Aldi overcharging

Found 30th Sep 2017Edited by:"Blackgang"
WE all like the great deals Aldi give us however on my last shop a couple of hours ago I was overcharged on four of the nine items I purchase, I spotted two of them in store and after a very inefficient, not to mention them trying to give me less than the refund I was due, I got some money back. However when got home I found a further two items being overcharged.
I emailed Aldi UK and the customer service response was causal to say the least, suggesting to me this is common place in Aldi, shades of VW?
I would be very interested in hearing from others about being overcharged, and ask everybody to check their bill next time!!
Community Updates
Ask
22 Comments
What does ‘shades of VW’ mean?
Anyone else noticed that if people get overcharged it is write to head office and complain to CEO , but if they get under charged it is a "glitch" ? Not condoning overcharging , just an observation.
Never knowingly been overcharged. I always tot up roughly in my head how much the items are in my basket when going round. I sometimes check my bill if I've bought new stock items. think you've just been unlucky.
Sometimes the till operator miscounts the individuals bananas, usually in my favour.
hairray21 m ago

What does ‘shades of VW’ mean?

hairray, for many years German companies had a reputation for honesty, but VW was found tampering with their cars computers to fiddle their emissions.
Toptrumpet21 m ago

Never knowingly been overcharged. I always tot up roughly in my head how …Never knowingly been overcharged. I always tot up roughly in my head how much the items are in my basket when going round. I sometimes check my bill if I've bought new stock items. think you've just been unlucky.Sometimes the till operator miscounts the individuals bananas, usually in my favour.

Toptrumpet, was not the case, beetroot .35 billed .99, Tomatoes .35 billed .59, Potatoes 69 billed .89, Broccoli .35 billed .39. The correct number of items scanned. These tills are programmed nationally as part of an accounting and stock replacement system. Not human error or a local glitch. I wonder how many people bought those today and noticed how much they paid for them? It is not the first time this has happen, but only minor before.
Edited by: "Blackgang" 30th Sep 2017
I once bought an item in ASDA that was £2.50 for one (reduced from £3.50) or two for £6, I had to put them as 2 purchases otherwise the promotion automatically overcharged an extra £1.
psychobitchfromhell25 m ago

Anyone else noticed that if people get overcharged it is write to head …Anyone else noticed that if people get overcharged it is write to head office and complain to CEO , but if they get under charged it is a "glitch" ? Not condoning overcharging , just an observation.

psychbitchfromhell, yep agree, but when nearly 50% of the items on the bill are being overcharged??
Blackgang8 m ago

psychbitchfromhell, yep agree, but when nearly 50% of the items on the …psychbitchfromhell, yep agree, but when nearly 50% of the items on the bill are being overcharged??

Looks they hadn't updated the super six. I'm not saying you shouldn't complain, I'm a stickler for checking the till as items are rung through, I'm just saying we all are guilty of dual standards here.
Of the items you bought only Beetroot at 35p is included in this weeks super six. The pack of six salad tomatoes are usually 59p and I can't comment on the other items as I don't buy them regularly. Do you think they might have had the wrong shelf tickets on them perhaps?
Ultimately you have been overcharged or misled over the prices which is unfair and I too would have complained. In the future if it happens again speak to the store manager as I think you'd get better satisfaction to resolve the problem than ringing head office.
I'm due to visit my Aldi tomorrow and I'll check the shelf ticket prices and report back.
quite common in supermarkets as no one counts up all the items in the trolley or basket, just too much. i got over charged by sainsburys as they put through one more bottle of wine than i actually bought, twice and i had to ask for a refund.
psychobitchfromhell44 m ago

Looks they hadn't updated the super six. I'm not saying you shouldn't …Looks they hadn't updated the super six. I'm not saying you shouldn't complain, I'm a stickler for checking the till as items are rung through, I'm just saying we all are guilty of dual standards here.

It was more than the super six and as for the store, on finding the Beetroot a non uniform staff member (manager?) said to me that was yesterday??
Toptrumpet34 m ago

Of the items you bought only Beetroot at 35p is included in this weeks …Of the items you bought only Beetroot at 35p is included in this weeks super six. The pack of six salad tomatoes are usually 59p and I can't comment on the other items as I don't buy them regularly. Do you think they might have had the wrong shelf tickets on them perhaps?Ultimately you have been overcharged or misled over the prices which is unfair and I too would have complained. In the future if it happens again speak to the store manager as I think you'd get better satisfaction to resolve the problem than ringing head office.I'm due to visit my Aldi tomorrow and I'll check the shelf ticket prices and report back.

Shelf ticket spot on with online and Aldi mag advertising hence nipping in there, this was large number of overpricing errors which potentially made a lot of dosh in this store and how much have they made nationally? My experience very few people check their receipts especially when it is a long one.
I check my receipt for the price of every item every time, had to after I was getting overcharged 75% of the time at my local morrisons. Basically got to know the staff at the customer service desk as I was there every visit, I no longer shop there. I now mostly show at aldi, and whilst it sometimes happens I'd say it's 1 in 10 times so significantly better than morrisons.
What else is really confusing in both aldi and lidl is that they put the prices above the item not below. See people in our local question prices all the time and invariably they have read the price below not above
psychobitchfromhell12 m ago

What else is really confusing in both aldi and lidl is that they put the …What else is really confusing in both aldi and lidl is that they put the prices above the item not below. See people in our local question prices all the time and invariably they have read the price below not above

I always read the price above the product, must be the German in me
psychobitchfromhell4 h, 39 m ago

Anyone else noticed that if people get overcharged it is write to head …Anyone else noticed that if people get overcharged it is write to head office and complain to CEO , but if they get under charged it is a "glitch" ? Not condoning overcharging , just an observation.

Its up to each party to chase it up. The ones who are chasing it up have the right to do so.
MR112359 m ago

Its up to each party to chase it up. The ones who are chasing it up have …Its up to each party to chase it up. The ones who are chasing it up have the right to do so.

In away, but lets not forget it is in fact illegal as for many years retailers have tried to fool consumers to the actual cost of things, this was just one way. I like a deal like we all do, but don't be fooled we still don't get the best deals, which I don't like but accept, however this whoops we overpriced you is more than difficult to believe on so many items. Here's an idea if you find you have been overcharged then the retailer should give you double the difference back as a sorry! I know people take advantage of "glitches" I am not one of them and I am not sure there are that many of them out there, and also bear in mind there are many scams by high street retailers to gain free advertising classic phrase " I am not sure if it is National"
Life's too short
Blackgang1 h, 18 m ago

In away, but lets not forget it is in fact illegal as for many years …In away, but lets not forget it is in fact illegal as for many years retailers have tried to fool consumers to the actual cost of things, this was just one way. I like a deal like we all do, but don't be fooled we still don't get the best deals, which I don't like but accept, however this whoops we overpriced you is more than difficult to believe on so many items. Here's an idea if you find you have been overcharged then the retailer should give you double the difference back as a sorry! I know people take advantage of "glitches" I am not one of them and I am not sure there are that many of them out there, and also bear in mind there are many scams by high street retailers to gain free advertising classic phrase " I am not sure if it is National"

In (parts of?) Canada, many of the larger retailers have adopted a practice that says if an item scans through at a higher price than advertised, you get that item free (or $10 off for an item costing more than $10) - including if you notice it at the till (i.e. they can't manually override the price). So it is possible if customers push for it, I suppose.
Asda refund the overcharge then give you £2 on a gift card
benjammin3161 h, 4 m ago

Life's too short

Lucky Bast****,and the rest of us? Sorry I did not understand you live in a game world ever tried the real world?
Edited by: "Blackgang" 30th Sep 2017
Fun fact: Legally it's the price at POS i.e. the till that is correct and binding. contrary to poplar belief it is not the SEL (ticket). It is at the stores discretion if they allow it for the lower (or higher) price - however as many have in the past and still choose to do so, this belief has become commonly held.
Edited by: "chezybezy" 2nd Oct 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants