Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

All in One Desktop PC Advice

Posted 17th Aug
We are looking for a PC that is built into the monitor. Is there a certain website that would stock this type of thing cheaply ? Are these still recommended ? Somewhere around £100 ish. I don't know if this is optimistic.

We have a laptop each, but wanted a shared PC too.

For normal day to day stuff and browsing. Windows 10 preferred. Website/Model suggestions greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
The basic concept of combined screen+PC at £100 is called an Android tablet.
If you have usb C on your laptops then you could get a USB C hub with hdmi out.

- £19.98 on amazon

41686763-8f11C.jpg
Get keyboard and mouse with a USB dongle and put it in the hub.

Get a decent monitor with hdmi input.

You can now use each of your laptops, "docked" with this adaptor, as if they were a desktop.

If you don't have usb C then you could get an ordinary USB dock for about £45

41686763-JSRP7.jpg

For an all in one pc, you are looking at over £100 unless you can get one second hand.
Edited by: "Helpful567" 17th Aug
Helpful56717/08/2020 15:58

If you have usb C on your laptops then you could get a USB C hub with hdmi …If you have usb C on your laptops then you could get a USB C hub with hdmi out. - £19.98 on amazon[Image] Get keyboard and mouse with a USB dongle and put it in the hub.Get a decent monitor with hdmi input.You can now use each of your laptops, "docked" with this adaptor, as if they were a desktop.If you don't have usb C then you could get an ordinary USB dock for about £45[Image] For an all in one pc, you are looking at over £100 unless you can get one second hand.

Thanks. I think we'll look into this as an alternative.

Don't mind used. We did see an all in one used for £100 in Cash Converters, but unsure how far their testing goes.
I mean you would struggle to even find a decent tablet at this price... I would try and save up and up your budget if you can.
Hull-Tommo17/08/2020 16:40

Thanks. I think we'll look into this as an alternative.Don't mind used. We …Thanks. I think we'll look into this as an alternative.Don't mind used. We did see an all in one used for £100 in Cash Converters, but unsure how far their testing goes.

I'd go with the dock option as @Helpful567 outlines above. Might prefer an upright model though, e.g. ebay.co.uk/itm…643

Otherwise, to keep to a modest budget (but not <£100 total!) and very small physical footprint, it's worth considering a Tiny PC (such as Lenovo M93p Tiny PC - ebay advert here) and a larger monitor than you'd probably get for an all in one. E.g. this 24" Philips (ebay advert), often down to ~£84 when ebay have vouchers out (like last week). If either the tiny PC or monitor fail on you at any point you're also not as screwed as you may be with an all in one. You can even get a mount to put that Lenovo on the back of a screen.

41688104-vJzD6.jpg
Edited by: "morgie" 17th Aug
itzoo often gets a load of all-in-one PCs in, though I'd avoid the likes of this Viglen AIO which is not a true all-in-one as we know it.
louiselouise17/08/2020 18:42

itzoo often gets a load of all-in-one PCs in, though I'd avoid the likes …itzoo often gets a load of all-in-one PCs in, though I'd avoid the likes of this Viglen AIO which is not a true all-in-one as we know it.

That was a shocking model. Was the monitor stuck on with blu-tack ?

Yes I was thinking of one of these types of websites, but couldn't think of the name. I see the towers listed on HUKD quite often via itzoo. So thought I might source a bargain.
morgie17/08/2020 18:26

I'd go with the dock option as @Helpful567 outlines above. Might prefer …I'd go with the dock option as @Helpful567 outlines above. Might prefer an upright model though, e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plugable-USB-3-0-2-0-Dual-output-Universal-Dock-HDMI-DVI-VGA-for-Windows-10/114348995643Otherwise, to keep to a modest budget (but not <£100 total!) and very small physical footprint, it's worth considering a Tiny PC (such as Lenovo M93p Tiny PC - ebay advert here) and a larger monitor than you'd probably get for an all in one. E.g. this 24" Philips (ebay advert), often down to ~£84 when ebay have vouchers out (like last week). If either the tiny PC or monitor fail on you at any point you're also not as screwed as you may be with an all in one. You can even get a mount to put that Lenovo on the back of a screen.[Image]

Yes, something like that could be a good option. Surely I could source a universal bracket to hang it off the back of a good sized monitor.
Hull-Tommo17/08/2020 19:37

Yes, something like that could be a good option. Surely I could source a …Yes, something like that could be a good option. Surely I could source a universal bracket to hang it off the back of a good sized monitor.

The Lenovo official ones are reasonable in price (~£20), e.g. lenovo.com/gb/…161 Just make sure it's the right one for the particular model of Lenovo Tiny ThinkCentre model that you go for.
Edited by: "morgie" 17th Aug
morgie17/08/2020 19:49

The Lenovo official ones are reasonable in price (~£20), e.g. …The Lenovo official ones are reasonable in price (~£20), e.g. https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/accessories-and-monitors/tiny-accessories/tiny-brackets/MECH-BO-Tiny-VESA-Mount-II/p/4XF0N03161 Just make sure it's the right one for the particular model of Lenovo Tiny ThinkCentre model that you go for.

Might take a punt on a mini one from CEX as I have some vouchers sitting around. Then hopefully pair it with a mount from Lenovo (I'll check Lenovo as I go, before buying from CEX).

Thanks for the help.
Post a comment
@
    Text