aliexpress fees

Posted 19th Nov
Hello everyone,
I want to buy a phone from aliexpress since its cheaper. Have anyone recently paid for taxes? I contacted seller to talk about the taxes and he said that they will declare 45$ on package. Do I have a chance to not pay any customs fee? If I have to pay, how much would 45$ cost for me? I'm using aliexpress standart shipping by the way.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

14 Comments
Welcome to HUKD.

So unless the phone is actually worth $45, you're planning on committing tax evasion?
Usual comment about the freephone hotline to specifically assist with this type of question: 0800 788 887
simplyduty.com/import-calculator/

If the seller was willing to declare a lower value on the customs form why don't you get them to declare below the threshold?
Edited by: "DistortedVision" 19th Nov
See if the phone is available via EGC as the price displayed on the EGC product page is the cost for the device to reach your door with no futher fees payable. If purchasing from that merchant, only consider paying directly by UK credit card and only if the phone (or any individual item) is over £100; any other payment method may not offer the UK-based protection of the suggested method.
You might want to consider possible handling fees on top of the duty due.

For example Royal Mail have a £8 handling fee plus the tax due which I think would be 20% of the cost
In my experience I always seem to get hit with a charge, but many sellers like yours will put $45 value instead of the true value. I just had one yesterday with that exact amount and the charge was £6.99 + £8 handling fee
Some sellers on Amazon and ebay ship from within the EU so no customs fees and the prices can be similar. Always annoys me on aliexpress when there is a ship from Spain option or similar that won't ship to the UK.
athunder19/11/2019 13:23

In my experience I always seem to get hit with a charge, but many sellers …In my experience I always seem to get hit with a charge, but many sellers like yours will put $45 value instead of the true value. I just had one yesterday with that exact amount and the charge was £6.99 + £8 handling fee

wow, okay that's not much. It's still cheaper than UK or EU.
EDIT: By the way, can I pay my tax online?
Edited by: "dex000" 19th Nov
bonzobanana19/11/2019 16:32

Some sellers on Amazon and ebay ship from within the EU so no customs fees …Some sellers on Amazon and ebay ship from within the EU so no customs fees and the prices can be similar. Always annoys me on aliexpress when there is a ship from Spain option or similar that won't ship to the UK.

I wanted to buy from EU aliexpress seller but it ran out super quick. I couldn't even buy it
I have never paid tax from AliExpress, but I ordering slower delivery method.

This first come to Amsterdam or Lithuania, and next with new postage label coming to UK fro UE country.

Sometimes is with yellow label (from outside of UE tax areas) but never paid tax.

About 6-10 days for delivery.
Can anyone please send me a link to the follow up post, ‘Help my item is lost/broken during delivery!’, when it comes?
dex00019/11/2019 19:07

wow, okay that's not much. It's still cheaper than UK or EU.EDIT: By the …wow, okay that's not much. It's still cheaper than UK or EU.EDIT: By the way, can I pay my tax online?

I went and collected mine at the local sorting office, paid cash. I think you can also pay online and have it delivered.
myusernamehasgone23419/11/2019 13:14

You might want to consider possible handling fees on top of the duty …You might want to consider possible handling fees on top of the duty due.For example Royal Mail have a £8 handling fee plus the tax due which I think would be 20% of the cost

athunder19/11/2019 13:23

In my experience I always seem to get hit with a charge, but many sellers …In my experience I always seem to get hit with a charge, but many sellers like yours will put $45 value instead of the true value. I just had one yesterday with that exact amount and the charge was £6.99 + £8 handling fee

I agree with you guys - the £6.99 computed using a daily variable exchange rate of 1GBP = 1.28USD taxed at 20%
So on most items it will be £8 RM handling charge + 20% VAT equivalent.
Which is my experience also.
dex00019/11/2019 19:07

wow, okay that's not much. It's still cheaper than UK or EU.EDIT: By the …wow, okay that's not much. It's still cheaper than UK or EU.EDIT: By the way, can I pay my tax online?

Bear in mind, the warranty is next to useless
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions