Expired

ALDI shelf markings - please be aware

Found 1st Aug 2016
Hi - this is just a heads up for everyone. It's not a deal as such but a warning to be aware of the way ALDI prices its shelves. For those who don't check their receipts, this could really save them lots of dosh, as I found out today

Today, whilst I was in ALDI, I witnessed a number of customers, at the tills, querying prices that they though the items were priced at, and the real price, as listed on the actual shelves. Many were buying a new line of Pork Scratchings, which looked as though they were 29p on the shelf but were actually 69p. Another was an Italian Pinot Grigio wine which was priced at £3.49 on the shelf where the wine was positioned but was actually £3.99, as shown on the shelf ABOVE the item.I was one of those who were caught up in the aftermath as I bought some too.

Anyway, ALDI have an unauthodox way of pricing their shelves and the positioning of the labeling on those shelves. Unusually they fix the price labels ABOVE the items, on the shelf immediately over the items, and not the shelf where the item is actually positioned. I thought everyone should be made aware as the logical way the human brain works is to look at the actual shelf where the item is, thus mistaking the price.

I don't know of any other supermarket who does this, You may know different.

This means. at first glance, people were looking at the price that was on the actual shelf and not the actual price positioned ABOVE the item.

I hope this helps. Please, when shopping in ALDI please check you are buying your items based on the price ABOVE the item and not the label on the actual shelf.

Next time in ALDI I will try to get some photos to show everyone what I mean.
Community Updates
ALDI DealsMisc
43 Comments
Audi!!!
Lidl
Can they read? Can you read? They also put the description next to the big swirly shapes us adults call 'the price'!
I hope this helps as I've shopped at Aldi for years :P
Maybe you should try Lidl X)
How about read the description on the ticket, bit of a give away!

So much for helping people. At least four shoppers got it wrong today, in one store. Nobody's perfect, or perhaps they are.

b1koni

Audi!!!

Good spot - thanks.
lidl do this, it's so annoying to try and make out the description in the sel sometimes, and sometimes they put the wrong stuff in the wrong place
cikki100

lidl do this, it's so annoying to try and make out the description in the … lidl do this, it's so annoying to try and make out the description in the sel sometimes, and sometimes they put the wrong stuff in the wrong place

Thanks for the first reasonable comment. I was thinking it may be deliberate to position labels this way or maybe a non-UK seller thing.
Witnessed by my self. Went to buy mango chutney assuming it's 29p but was at 79p. 29p was for product underneath it
HUBBATWO

Thanks for the first reasonable comment. I was thinking it may be … Thanks for the first reasonable comment. I was thinking it may be deliberate to position labels this way or maybe a non-UK seller thing.

First reasonable comment because it's the only one who agrees with you? You must be a lot of fun to be around.
Thanks for posting - i've moved this to Misc as a heads up post as opposed to a 'deal'.
The op is only trying to help, so the sarcastic comments are pretty stupid and pointless.
cikki100

...and sometimes they put the wrong stuff in the wrong place

...and, hence, the right stuff is...?

Anyone noticed that aldi don't put best before or use by dates on fresh produce? It's all in secret code on packaging.
g8spur

First reasonable comment because it's the only one who agrees with you? … First reasonable comment because it's the only one who agrees with you? You must be a lot of fun to be around.

The op has made a useful heads up post to try and help people and you actually took the time to hit the keyboard just so you could make a spiteful sneering remark? Poisonous and personal for no good reason. I bet you're 'loads' of fun to hang out with......
t_kaay

Anyone noticed that aldi don't put best before or use by dates on fresh … Anyone noticed that aldi don't put best before or use by dates on fresh produce? It's all in secret code on packaging.

They do now. When is the last time you shopped there? There have been dates on the fruit and veg for the past 2/3 months.
I'm always pointing out to my friend that the prices she calls out that seem a deal aren't for the item she thinks it is.

I wonder if it's designed that way to catch people out?

All UK super markets tend to be price below item above, while Aldi and Lidl are reverse.
I noticed this a while back and was nearly caught out when something I spotted on a shelf seemed expensive compared to Waitrose.

It is rather sneaky because I suspect that a lot of shoppers won't even think to check their receipts.
magicjay1986

Thanks for posting - i've moved this to Misc as a heads up post as … Thanks for posting - i've moved this to Misc as a heads up post as opposed to a 'deal'.

Ta very much. Wasn't sure where this one should go. I'm sure it will get the usual consideration backed up by really useful comments by the HOTUK critics wherever it is posted, but thanks anyway.
This has to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen on here. Are you for real? X) The discount supermarkets have been pricing products like this for years and years. It really isn't that hard if you look. oO
t_kaay

Anyone noticed that aldi don't put best before or use by dates on fresh … Anyone noticed that aldi don't put best before or use by dates on fresh produce? It's all in secret code on packaging.

German. To zee Engima machines...
jamiebradleylewis

This has to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen on here. Are … This has to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen on here. Are you for real? X) The discount supermarkets have been pricing products like this for years and years. It really isn't that hard if you look. oO

Congratulations on completely missing the point. It is only obvious if you know, which I guess some people would not. Thanks for helping to help others, which I have attempted to do !!!
Another "mistake" by the supermarkets. These mistakes multiplied by hundreds of stores = £ Millions extra on the profits sheet.
It is pretty simple, check the bottom shelf if there is no price below the product they obviously price above the item.

It makes more sense the way that they do it so you are not looking on the floor for prices of bottom items
cikki100

lidl do this, it's so annoying to try and make out the description in the … lidl do this, it's so annoying to try and make out the description in the sel sometimes, and sometimes they put the wrong stuff in the wrong place

I got caught out today at Lidl (_;) I saw a jar of olives for 99p and when I checked the receipt it was £1.99 Didn't have the time to get a refund.
HUBBATWO

...I'm sure it will get the usual consideration backed up by really … ...I'm sure it will get the usual consideration backed up by really useful comments by the HOTUK critics wherever it is posted, but thanks anyway.

Ungrateful Hukkers.
t_kaay

If you can't tell when a carrot is floppy you've got bigger problems than that.
I noticed this years ago and still sometimes get caught out, the shelf barker is often too small to read, and some ppl do not have perfect vision, and they are not always consistent either, last week 2 items were priced below the product

this is deliberate I am sure

thanks op for reminding / letting ppl know, ignore the smart A**** on here what sad lifes
They have always done this. Not sure if it's a German thing or a tax on un observant people.

Never seen anybody at till question prices though. As even though it may be priced at .29 it also says what item is that price.
miles136

I noticed this years ago and still sometimes get caught out, the shelf … I noticed this years ago and still sometimes get caught out, the shelf barker is often too small to read, and some ppl do not have perfect vision, and they are not always consistent either, last week 2 items were priced below the product this is deliberate I am surethanks op for reminding / letting ppl know, ignore the smart A**** on here what sad lifes

Really? I can't think of anywhere where the price is written bigger

http://www.copywritenow.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/fullselect01.jpg

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02858/aldi-fruit-and-veg_2858162b.jpg
I've noticed people question prices at the till for silly items. "What do you mean this large bottle of vodka isn't £3.99?! It says it on the shelf." Yeah seems a legit price. oO

Whilst I appreciate the OP is trying to be helpful, I find it hard to believe that people would never read the product name once during a shop and not notice the prices are above. Except when they want to think they've found a "bargain" as mentioned. I always check the label matches the product on any supermarket because staff aren't perfect or a customer could have put something in the wrong place. It's really just common sense.

In Lidl meat/fish and produce all have their prices above as do their special buy things. Chiller is "regular style" pricing for obvious reasons.

As someone's mentioned I think it's mainly so you don't have to take 4 steps back just to see the price on the bottom shelf. Feel free to contact trading standards if you think the companies are being misleading. Generally, everything is clearly labelled, it's up to you to read it and not the company.

The people saying it's a deliberate conspiracy to boost profits well, words fail me. X)
I don't shop in Aldi very often but I do admit I have to remind myself of the different style pricing which can be annoying but as said they have been doing this since they opened I think? (1990)

I honestly didn't think there would be anyone who didn't know this.
What about the times you buy something and it's actually cheaper than you thought the shelf label said? Do you offer Aldi to keep the difference?
My local lidl nothing in the baskets have the right price above. You have to either ask or become a detective as the price could be 5 baskets down. all the food items on the other hand are correctly priced above the item.
Coop are the worst, Asda second, had a couple of double scan items with Aldi (they go so fast) I usually check the receipt now. but usually Lidl/Aldi are spot on with pricing. It helps if you're not an imbecile..
splatsplatsplat

Coop are the worst, Asda second, had a couple of double scan items with … Coop are the worst, Asda second, had a couple of double scan items with Aldi (they go so fast) I usually check the receipt now. but usually Lidl/Aldi are spot on with pricing. It helps if you're not an imbecile..

What's wrong with co-op and ASDA? clear as day all the stores near me.
splatsplatsplat

Coop are the worst, Asda second, had a couple of double scan items with … Coop are the worst, Asda second, had a couple of double scan items with Aldi (they go so fast) I usually check the receipt now. but usually Lidl/Aldi are spot on with pricing. It helps if you're not an imbecile..

Ha ha ha
MrScotchBonnet

What's wrong with co-op and ASDA? clear as day all the stores near me.

I check my receipt EVERY time I shop in co-op. The amount of times I've nearly been done is unbelievable. The worst thing they do is keep the offer sel up when it's expired.
moneysavingkitten

Really? I can't think of anywhere where the price is written bigger

not all are that large and the pic you posted is larger than real life, I do struggle to see the writing not often to see the price, today I had to ask my 8yr old nephew to read to labels for me
miles136

not all are that large and the pic you posted is larger than real life, I … not all are that large and the pic you posted is larger than real life, I do struggle to see the writing not often to see the price, today I had to ask my 8yr old nephew to read to labels for me

Larger than real life? If so they sell shampoo the size of my finger.
moneysavingkitten

Larger than real life? If so they sell shampoo the size of my finger.

I can only speak as I find and the writing for me is often too small
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants