AliExpress just seems to be full of scammers

Posted 30th Jul 2020
Ordered a specific lens mount for a camera (Sony A7S which is a metal mount). Package sent on 24th and received on 29th. They sent a much cheaper plastic one meant for a different model. They even admitted doing so in the messaging feature on the site. They claim because I didn't reply to them asking which model camera I had, but I hadn't seen these messages as I wasn't notified of them. And in any case if I order a specific part number, that's the exact one I want.

They have since sent messages saying they will send the correct version. But then another message saying because of shipping times they will have to cancel, I'll have to order again, and they offered a refund by PayPal. A Google search suggests this is a common tactic used by AliExpress sellers as they later raise a dispute with PayPal and say they have not received the item, and you're left with no leg to stand on.

Looks like I'm going to have to go through the dispute process and deal with them desperately trying to get me to cancel the dispute. They have 100% feedback and have been on there 6 years. I assume they must have some way of deleting negative feedback?

Hopefully I can fall back on a credit card chargeback if necessary. It's just a big pain and waste of time I guess that's why the scam works because most people give up.
Community Updates
Buying From Abroad
24 Comments
What is the item on Aliexpress ?
Gave up on ebay because of the hassle with Chinese drop-shippers, then packed AliExpress in late last year as not being sent an entire order and "we'll credit on your next order" was becoming all too common. There were some great sellers that I used several times, but they seemed to disappear. It was never much missing - a quid's worth of goods here or there - but those 5%s soon added up, and it meant ordering again and waiting for it to arrive.

Having a similar problem with a Chinese seller on Amazon. I was sure I was buying from Amazon direct when I added the item to the cart but got called away before finishing shopping. Went back later, paid, and only then realised that 3 week delivery time wasn't an out of stock issue and it was coming from China. Wrong item, and the seller knows how to keep bumping the Amazon system so that a claim can't be filed.

Everyone wants to make a fast buck.
TobyZ30/07/2020 18:39

A specific lens mount.
TobyZ30/07/2020 18:39

m.aliexpress.com/item/4000938738690.html

Do NOT buy, this seller is a scammer (just in case lol)

I have a feeling I would actually end up with the item I wanted if I played along with the seller, just it would cost me twice as much as I'd originally thought.
Edited by: "anewman" 30th Jul
Aliexpress and Bangood are on my personal Ban list. Had no positive experience with them despite ordering a few different items. Stuff rarely turns up, or they have the wrong address on them so it makes retrieving the item difficult. Other retaillers have been banned from HUKD for less, i can only presume the affilate payments are significant for them not to be banned!
Most are. They use pictures of better quality items and then always ship inferior quality. This isn't always the case, especially not for big/popular items like scooters..etc.
anewman30/07/2020 18:44

m.aliexpress.com/item/4000938738690.htmlDo NOT buy, this seller is a …m.aliexpress.com/item/4000938738690.htmlDo NOT buy, this seller is a scammer (just in case lol)I have a feeling I would actually end up with the item I wanted if I played along with the seller, just it would cost me twice as much as I'd originally thought.

Is this a similar item ? aliexpress.com/ite…03_
which also has reviews, or this one ?
aliexpress.com/ite…668
"But then another message saying because of shipping times they will have to cancel"
The shipping time can be increasd by both the seller and the buyer.

Have you paid by Paypal ? if not then they should refund you by the same method you used during the purchase.

If you paid directly by card, then you should open dispute and bring evidence the ring which shows clearly that is not matching the one from screen captures on seller's webpage.
TobyZ30/07/2020 19:16

Is this a similar item ? …Is this a similar item ? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32338057590.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.2585473fsotZsj&algo_pvid=c7d0e4eb-b473-494d-a806-69707fae1d84&algo_expid=c7d0e4eb-b473-494d-a806-69707fae1d84-18&btsid=0b0a3f8115961326941818037eeb98&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_which also has reviews, or this one ? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32741884718.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000014.4.5a585f2ebT3OOX&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreOtherSeller&scm=1007.13338.170725.0&scm_id=1007.13338.170725.0&scm-url=1007.13338.170725.0&pvid=4e23011d-67ae-4e7f-9368-1ec209638562&_t=gps-id:pcDetailBottomMoreOtherSeller,scm-url:1007.13338.170725.0,pvid:4e23011d-67ae-4e7f-9368-1ec209638562,tpp_buckets:668#0#131923#0_668#808#7756#642_668#888#3325#18_3338#0#170725#0_3338#3142#9890#7_668#2846#8116#953_668#2717#7564#678_668#1000022185#1000066055#0_668#3422#15392#778

Similar but it's not an original Sony part. Investigated various items and chose the original Sony part. Can just as easily get a cheapie off Amazon smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/…3HS
TobyZ30/07/2020 19:21

"But then another message saying because of shipping times they will have …"But then another message saying because of shipping times they will have to cancel"The shipping time can be increasd by both the seller and the buyer.Have you paid by Paypal ? if not then they should refund you by the same method you used during the purchase.If you paid directly by card, then you should open dispute and bring evidence the ring which shows clearly that is not matching the one from screen captures on seller's webpage.

AliExpress does not allow payment by PayPal. Their offer of a paypal refund shows they're scammers. Otherwise they'd have just hit the "refund" button on the order page they as the sellers see.

If shipping times are that bad, how come the first item arrived in 5 days?!
anewman30/07/2020 19:25

AliExpress does not allow payment by PayPal. Their offer of a paypal …AliExpress does not allow payment by PayPal. Their offer of a paypal refund shows they're scammers. Otherwise they'd have just hit the "refund" button on the order page they as the sellers see.

Deluded rubbish.
Two examples below do not imply any specific seller is or is not a scammer; simply indicates PP is an option on some / most (?) AE transactions.

Today July 2020
41537999-HO4Fm.jpg
Aug 2019
41537999-o7u04.jpg
Why would they offer a refund by PayPal when they just need to click the "refund" option on the order page.

How is a picture showing US dollars relevant here?
AndyRoyd30/07/2020 20:22

Deluded rubbish.Two examples below do not imply any specific seller is or …Deluded rubbish.Two examples below do not imply any specific seller is or is not a scammer; simply indicates PP is an option on some / most (?) AE transactions.Today July 2020[Image] Aug 2019[Image]

reddit.com/r/A…are
anewman30/07/2020 20:29

You're the deluded one. Why would they offer a refund by PayPal when they …You're the deluded one. Why would they offer a refund by PayPal when they just need to click the "refund" option on the order page. You need your head checked.How is a picture showing US dollars relevant here?

You appear to have ignored the salient point being made, so to repeat: "...simply indicates PP is an option on some / most (?) AE transactions" which is a simple rebuttal of the clearly rubbish "AliExpress does not allow payment by PayPal."
anewman30/07/2020 20:29

...How is a picture showing US dollars relevant here?

Lol. Because USD is the default currency
Must admit I've only ever bought cheap stuff from AE, phone cases, screen protectors etc but must have done 50+ orders over the years. Every single one has arrived (sometimes after months!) And all have been as described.

Guess I must have been lucky
AndyRoyd30/07/2020 20:42

Lol. Because USD is the default currency

PayPal don't offer USD discounts in the UK.
AndyRoyd30/07/2020 20:37

You appear to have ignored the salient point being made, so to repeat: …You appear to have ignored the salient point being made, so to repeat: "...simply indicates PP is an option on some / most (?) AE transactions" which is a simple rebuttal of the clearly rubbish "AliExpress does not allow payment by PayPal."

At what point did I say PayPal payment as an option is a scam? I didn't. I said offering PayPal refund when PayPal was not used as method of payment. You need a reading comprehension test for 3 year olds. I clearly said the seller offered refund by PayPal. As in they would need my PayPal address.
anewman30/07/2020 20:54

At what point did I say PayPal payment as an option is a scam? I didn't. I …At what point did I say PayPal payment as an option is a scam? I didn't. I said offering PayPal refund when PayPal was not used as method of payment. You need a reading comprehension test for 3 year olds. I clearly said the seller offered refund by PayPal. As in they would need my PayPal address.

You didn't. Your exact quote is:
"AliExpress does not allow payment by PayPal"
and that comment has been shown to be rubbish.
anewman30/07/2020 19:25

Similar but it's not an original Sony part. Investigated various items and …Similar but it's not an original Sony part. Investigated various items and chose the original Sony part. Can just as easily get a cheapie off Amazon https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LYC7HON/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ebXiFbPBKH3HS

Almost certainly that item wasn't original either.
On top of that, WHY do you need an "original" part, IF the original part failed in the first place ? Maybe Sony is sometimes garbage ? My two cents go for a copy and if it fits, use that one.

Some sellers on Aliexpress do not accept Paypal.

To recover your money you have to act fast. Open a dispute on the product order page with a message like:

To whom it may concern,
The seller did not sent the advertised product. I bring as evidence a picture with the item I received and a screen capture of the advertised item on seller's webpage. Furthermore I also add to this message a screen capture of the seller's message in which he confirms this mistake.
I request full refund.
Regards,
XYZ

The pictures/screen captures must be clear, with details about seller (if screen capture).

The seller has several days to respond; what he says it's irrelevant as long as he cannot attack the dispute with evidence. It seems there is none against you. You wait and if the seller doesn't accept the dispute, Aliexpress enters the game and you'll have to wait a little more or less depending on how stubborn is the seller. In the end, the money is yours.
Edited by: "TobyZ" 30th Jul
TobyZ30/07/2020 22:09

Almost certainly that item wasn't original either.On top of that, WHY do …Almost certainly that item wasn't original either.On top of that, WHY do you need an "original" part, IF the original part failed in the first place ? Maybe Sony is sometimes garbage ? My two cents go for a copy and if it fits, use that one.Some sellers on Aliexpress do not accept Paypal.To recover your money you have to act fast. Open a dispute on the product order page with a message like:To whom it may concern,The seller did not sent the advertised product. I bring as evidence a picture with the item I received and a screen capture of the advertised item on seller's webpage. Furthermore I also add to this message a screen capture of the seller's message in which he confirms this mistake.I request full refund.Regards,XYZThe pictures/screen captures must be clear, with details about seller (if screen capture).The seller has several days to respond; what he says it's irrelevant as long as he cannot attack the dispute with evidence. It seems there is none against you. You wait and if the seller doesn't accept the dispute, Aliexpress enters the game and you'll have to wait a little more or less depending on how stubborn is the seller. In the end, the money is yours.

Part received and part shown appear to be genuine Sony. For some stupid reason Sony made the mount on certain cameras plastic. The mount from the A7S is made of metal and can be used to replace the plastic one. Reason to go for genuine Sony metal one, over cheap metal one, is reviews for cheap ones often mention issues with machining tolerances. Some leading to focusing issues. Some making it difficult to remove the lens.

If you look at other parts sold by same seller they're so specific it seems highly improbable they'd be fake. Plus they have 100% feedback and have been a seller for 6 years. Kind of knew when I bought was taking a risk, but based on available evidence was hopeful.

When I've got my refund will definitely be leaving negative feedback.
AliExpress is great for free tat. Order, wait months and nothing shows up, complain, get refund, item turns up,

Seriously though, stuff never arriving is the only problem I have had with them over 100's of orders. Always get a refund, no faffing about.
If they send the wrong thing - refund.
Item didn't arrive in specified time (or at all) - refund.
Item faulty - refund.

Never had any hassle with this, remember the seller doesn't get your money until you confirm you recieved the item.
Satan_Claws31/07/2020 07:40

AliExpress is great for free tat. Order, wait months and nothing shows up, …AliExpress is great for free tat. Order, wait months and nothing shows up, complain, get refund, item turns up, Seriously though, stuff never arriving is the only problem I have had with them over 100's of orders. Always get a refund, no faffing about. If they send the wrong thing - refund. Item didn't arrive in specified time (or at all) - refund. Item faulty - refund.Never had any hassle with this, remember the seller doesn't get your money until you confirm you recieved the item.

I have only ordered about 15 items from them and never had any bother either, everything has turned up, even if some did take 2 months, so I guess I have been lucky. Lets hope the current orders turn up, now i have said that
Think i have ordered hundreds of items from there probably into the thousands of pounds. Not only have i got what i wanted 90% of the time, I have also got my money back easily if the item is defective or didn't turn up.
I do recall one seller offering a part refund for some item which i can't recall but i just said no either replace or refund and i was refunded within a few days certainly less than a week.
On the other hand my cousin bought a Sony TV from curries which had a intermittent fault, Took over a year before the finally replaced the set, This was a year filled by excuses, accusations and instructions and hoops for my cousin to jump through before finally swapping the set.
Shame for Curry's and Sony as he had always bought from them and now he will avoid both.
Reason for mentioning cousin's story - Well i have never had the terrible service from Ali-Express nor indeed Ali-babba that he has had using "respected" high street vendors and respected manufacturers.
Post a comment
@
    Text