All In One PC

Found 12th Jan
Can anyone recommend a good All In One PC please? I run a small business. I keep buying laptops and they don't last very long.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
14 Comments

What exactly do you mean by they won't last very long? We talking a year, 5 years? How do they break?

I wouldn't recommend an all-in-one, they tend to be overpriced. You're probably better off with a regular desktop.

Original Poster

bjrosl4 m ago

What exactly do you mean by they won't last very long? We talking a year, …What exactly do you mean by they won't last very long? We talking a year, 5 years? How do they break?I wouldn't recommend an all-in-one, they tend to be overpriced. You're probably better off with a regular desktop.

Well after a couple of years they get really slow and stop working basically.

Get slow? Does it heat up? Sounds like a build up of dust is to blame. Could also be a build up of crap software.

Dealing with dust:

Try opening up the keyboard (easy, usually one screw) and open the cd/dvd drive. Then get a can of air duster (£2) and just blow away the cobwebs. Take your time and try to spray liberally everywhere.

If you're going to ditch your old laptop anyway and not up for a proper clean, just vacuum near the fans for a while. Put it on a low setting. That should at least make some difference.

Dealing with crapware:

Backup all your important documents onto a usb drive (£5). Reinstall windows and the other apps you need. Copy your documents back over.

i have had several laptops and they keep on going and going even when i plan to chuck them out after 4 years, they continue to work!

you are not using the laptop correctly or you are not cleaning the software so it gets clogged up.

Original Poster

bjrosl52 m ago

Get slow? Does it heat up? Sounds like a build up of dust is to blame. …Get slow? Does it heat up? Sounds like a build up of dust is to blame. Could also be a build up of crap software.Dealing with dust:Try opening up the keyboard (easy, usually one screw) and open the cd/dvd drive. Then get a can of air duster (£2) and just blow away the cobwebs. Take your time and try to spray liberally everywhere.If you're going to ditch your old laptop anyway and not up for a proper clean, just vacuum near the fans for a while. Put it on a low setting. That should at least make some difference.Dealing with crapware:Backup all your important documents onto a usb drive (£5). Reinstall windows and the other apps you need. Copy your documents back over.

Thanks. Will try that.

Original Poster

mutley139 m ago

i have had several laptops and they keep on going and going even when i …i have had several laptops and they keep on going and going even when i plan to chuck them out after 4 years, they continue to work!you are not using the laptop correctly or you are not cleaning the software so it gets clogged up.

Yes probably not doing something right.

What price range are you buying at? A 350-400 pound laptop should last a minimum of 5 years.

Original Poster

djdk29f_fkgk9dc3 m ago

What price range are you buying at? A 350-400 pound laptop should last a …What price range are you buying at? A 350-400 pound laptop should last a minimum of 5 years.

Yeah that's probably around the price I was thinking of.

Not sure what you mean by an all in one? Surely a desktop would be adequate for business use, more ram, more storage, more everything than a laptop.
Edited by: "jaketheplumber" 12th Jan

_pollyanna_4 h, 21 m ago

Yes probably not doing something right.

i use cc cleaner daily to clear junk off the laptop. i also use the laptop daily so upgrades are done automatically when they become available.

i find that if i leave a laptop in the cupboard and don't use it daily (as i have more than one and you can only use two at a time at most! ) then it runs like a dog when i get it out of the cupboard to use it as it has missed several updates.

do you use your laptop daily?

mutley115 m ago

i use cc cleaner daily to clear junk off the laptop. i also use the …i use cc cleaner daily to clear junk off the laptop. i also use the laptop daily so upgrades are done automatically when they become available.i find that if i leave a laptop in the cupboard and don't use it daily (as i have more than one and you can only use two at a time at most! ) then it runs like a dog when i get it out of the cupboard to use it as it has missed several updates.do you use your laptop daily?

CCleaner? The same software that distributed malware to users for a month? You're better of using the cleanup tools that come with windows. If you do use CCleaner stay far away from the registry cleaner portion because it does more harm than good.

Original Poster

BailOut12th Jan

CCleaner? The same software that distributed malware to users for a month? …CCleaner? The same software that distributed malware to users for a month? You're better of using the cleanup tools that come with windows. If you do use CCleaner stay far away from the registry cleaner portion because it does more harm than good.

Yes I use it every day. It has been slow and didn't turn on the other day. I seem to need a new one every 2 years.
mutley112th Jan

i use cc cleaner daily to clear junk off the laptop. i also use the …i use cc cleaner daily to clear junk off the laptop. i also use the laptop daily so upgrades are done automatically when they become available.i find that if i leave a laptop in the cupboard and don't use it daily (as i have more than one and you can only use two at a time at most! ) then it runs like a dog when i get it out of the cupboard to use it as it has missed several updates.do you use your laptop daily?

BailOut12th Jan

CCleaner? The same software that distributed malware to users for a month? …CCleaner? The same software that distributed malware to users for a month? You're better of using the cleanup tools that come with windows. If you do use CCleaner stay far away from the registry cleaner portion because it does more harm than good.

BailOut12th Jan

Seems very odd that your laptop breaks after 2 years. I find they dont last as long if you are rough with them, so banging them about in a bag. I used to put the work laptop in a small trolley case with other stuff and drag it about the streets.

It got knocked about a bit. it wasnt mine but my employer so i didnt look after it. My husband doesnt look after his laptop and shove it inside his backpack with all his other stuff and that affected the laptop.

Original Poster

mutley19 h, 51 m ago

Seems very odd that your laptop breaks after 2 years. I find they dont …Seems very odd that your laptop breaks after 2 years. I find they dont last as long if you are rough with them, so banging them about in a bag. I used to put the work laptop in a small trolley case with other stuff and drag it about the streets.It got knocked about a bit. it wasnt mine but my employer so i didnt look after it. My husband doesnt look after his laptop and shove it inside his backpack with all his other stuff and that affected the laptop.

Yes, knocking it around can cause damage I guess. I do use mine a lot and also my son used to knock them about a bit when he was younger. I think I need to try to get the dust out - as mentioned by a kind person on this thread. I think I store too many photos on it too so need to get those off.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions