ALDI now accept major CREDIT CARD in England

Found 8th Oct 2014
Aldi drops credit card ban at its supermarkets in England. It will start accepting credit cards from 13 October but some store seems to accept it already.

To go further, cashback credit card could be used (for example I have a luma card and I should expect 4% cashback on my groceries at Aldi from now). Same should apply with the 123 santander credit card or any other cashback card.

theguardian.com/bus…res
Community Updates
28 Comments
So, do they accept Visa, Mastercard and amex?

Thanks for the heads up
Original Poster
MichaelJ85

So, do they accept Visa, Mastercard and amex? Thanks for the heads up

Yes they do I have just paid today with my mastercard (with 4% cashback)
SuperEd
OP this is a heads up / info so no need to keep posting in deals.

Thanks
Original Poster
goonertillidie

OP this is a heads up / info so no need to keep posting in deals. Thanks

Could you remove "expired" then please? And sorry for that I'm quite new to hukd
Well that's good :). Bout time too!
I've forgotten a couple of times and tried to pay with my Paypal Mastercard access card - so obviously credit in the account and nope can't do that :(. Fortunately I've always had money in my bank as well and was just trying to use my Paypal balance instead of transferring it.
Lidl have been accepting cards for a while now, when I was in Aldi on Thurs last week I asked when they would be matching Lidl.
"job nockey" serving me said Lidl didn't accept credit cards.

I told him that I'd just spent £70 3 days before and paid on credit card (for the cashback obvsiouly!) - he said I can't have done!!!

Asked him if he's calling me a liar?
He replied he wasn't "but they only take debit cards, like us."
Pulled out my Lidl receipt and showed him the credit card that matched the receipt.

I didn't complete my purchase, as I walked out.

Cheeky ****
MichaelJ85

So, do they accept Visa, Mastercard and amex?

Not Amex

aldi.ie/en/…re/
about time that they move into the 21st century even if their prices are still in the 20th century.
they'll just pass on the 1.5% they pay to Visa/Mastercard on to us shoppers, so those of us who don't have a problem paying with Debit card or cash will lose out.
hapless

Lidl have been accepting cards for a while now, when I was in Aldi on … Lidl have been accepting cards for a while now, when I was in Aldi on Thurs last week I asked when they would be matching Lidl."job nockey" serving me said Lidl didn't accept credit cards.I told him that I'd just spent £70 3 days before and paid on credit card (for the cashback obvsiouly!) - he said I can't have done!!!Asked him if he's calling me a liar?He replied he wasn't "but they only take debit cards, like us."Pulled out my Lidl receipt and showed him the credit card that matched the receipt.I didn't complete my purchase, as I walked out.Cheeky ****

Seriously? You seriously stood there and argued with the cashier about whether a different shop accepts credit cards or not? And then abandoned your purchase because of it? Seems like an incredible waste of time to me! You left with no shopping and wasted time while the cashier wasn't affected in the slightest.
callum9999

Seriously? You seriously stood there and argued with the cashier about … Seriously? You seriously stood there and argued with the cashier about whether a different shop accepts credit cards or not? And then abandoned your purchase because of it? Seems like an incredible waste of time to me! You left with no shopping and wasted time while the cashier wasn't affected in the slightest.

The cashier was being paid whilst arguing the toss! X)
hapless

Lidl have been accepting cards for a while now, when I was in Aldi on … Lidl have been accepting cards for a while now, when I was in Aldi on Thurs last week I asked when they would be matching Lidl."job nockey" serving me said Lidl didn't accept credit cards.I told him that I'd just spent £70 3 days before and paid on credit card (for the cashback obvsiouly!) - he said I can't have done!!!Asked him if he's calling me a liar?He replied he wasn't "but they only take debit cards, like us."Pulled out my Lidl receipt and showed him the credit card that matched the receipt.I didn't complete my purchase, as I walked out.Cheeky ****

You should look in the mirror and
give yourself a good talking to.
Pointless and poor behaviour.
I asked the question in a civil and polite manner, expecting the same by return.

If you are happy to be called a liar by someone who is supposed to be serving you, then crack on.

I won't tolerate that. I wouldn't do it to anyone else, why should I accept it?

It was only bread and milk on way home, no great shakes.
Edited by: "hapless" 9th Oct 2014
hapless

I asked the question in a civil and polite manner, expecting the same by … I asked the question in a civil and polite manner, expecting the same by return.If you are happy to be called a liar by someone who is supposed to be serving you, then crack on.I won't tolerate that. I wouldn't do it to anyone else, why should I accept it?It was only bread and milk on way home, no great shakes.

"I asked if he was calling me a liar and he said he wasn't". Do you think anyone who ever disagrees with you is calling you a liar? The most likely scenario is he thought you were mistaken - big difference. Why on earth would anyone lie about something so trivial and tedious!

You've merely inconvenienced yourself while having zero impact on him. In fact, while you were typing that he was probably in the staff room laughing about the crazy customer he just served!
Have Aldi seriously not been accepting credit cards in England? I live in Scotland and have paid for every shop I've ever done in Aldi by credit card!
paully

Have Aldi seriously not been accepting credit cards in England? I live … Have Aldi seriously not been accepting credit cards in England? I live in Scotland and have paid for every shop I've ever done in Aldi by credit card!

nor lidl... it costs them money to accept credit cards and they already operate on tiny margins.
paully

Have Aldi seriously not been accepting credit cards in England? I live … Have Aldi seriously not been accepting credit cards in England? I live in Scotland and have paid for every shop I've ever done in Aldi by credit card!

Hope you find the same cashier as hapless, he could do with another yank on his chain.
deleted265520
Haha the hapless scenario has made my day.
espirit77

nor lidl... it costs them money to accept credit cards and they already … nor lidl... it costs them money to accept credit cards and they already operate on tiny margins.

Didn't realise they did in other parts of the UK. This is great as it means I can shop there right up until pay day!

Good news, not sure there is a massive issue with the card fee, they also need to pay someone to count the cash, take the cash away and pay the bank to cash the cash. Would have thought they were all about the same.

mocmocamoc

Didn't realise they did in other parts of the UK. This is great as it … Didn't realise they did in other parts of the UK. This is great as it means I can shop there right up until pay day! Good news, not sure there is a massive issue with the card fee, they also need to pay someone to count the cash, take the cash away and pay the bank to cash the cash. Would have thought they were all about the same.

That cost would pale in comparison versus the 2.3% of every CC transaction they now have to pay to Visa/Mastercard
As a merchant accepting card payments there is a cost to us per transaction. Typically 30p for a debit card, 2% for a credit card and we receive the funds in 3 working days. Amex levy a higher percentage and hold on to the money for 14 days which is why we and many other merchants refuse to accept Amex. I am not willing to provide a service on those terms in a competitive market (garage services) and also pay for Amex card holders' air miles!
Feel free to give me a carrier bag....
Banned
ELVIS_THE_PELVIS

Feel free to give me a carrier bag....

Feel free to bring some with you. Everyone's got hundreds of the buggers at home.
KillFelix

Feel free to bring some with you. Everyone's got hundreds of the buggers … Feel free to bring some with you. Everyone's got hundreds of the buggers at home.

Unless you have broken into my house,I fail to see how you can have any idea on my stock levels.

Feel free to assume wrongly.....
Banned
ELVIS_THE_PELVIS

Unless you have broken into my house,I fail to see how you can have any … Unless you have broken into my house,I fail to see how you can have any idea on my stock levels. Feel free to assume wrongly.....

I'm not assuming in terms of bags, you've said that you use them. What I am assuming is however, is that you're not stupid enough to throw them away. Was I wrong?
KillFelix

I'm not assuming in terms of bags, you've said that you use them. What I … I'm not assuming in terms of bags, you've said that you use them. What I am assuming is however, is that you're not stupid enough to throw them away. Was I wrong?

Everyone's got hundreds of the buggers at home. So that's not an assumption in terms of bags then?

"You've said that you use them" ..... show me were I said that?
ELVIS_THE_PELVIS

Everyone's got hundreds of the buggers at home. So that's not an … Everyone's got hundreds of the buggers at home. So that's not an assumption in terms of bags then?"You've said that you use them" ..... show me were I said that?

Ow dear. I just got told off by the mod,for my comments to you.
Banned
ELVIS_THE_PELVIS

Everyone's got hundreds of the buggers at home. So that's not an … Everyone's got hundreds of the buggers at home. So that's not an assumption in terms of bags then?"You've said that you use them" ..... show me were I said that?

"Feel free to give me a carrier bag...." - You asked for one so you obviously use them.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants