back on top of your important schedule.
fivegoldstars2 h, 1 m ago

I did a week's shop in Aldi last week, and a little old lady joined the …I did a week's shop in Aldi last week, and a little old lady joined the queue behind me with just a pint of milk. I asked her if that was all she had. She smiled at me politely and said it was.I said, 'well if I were you, I'd go elsewhere because I'm going to be bloody ages.'

What sort of clown pops in Aldi for a pint of milk? I made the mistake of letting one in front of me on Friday & they decided to take the pee & buy some raffle tickets. Never again.
davewave30 m ago

Sounds awful, hope you recovered and could get back on top of your …Sounds awful, hope you recovered and could get back on top of your important schedule.

Well not being funny it’s supermarkets fault for not offering an alternative for only a few items and the individuals fault for only buying a few items and being completely inept. I’m going about my business and queuing up like everyone else so should they.
Must be store policy to have 8 available tills and only 2 people working as slow as possible.

Happens in my local too!
Cheaper costs equal cheaper overheads can’t have everything!
Let's talk about there a.c , isn't it so nice inside
Lidl I don't find too bad.

Aldi can be a nightmare, I'm an Aldi small shopper I don't even need a basket sometimes and I've had people rush infront of me with big trollies to get to the check out before me - frustrating but incredibly funny to witness and to wind up when you put a divider down after allowing them a small space to unload their full trolley and set your items down.

I don't expect anyone to let me infront, but if you're going barge past me at the tills, I'm going to be as awkward as I can get away with.
Snakeyes6468 h, 58 m ago

Don't be, I'm sure ppl do it to shorten and type faster as I'm sure we all …Don't be, I'm sure ppl do it to shorten and type faster as I'm sure we all know what they mean.

Incorrect. It's not an attempt to shorten a word, they simply do not know how to spell the word "queue" correctly.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants