Aldi UK partners Deliveroo for grocery home delivery

Lead deal editor14
Posted 18th May
From Monday (Today 18/05/2020) - ALDI will trial with one store in Nottingham, before extending to a further 7 stores arcross the East Midlands in June.

IF successful, we could be looking at this at quite a few stores by end of 2020

If anyone uses it this week, do let me know how get on!

Be intresting to know if LIDL etc follow suit.

ONDON (Reuters) - Aldi UK, the British arm of the German supermarket discounter, said it would trial grocery home delivery for the first time in partnership with Deliveroo.

From Monday, Aldi will offer a rapid delivery service from a store in Nottingham, central England, before extending the trial to a further seven stores across the East Midlands in June.

If successful, the service could roll out to further Aldi stores by the end of 2020, it said.

Britain’s fifth-largest supermarket chain, with 875 stores and an 8% market share, has previously restricted online sales to wine and its “Specialbuys” range of non-food items such as electrical goods and garden tools.

However, last month it did start selling online food parcels to help self-isolating and vulnerable customers during the coronavirus crisis.

The new service will allow customers to order from over 150 Aldi products, such as bread, milk and fresh produce, through the Deliveroo app. These will be picked and packed by Aldi staff in-store, for delivery via Deliveroo’s network of riders in as little as 30 minutes.

Britain’s big four supermarket groups - market leader Tesco, Sainsbury’s, Asda and Morrisons - have been ramping-up their online delivery businesses to serve increased demand during the pandemic.

Before the health crisis started, about 7% of UK grocery sales were delivered to homes - about one in every 15 households.

But even if delivery capacity doubled, some 85% of the market would still need to be served by visits to stores.

Source
Community Updates

Groups

14 Comments
Do you know how much the delivery charge is? Hopefully not 4.50 like Morrisons!
andrewworrall118/05/2020 08:37

Do you know how much the delivery charge is? Hopefully not 4.50 like …Do you know how much the delivery charge is? Hopefully not 4.50 like Morrisons!

Not atm, sadly not in that area.

if/when i do find out, i'll update
Just need to get deliveroo where I live and in with a chance of getting this!

And Uber, Uber eats.
Early days but this could eat into Tesco’s dominance of home delivery. But I’m guessing that they would need to upgrade their website massively
Great. This means your items will do a 2 hour tour of your city before arrive the complete opposite temperature it was intended to. Gotta give it to Deliveroo drivers...
Craig201818/05/2020 10:50

Early days but this could eat into Tesco’s dominance of home delivery. But …Early days but this could eat into Tesco’s dominance of home delivery. But I’m guessing that they would need to upgrade their website massively

It's on the Deliveroo app not the Aldi website
sm969018/05/2020 12:23

It's on the Deliveroo app not the Aldi website

And I am thinking it’s going to be limited because Deliveroo use Bikes etc, not full on delivery vans like what Tesco etc use. So it’s not aimed at the weekly shop, from what I can see.
Craig201818/05/2020 12:25

And I am thinking it’s going to be limited because Deliveroo use Bikes e …And I am thinking it’s going to be limited because Deliveroo use Bikes etc, not full on delivery vans like what Tesco etc use. So it’s not aimed at the weekly shop, from what I can see.

Deliveroo uses cars and bikes. In fact, I think I've only ever had someone arrive on a bike once from Deliveroo, mostly cars.
andrewworrall118/05/2020 08:37

Do you know how much the delivery charge is? Hopefully not 4.50 like …Do you know how much the delivery charge is? Hopefully not 4.50 like Morrisons!

Unfortunately it is £4.50 delivery with £15 minimum spend
jamie1518/05/2020 13:13

Unfortunately it is £4.50 delivery with £15 minimum spend

Annoying have you got this in your area or did you see it on an article etc?
andrewworrall118/05/2020 13:26

Annoying have you got this in your area or did you see it on an …Annoying have you got this in your area or did you see it on an article etc?

I changed my address to the store location, prices seem to be good
jamie1518/05/2020 13:27

Makes sense cheers Jamie
jamie1518/05/2020 13:27

Looks like everything is priced 10% above in-store prices.
plebbygiraffe18/05/2020 13:42

Looks like everything is priced 10% above in-store prices.

Given it's on Deliveroo it's not much of a markup if you have Deliveroo+
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions