Alexa or Google

Found 12th Dec 2017Edited by:"mc11"
I am looking to get Google home or Amazons Alexa along side their mini counterparts but I am looking for advice.

I am half an half at home 3 fire tv devices and 2 fire tablets (for the kids). Android phones (one work and one personal) and a tablet. I use a chromecast on the main tv along side the older fire tv box but finding myself using the chromecast more are now tv can be used on there.

I am split right down the middle with the devices I all ready have and I am unsure with which to go for to have the house using one platform or even using both side by side.

I have read many reviews on the good and bad points of both. Just looking for genuine feed back on and advice from people who have them.
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
Have Google home mini and love it. No experience with Alexa but my vote goes to Google
Not being an amazon fan or junkie, I intend to get Google home.
We've got Alexa, but then we have Amazon Prime and we bought the Echo last year before Home was available and I'm happy enough with it.

That said, I only use it for playing music, turning the heating up and down and turning the kitchen lights on - I'm not interested in ordering flour/dog food/anything with it

They both listen to you all the time and send you targeted adverts as a result, which bothers my wife a lot more than it bothers me.
I have two Echo Dot's but I'd switch to the Home Mini if they add audio out.

The Echo is good at controlling stuff and playing music but it's terrible for just answering questions and can be a bit picky about the way you have to word requests.
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 13th Dec 2017
still not bought any of the devices yet. im going to go for the google mini/home eventually, I just want more fetures to be rolled out for it. at the moment, im sufficing with assistant on my phone to control lights and heating. just not enough stuff there for what I would use. google still don't have full Netflix control, no plex functionality, my podcast app is not on, tunein radio is hit and miss
so im sold by the concept and can see it really working but google are just being a PITA for not rolling out the API's req for the devs to get their apps assistant compatible.

google and amazing having a willy fight don't help us consumers as I have a few chromecasts doted about in the house which I wouldn't be able to use with alexa.
dcx_badass1 h, 38 m ago

I have two Echo Dot's but I'd switch to the Home Mini if they add audio …I have two Echo Dot's but I'd switch to the Home Mini if they add audio out.The Echo is good at controlling stuff and playing music but it's terrible for just answering questions and can be a bit picky about the way you have to word requests.

ideally I want to get into Home Assistant which is open source. but im still looking into it as its Pi based(ideally) so im not sure how plug and play it is. but to me, that seems to me the best solution. a Pi used as a hub, voice does not get saved on any server and has all the home automation stuff.
None got the wife she knows everything and can switch off and on the lights, heating when required
Both are not ready for market but Google Home is slightly better, there's not much in it.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants