Aliexpress

Posted 4th FebEdited by:"SOUTHWALES"
Hi, want to buy a large rc car from aliexpress, I have never use them before, do you normally have to pay any import taxes or other hidden charges? Value of car is £32.
Community Updates
Ask
4 Comments
You won't pay customs duty on something that cost £32, you only pay customs duty on anything over the value of £135.

Although you are supposed to pay VAT on anything from outside the EU over £15 but I very very much doubt you will be charged anything on £32.

I've probably purchased 100's of things from AliExpress over the years and only once have I been charged VAT but never had a customs charge.

Is what you need to do when you purchase something from AliExpress is leave a note to the seller to declare the value at $20USD or less and 9/10 they always do so you'll avoid customs and VAT.
PankoBreadCrum104/02/2020 15:54

You won't pay customs duty on something that cost £32, you only pay …You won't pay customs duty on something that cost £32, you only pay customs duty on anything over the value of £135.Although you are supposed to pay VAT on anything from outside the EU over £15 but I very very much doubt you will be charged anything on £32.I've probably purchased 100's of things from AliExpress over the years and only once have I been charged VAT but never had a customs charge.Is what you need to do when you purchase something from AliExpress is leave a note to the seller to declare the value at $20USD or less and 9/10 they always do so you'll avoid customs and VAT.

do you think asking them to put a £20 value, on a £1200 mobility scooter, I’d get away with it
I can't really add anything to the answer from @PankoBreadCrum1 but I will say that because of the Chinese New Year and the Coronavirus outbreak, you may well be waiting for it to be delivered a bit longer than usual.

For more information on how AliExpress works and customs and taxes information, have a read of our guide:
hotukdeals.com/dis…660

Some people are unlucky and get charged VAT and therefore the Royal Mail handling fee (£8), but hopefully this won't be you.
Mendoza04/02/2020 16:07

do you think asking them to put a £20 value, on a £1200 mobility scooter, I …do you think asking them to put a £20 value, on a £1200 mobility scooter, I’d get away with it

Haha I don't know about that but if you talk to them before you make a purchase they will let you know the lowest price they can declare it for you, (I think it's more to do with insurance)

I've had some sellers that would declare say a £300+ phone at $20USD but also some that just won't budge.

I was going to purchase a laptop that was £530 a few weeks ago but he wouldn't go any lower that £400 on the declaration so it wasn't worth it if I got stuck with customs charges and VAT.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants