All in one PC's

Found 3rd Sep 2017
Hi I am looking for an all in one PC for my parents and just wanted some advice really as I don't have a clue about what to look for!

Are they any good or are laptops better? They don't want a normal desktop PC as they want to save some space. Touchscreen isn't essential and basic is best (a computer that they won't be phoning me up about asking questions every hour would be great!)

They only really need it for surfing the web, maybe creating some documents and sending emails.

Budget of up to £700 but hopefully they should be able to get something that meets their needs for much cheaper. Any advice on models to go for or specs to look out for would be amazing as like i said I have no clue!

Thank you so much for your help, Ryan

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
15 Comments

You'd get an iMac 21" 2015 for less than that, possibly even a 27".

Original Poster

andynicol20 m ago

You'd get an iMac 21" 2015 for less than that, possibly even a 27".

Thanks for your suggestion, ill have a look!

I think you'll struggle to find a 27" iMac at that price even you go down the buying off Gumtree/eBay route. There's a few 21.5" ones out there - in terms of spec just go for the most powerful one you can find and make sure it's got the Fusion drive in it instead of a bog standard HDD - it'll boot up much more quickly. Also, avoid the 1.6 processor, it's like wading through treacle and if you are going down that route get the Retina screen - it's so much more pretty than the normal one.

An iMac is easier to operate and certainly less likely to chuck up a load of errors than anything running Windows, however, if they've used Windows computers for a long time then expect a load of questions to start with. That said, if you live anywhere near an Apple store then they run free courses for beginners who've "seen the light"

All in ones are more expensive than normal desktops for obvious reasons, so unless they're absolutely desperate for an all-in-one, you'd get better value for your money buying a small tower unit and sticking it under the desk.
Edited by: "Cakeboy79" 3rd Sep 2017

Original Poster

Cakeboy7914 m ago

I think you'll struggle to find a 27" iMac at that price even you go down …I think you'll struggle to find a 27" iMac at that price even you go down the buying off Gumtree/eBay route. There's a few 21.5" ones out there - in terms of spec just go for the most powerful one you can find and make sure it's got the Fusion drive in it instead of a bog standard HDD - it'll boot up much more quickly. Also, avoid the 1.6 processor, it's like wading through treacle and if you are going down that route get the Retina screen - it's so much more pretty than the normal one.An iMac is easier to operate and certainly less likely to chuck up a load of errors than anything running Windows, however, if they've used Windows computers for a long time then expect a load of questions to start with. That said, if you live anywhere near an Apple store then they run free courses for beginners who've "seen the light" All in ones are more expensive than normal desktops for obvious reasons, so unless they're absolutely desperate for an all-in-one, you'd get better value for your money buying a small tower unit and sticking it under the desk.

Cool, thanks for your help!

Considering their needs maybe you might consider something like the Cyclone Mini PC 2, I know this isn't what you asked for but they are so small you can stick them to the back of a monitor, I have the previous model running loads of stuff including a server and its still perfectly fine for every day tasks, mines handled everything I've thrown at it with ease, using mine with a Dell U2414H and its a perfect little set up.

You can get the 2GB RAM version for £119, 4GB RAM version for £156, previous model is below £100.

sumvision.com/pro…C2/

Original Poster

4Real201610 m ago

Considering their needs maybe you might consider something like the …Considering their needs maybe you might consider something like the Cyclone Mini PC 2, I know this isn't what you asked for but they are so small you can stick them to the back of a monitor, I have the previous model running loads of stuff including a server and its still perfectly fine for every day tasks, mines handled everything I've thrown at it with ease, using mine with a Dell U2414H and its a perfect little set up.You can get the 2GB RAM version for £119, 4GB RAM version for £156, previous model is below £100.http://www.sumvision.com/product/Cyclone-Windows-PC2/

Something to have a look at, thank you!

Cakeboy791 h, 28 m ago

I think you'll struggle to find a 27" iMac at that price even you go down …I think you'll struggle to find a 27" iMac at that price even you go down the buying off Gumtree/eBay route. There's a few 21.5" ones out there - in terms of spec just go for the most powerful one you can find and make sure it's got the Fusion drive in it instead of a bog standard HDD - it'll boot up much more quickly. Also, avoid the 1.6 processor, it's like wading through treacle and if you are going down that route get the Retina screen - it's so much more pretty than the normal one.An iMac is easier to operate and certainly less likely to chuck up a load of errors than anything running Windows, however, if they've used Windows computers for a long time then expect a load of questions to start with. That said, if you live anywhere near an Apple store then they run free courses for beginners who've "seen the light" All in ones are more expensive than normal desktops for obvious reasons, so unless they're absolutely desperate for an all-in-one, you'd get better value for your money buying a small tower unit and sticking it under the desk.

Re 27" - thats why I said 'possibly', unlikely, but bargains do pop up

A 21.5" would easily be picked up for below the OPs budget, could even save more going for an older model, but if they've budgeted up to £700, I'd try for a 2015>

Don't know how old your parents are or how tech savvy they are but from experience I'd stick to what they know so if they're used to windows then I'd go with that rather than an iMac. I also think an iMac is overkill for what they need, the most basic all in one will do what they need but you do pay a premium for them so if you can squeeze a desktop in then I'd try and do so.
Edited by: "Skaman" 3rd Sep 2017

Chrome book might be right up there street for their simple needs.

buy a nice 24 inch ips monitor for about 150
then buy a mini pc , and a good wireless keyboard and mouse
here is a link to a good quad core mini pc hotukdeals.com/dea…503
you will have change from 300 quid for a very nice pc. ideally add an ssd to increase hard drive space,to allow for the winodws updates, which would clog up a 32gb drive

mini pc can sit behind monitor, or even be attached to back of monitor

budget of 700 is far too much just to send emails
Edited by: "lumsdot" 4th Sep 2017

Original Poster

thank you all for your advice!

grifo1 h, 3 m ago

thank you all for your advice!

ps, looks like the mini pc i recommended is not so good (it overheats).
so ignore my advice (apart from the bit about buying a nice monitor)

lumsdot5 h, 16 m ago

buy a nice 24 inch ips monitor for about 150then buy a mini pc , and a …buy a nice 24 inch ips monitor for about 150then buy a mini pc , and a good wireless keyboard and mousehere is a link to a good quad core mini pc https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/acepc-ak1-mini-pc-intel-celeron-j3455-windows10-4gb-ddr3-32gb-emmc-1000m-lan-bt40-ssd-expansion-module-11833-gearbest-2767503#comment-31727083you will have change from 300 quid for a very nice pc. ideally add an ssd to increase hard drive space,to allow for the winodws updates, which would clog up a 32gb drivemini pc can sit behind monitor, or even be attached to back of monitorbudget of 700 is far too much just to send emails

Exactly what I already recommended, bought my cyclone as a temporary solution when my desktop died, it's been running faultlessly for four years, have never switched it off, super cheap to run. I'm running loads of stuff on mine, it's being used as a media server, also running XAMPP for other server needs and still functions perfectly as a desktop.

4Real20161 h, 26 m ago

Exactly what I already recommended, bought my cyclone as a temporary …Exactly what I already recommended, bought my cyclone as a temporary solution when my desktop died, it's been running faultlessly for four years, have never switched it off, super cheap to run. I'm running loads of stuff on mine, it's being used as a media server, also running XAMPP for other server needs and still functions perfectly as a desktop.

The mini PC I linked to has a j3455 celeron it's a lot faster than the atoms.
I'm using an Asus tinkerboard running Linux, attached to the back of my 2nd hand monitor.

lumsdot56 m ago

The mini PC I linked to has a j3455 celeron it's a lot faster than the …The mini PC I linked to has a j3455 celeron it's a lot faster than the atoms.I'm using an Asus tinkerboard running Linux, attached to the back of my 2nd hand monitor.

Yeah I'm well aware of the clock speed of the j3455, it certainly won't be faster though if it's being thermal throttled all the time in a passive system.

Kind of irrelevant for the type of usage outlined by the OP.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions