Alexa / Echo Dot / Google thing etc

Found 13th Nov 2017
I don’t get the appeal or need for these things. What do people use these for on a daily basis?
Community Updates
Ask
6 Comments
I had a Google Home Mini free with my Pixel 2. So far, glad I had it for free. Its a cool little gimmick but not really that useful yet. I guess If I invested in a Smart thermostat or Philips Hue lights, basically making my house automated and linked to the Mini, it could be useful but all I really do is ask it questions now and then. I find doing stuff on my phone is quicker than using one of these. See what other stuff comes out for it and maybe eventually getting Google Home Mini talking to my Android TV (Nvidia Shied) for stuff like paysuing Netflix. That would be good.
- listening to the radio
- listening to particular songs or playlists
- turning my HUE lights on and off
- telling me what time it is when I'm curled up in bed and don't know if I need to get up yet
- setting timers and alarms
Original Poster
sicklysweet26 m ago

- listening to the radio- listening to particular songs or playlists- …- listening to the radio- listening to particular songs or playlists- turning my HUE lights on and off- telling me what time it is when I'm curled up in bed and don't know if I need to get up yet - setting timers and alarms

Thanks. Looks like you are using it quite often. Is it really quicker or more convenient than just using Siri or other things on your phone? And do you have many around the house or just one that you have to move around from room to room with you?
Well my mum doesn't know how to use a computer whatsoever, so I got her the alexa last christmas as a sort of intermediate. The idea really was she could use it as her calendar, maybe buy some stuff, listen to music, and whatever else. Really it's only used to find opening times, phone numbers, music, and radio

Alexa is kind of dumb, I love it but... google is superior and I wish I bought that

with that said.. this new alexa with the screen is a great step forward, and I would be on the fence now between that one and google home, google home is great imo cause it is google.. and google knows everything
Alexa dot sits in my kitchen , I check the weather with her while I'm loading up the washing machine so I know if I need to put things onto dry or if I can stick them outside. She plays my choice of music while I cook and then sets a timer for the cooking without me needing to stop and wash my hands to set a timer manually. She reads me the news while I feed the cat in the morning so I know what's going on. Plan to have her set up to turn the Christmas tree lights on and off next month as the plug is in a difficult place to access. She has story games set up for my nephew and things like would you rather when we run out of stupid questions to ask each other. Nothing we couldn't live without but she is quite useful .
....a more meaningful conversation than my other half
Edited by: "Sambat" 14th Nov 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions