Aldi vegetables

Found 12th Dec 2015
Are you finding that Aldi fresh vegetables aren't ? I have now got to the stage where I won't buy them any longer as they go off very quickly and clearly cannot be fresh in the store. Even their 49/59 pence offer veg isn't fresh any longer.
I know that you can take them back but it's not worth the journey for two different veg that are off in two days.
Their bread is now ofter best before the next day so I'm only using them for tinned and frozen goods now. Shame.
Community Updates
AskVegetable
28 Comments
yes I only use aldi for man toys
Nuts, grapefruit and finest chips is all I usually end up buying.
I have noticed this as well but also their meat has been going off before the use by date. we no longer by meat from Aldi
I don't have an Aldi but my Lidl is usually okay. I have issues with Asdas salads, however. They often go off before the expiry date and a lot of the 'salad kits' they have out on display are already gone off even before purchase, the bags are all puffed up as well. I've reported the issue a number of times but the staff don't even bother to take them off the shelves and they are still on sale even the day theyre due to expire, very rarely do you find any with a good best before date on them. It's like supermarkets purposely put out the old stock, while holding back fresh and so by the time they put that out it's no good either.
Edited by: "cryption" 12th Dec 2015
will never buy fruit and veg there again, awful and lucky to last till next day. and after watching the programming on TV the other week I now know why
yes, I won't buy milk there now at Aldi either as it frequently goes off days before its date. weird that they are still winning the awards for best supermarket.
Lidl seem a lot better for freshness and I buy veg there now.
Never had a problem, most veg lasts a couple of weeks fine. I do find you have to pick the best ones rather than just assume they are all good. Also their milk is normally still good 10 days after the date.
themorgatron

Never had a problem, most veg lasts a couple of weeks fine. I do find you … Never had a problem, most veg lasts a couple of weeks fine. I do find you have to pick the best ones rather than just assume they are all good. Also their milk is normally still good 10 days after the date.

yes, mine used to be like that then they got really busy and expanded, changed manager and now not good.
niconelove

will never buy fruit and veg there again, awful and lucky to last till … will never buy fruit and veg there again, awful and lucky to last till next day. and after watching the programming on TV the other week I now know why

What programme?
Fruit and veg not too bad at my local aldi, milk and bread is rubbish though...lucky to buy with even 5 days date on milk and 2 days on bread most of the time. I tend to buy what I need to last me a couple of days meals, rarely do a full weekly shop of fresh stuff.
Put them in fridge
This is the reason I stopped shopping at ALDI. Nothing lasts longer than a couple days.
This is the reason I stopped shopping at ALDI. Nothing lasts longer than a couple days.
sofiasar

What programme?

There was a programme on a few weeks back that showed Aldi stores were still selling 'fresh' fruit and veg up to a week after they had passed their sell by date. Their 'fresh' stuff does have a best before date on but it's in code so that customers don't realise, it's got the week number as in 1-53 then the day of that week, so Mon is 1 and Sunday is 7 etc. I too stopped buying as things went off too quickly.
Awful for fresh stuff.I went the other evening,the 8th.All of the bread was dated the 9th.Bags of ready to eat salad with the days date on it with browning salad inside.Would never use the place as a main shop.
Aldi still seem to shift stuff though.As with bread and milk etc..most people don't bother checking dates,so pick them straight off the shelf.
Went to aldi today and saw bread with mould on and every bag of carrots i looked at had at least a couple of bad ones in it. Think i'll stick to my local lidl for fruit and veg deals!
The fruit and veg has been dire from aldi and even Lidl last couple of times been there. Mould on blackberries, bruised and dry bananas. I also got fed up of the way the others shoppers are, barging into you and not to mention the ever so cheerful staff... not. Morrisons seems pretty decent with their prices so i have shopped therer and with their price match against Aldi and Lidl keep getting a £5.00 voucher quite often.
themorgatron

Never had a problem, most veg lasts a couple of weeks fine. I do find you … Never had a problem, most veg lasts a couple of weeks fine. I do find you have to pick the best ones rather than just assume they are all good. Also their milk is normally still good 10 days after the date.

my local good too, is it store dependent ? i buy mix of types of food and really is good.
Buy meat from a butchers.
Buy veg from a greengrocers or farm shop
Buy bakery goods from a bakers
Buy fish from a fishmongers.... unless you want convenience. Its sometimes cheaper too. And yes i find the odd bit of fruit or veg i buy is getting worse on freshness
Edited by: "cornishscouse" 12th Dec 2015
Bought a Mince round from Aldi a while back, lovely packaging, cheap price.........cut into it to serve and it was like a sea of sludge leaking out......disgusting!
I never buy fresh veg and meat anymore. Also bought fajita kit but on opening the fajitas were mouldy. Too far to return.
Never have a problem. The meat always lasts until it's use by date and the veg over a week. Still got a butternut squash from 3 months ago!

Is your fridge on high enough?
Steve Mac

Never have a problem. The meat always lasts until it's use by date and … Never have a problem. The meat always lasts until it's use by date and the veg over a week. Still got a butternut squash from 3 months ago!Is your fridge on high enough?

Well I can't say everyone's fridge is on high enough but mine certainly is. It's only stuff from Aldi that goes off really quickly. now I have stopped buying veg there the problem has miraculously gone away.

I have noticed this too, the veg and fruit goes off quite quickly. I have purchased the butter and that too starts to smell once opened. it's weird, everytime I get this weird musty smell from it and have to throw it away. initially I thought it was the fact they used less chemicals so the fruit didn't stay fresh as long, but I'm beginning to doubt that now. I've often purchased things that have already been mouldy or off. Shame really, because I liked Aldi, since the Tesco isn't much better.
heybigspender

There was a programme on a few weeks back that showed Aldi stores were … There was a programme on a few weeks back that showed Aldi stores were still selling 'fresh' fruit and veg up to a week after they had passed their sell by date. Their 'fresh' stuff does have a best before date on but it's in code so that customers don't realise, it's got the week number as in 1-53 then the day of that week, so Mon is 1 and Sunday is 7 etc. I too stopped buying as things went off too quickly.

​that explains so much. I need to watch this programme.
Unfortunately after having to bin a two days old veg from Asda or Tesco -paying a good money for it too - I now go to Aldi (or Lidl), do not buy too much so its eaten while fresh (and do keep it in a fridge) and at least if it does go off It only cost me few pennys
Always use Aldi and have never had a problem with fruit or veg. I've used Peppers weeks after their suppose use by date and they were non the worse than when I bought them.

Carrots and Parsnips also seem to last for weeks, but as an earlier poster mentioned, my fridge is quite cool
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants