Aliexpress, Gearbest, Tomtop etc etc

Posted 20th Nov
I’ve been using these Chinese websites for a while now. We all know the game, it’s a long delivery timeframe, and there’s potentially customs issues, but that’s all part of the game for me. I love following the tracking number and wondering when it’ll arrive. Good fun!

Recently though, I’ve had two orders (Aliexpress and Tomtop) delivered in less than a week, with a Royal Mail 48 hour tracked postage label on them.

Happy Days =)

What I’m wondering is, why isn’t this service advertised?

Each time the item location was stated as China, and the usual lengthy delivery time quoted. It’s obviously sent from somewhere much closer, and therefore arrives much quicker. This must almost certainly guarantee no customs charges, as the items are almost certainly coming from within Europe, maybe even from within the U.K.

If I could identify the sellers who use this method, then I’d obviously use them more often, even if they were a little more expensive.

Why aren’t these sellers making this clear? Is this practice common? Have I just got lucky? Am I missing something?

Community Updates
Buying From Abroad
9 Comments
Is it not sellers that use Yanwen as the carrier. It’s almost they send in bulk to a uk warehouse where it’s individually packed and sent out. I noticed when they leave China it’s given a GB tracking number.
Drop-shipping. Mailed to a UK warehouse and re-stickered with Royal Mail labels. Not sure if it's to avoid Customs though.
Must avoid the hot choc........
louiselouise20/11/2019 20:06

Drop-shipping. Mailed to a UK warehouse and re-stickered with Royal Mail …Drop-shipping. Mailed to a UK warehouse and re-stickered with Royal Mail labels. Not sure if it's to avoid Customs though.

As in bulk shipping like Alan above mentioned?
Edited by: "BPH1977" 20th Nov
alankfc0220/11/2019 19:55

Is it not sellers that use Yanwen as the carrier. It’s almost they send in …Is it not sellers that use Yanwen as the carrier. It’s almost they send in bulk to a uk warehouse where it’s individually packed and sent out. I noticed when they leave China it’s given a GB tracking number.

I’m no clearer on this. Both orders state either “sellers shipping method” (not specified, or “standard shipping”. One tracking number did have “GB” at the end (MB at the start) but the other started and ending with UE and YP respectively.

I must have just got lucky...
BPH197721/11/2019 09:47

I’m no clearer on this. Both orders state either “sellers shipping method” …I’m no clearer on this. Both orders state either “sellers shipping method” (not specified, or “standard shipping”. One tracking number did have “GB” at the end (MB at the start) but the other started and ending with UE and YP respectively. I must have just got lucky...

Any deliveries from China is just luck. I have had stuff turn up in 5 days to 12 weeks while others never turned up at all. Just the risk you take.
alankfc0221/11/2019 09:49

Any deliveries from China is just luck. I have had stuff turn up in 5 days …Any deliveries from China is just luck. I have had stuff turn up in 5 days to 12 weeks while others never turned up at all. Just the risk you take.

The speed isn’t an issue for me, it’s the possible customs charges on higher value items. Or even lower value items! The Royal Mail fee is often more than the item value and the customs charge, as you know.

If it was made clear that items would be forwarded on from a closer location I’d be inclined to buy more.
Edited by: "BPH1977" 22nd Nov
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions