Found 17th Nov 2016
I recently purchased 5x items from a seller and the other day i received a text from DHL stating I need to pay £19 in taxes, i informed the seller and they said it is not the item for which they sent. But this is the only thing I had bought recently online. Anyways I figured out the seller is lying and showed them proof that it was their item. However, I reluctantly paid for this - probably my fault for not knowing about this beforehand but have purchased many items from china etc and never had to pay a penny in tax's.

Now another problems begins, I bought 5x of the item and have only received 2, BOTH of which are damaged and have marks all over it. When i placed my order the seller had added me on whatsapp and we were texting through that regarding the order, and now when I complained to the seller and sent them pics they are saying the courier company is to blame and now have blocked me on whatsapp.

I have spoken to Aliexpress customer service who have told me to open a dispute and ask for a refund. However, the options I have are either to return the item to get my full refund, or ask for partial refund and keep the item. Problem with returning the item is that I have to pay for return postage. I paid £119 (£20 each + £19 tax) in total for all 5x items, and only received 2 both of which have marks on so both are going to waste. It will cost me probably half that to post these back so I opened the dispute asking for $120 partial refund.

I do not see how I have any chances of getting my money back this way, so what other options do i have? Do i contact my bank? I paid with Visa Debit card.. if that makes any difference.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
11 Comments

you are responsible for import taxes etc so why cry to the seller? did they say it was from the uk?

i know its not what you were asking exactly but you added that in as a moan

That's a big hit, £119.
I've mentioned on here before, that if one buys on AE, you have to be prepared to lose it, since there is no consumer protection.
I have bought loads of things on AE, and it's only been on the expensive items that I've had problems, and lost money, so like you I've learnt the hard way. Sub £20 always seems ok.

That's rough!! Sounds like if you were to send it back you would get nothing as the seller sounds like a ripoff merchant. I would put this as a learning ordeal. It's not worth the stress. It has happened to myself a few times.

Original Poster

Is there nothing i could do through my bank? Ive looked online and says i could file a claim through my bank under sales of goods

Always choose the slow delivery option (10-20 days), If you choose the fast DHL option you're liable to be slapped with taxes.

The sale of goods act (or it's replacement, which I forget the name of) only applies to anything bought from a UK based seller. It one of the minus points of buying from China/HK.
Also all sellers over there will require you to send the item(s) back at your expense by a tracked service if you need to return anything.

You're going have a problem now you've used a debt card, for safety in the future ALWAYS use either a Credit card or funds from Paypal (not a CC through Paypal, it's not the same and won't protect you).

Is there a weight label on the package? Maybe you can prove the seller sent only 2 items out of 5 that way? I agree with the others, AliExpress is not a place I would buy an expensive or large item from in case anything goes wrong..

Do not take this the wrong way but you do not seem very aufait at buying online. Take some time and do a little bit of research before you buy and you will find lots of info on the pitfalls especially when buying from abroad.
It seems that you will probably have to right off the monies this time, but as a last resort contact you're bank and tell them you want to do a charge back for non delivered goods and see if they will help. Keep the story as short and to the point as possible, I wouldn't bring in the import tax bit. Good luck and you have my sympathies.

bandit17

Is there a weight label on the package? Maybe you can prove the seller … Is there a weight label on the package? Maybe you can prove the seller sent only 2 items out of 5 that way? I agree with the others, AliExpress is not a place I would buy an expensive or large item from in case anything goes wrong..

I've ordered 2 items at the same time before and one came a day before the other, I asked the delivery driver ''is that it? :|'' and he said ''that's it mate, I probably be round tomorrow''. He came round the following day with the other parcel.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 17th Nov 2016

Contact your bank and request a charge back.

Original Poster

Argoj

Do not take this the wrong way but you do not seem very aufait at buying … Do not take this the wrong way but you do not seem very aufait at buying online. Take some time and do a little bit of research before you buy and you will find lots of info on the pitfalls especially when buying from abroad. It seems that you will probably have to right off the monies this time, but as a last resort contact you're bank and tell them you want to do a charge back for non delivered goods and see if they will help. Keep the story as short and to the point as possible, I wouldn't bring in the import tax bit. Good luck and you have my sympathies.

I do buy online all the time. I have actually bought the same item from the same seller previously and it arrived in a week with no problems whatsoever in perfect condition! Just now that I ordered more from the same seller he has totally messed me about! I have a dispute ongoing with AE. I have spoken to my bank who said I need to write in a detailed letter etc, but will do this after i get an outcome from AE, as the bank has asked for proof of any resolution from the seller/website etc.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Should I upgrade to Windows 10?711
    2. Black Xbox One or Xbox One S33
    3. 1 Product Online Shop11
    4. meaning of op710

See more discussions