All in one printer thats reasonable quality but running costs are good?

Found 21st Jun 2017
Looking to replace my old worn out all in one printer (probably 10years+ old) and not too sure what to go for...
Looked at the Canon Pixma MG5750 that's currently on offer at pc world for £49.99 was £100 but the ink seems to be expensive to buy compared to my current printer...

Anyone have a suggestion of a all in one (print and scan is the main requirements, I don't use as a fax or anything else)...
TIA

15 Comments

Does it need to be colour? There are some decent laser printers, all in one, that have cheap toners that last yonks.

As above unless you need photo quality I would go for a laser printer as they don't dry out like inkjets.

How much printing do you actually do?
HP Instant Ink works well for me (and many others judging by posts on here)

£1.99pm for 50 pages £3.99pm for 100 pages,
those pages can be full colour photos if you so wish, it doesn't mattter what you actually print, cost is the same.
New cartridges are delivered as and when needed. you also get a fair amount of rollover pages in case you use some extra from time to time.

Usually a few deals around £50 for HP Envy Instant Ink all-in-Ones....
Edited by: "Uridium" 21st Jun 2017

I agree with Uridium, bought an HP Envy with the instant ink £1.99 per month plan and never looked back. Just looked on Currys and they have Hp printers from £29.99 with 2 months free instant ink plan but some printers for £59.99 come with free 5 month ink plan. You don't have to trigger the plan straight away and you can change the number of pages you need per month (and payment plan) online. No more worries about using ink as Hp monitors your usage and sends the ink out accordingly.

I picked up the HP envy from Currys Ebay for around £30 with 5 months ink at beginning of year. It's hopeless at photos but economical to run. Strangely the first lot of ink cartridges they sent me lasted only a couple of weeks, the second I'm still using despite printing tons of stuff whilst I still had the high page allowance. I'm now on the 30 a month which is much cheaper than buying cartridges. (the photo problem is that it refuses to print properly on any other photo paper than HP)

I can't print photos using generic photograph paper on mine, the ink is too wet and the photos come out blurred. But for general printing of documents and emails etc the printer works well. Being wireless is also a big plus.

Polar1

I picked up the HP envy from Currys Ebay for around £30 with 5 months ink … I picked up the HP envy from Currys Ebay for around £30 with 5 months ink at beginning of year. It's hopeless at photos but economical to run. Strangely the first lot of ink cartridges they sent me lasted only a couple of weeks, the second I'm still using despite printing tons of stuff whilst I still had the high page allowance. I'm now on the 30 a month which is much cheaper than buying cartridges. (the photo problem is that it refuses to print properly on any other photo paper than HP)

​My HP envy we bought just for photos and it has been great need to buy HP photo paper though

Uridium

How much printing do you actually do?HP Instant Ink works well for me … How much printing do you actually do?HP Instant Ink works well for me (and many others judging by posts on here)£1.99pm for 50 pages £3.99pm for 100 pages, those pages can be full colour photos if you so wish, it doesn't mattter what you actually print, cost is the same.New cartridges are delivered as and when needed. you also get a fair amount of rollover pages in case you use some extra from time to time.Usually a few deals around £50 for HP Envy Instant Ink all-in-Ones....

​Agree fully HP instant ink all the way

Original Poster

zippyantsuk7 h, 55 m ago

Does it need to be colour? There are some decent laser printers, all in …Does it need to be colour? There are some decent laser printers, all in one, that have cheap toners that last yonks.

Yes needs to be colour, not really fussed about photo quality but a reasonable quality is preferred, also I quite often scan stuff in so something that's a quick and easy interface for that would be good

Original Poster

Uridium

How much printing do you actually do?HP Instant Ink works well for me … How much printing do you actually do?HP Instant Ink works well for me (and many others judging by posts on here)£1.99pm for 50 pages £3.99pm for 100 pages, those pages can be full colour photos if you so wish, it doesn't mattter what you actually print, cost is the same.New cartridges are delivered as and when needed. you also get a fair amount of rollover pages in case you use some extra from time to time.Usually a few deals around £50 for HP Envy Instant Ink all-in-Ones....

unfortunately my printing is sporadic, I can go for weeks possibly months without the need to print anything but sometimes have to print several medium size documents in one go... so not sure a month by month plan would be appropriate

HP Instant Ink is great. I'm very happy with it. Use the code FREEINK to get an extra free month plus if you can get a referral code from another user you and they get another free month. Any questions, drop me a PM.

I have a brother. non wireless model. mfc5860cn. buy inks from eBay. compatible cartridges just as good. non chip on them. had for years still going strong. does the job and it's an all in one. bit old now though may be hard to find. check out ink options first before deciding machine.

TargetJoker

unfortunately my printing is sporadic, I can go for weeks possibly months … unfortunately my printing is sporadic, I can go for weeks possibly months without the need to print anything but sometimes have to print several medium size documents in one go... so not sure a month by month plan would be appropriate

You get get a roll over with InstantInk, so on the £1.99 plan you can have upto 100 pages available if you haven't used it in the previous month. Also, Inkjet cartridges don't respond very well to long periods of inactivity - my previous HP printer frequently dried out or clogged up with lack of use but with InstantInk you are less worried about printing the odd page and keeping the ink fresh.
Aside from all that, even if you don't use all your allocated pages, I doubt you can get two official HP (or Epson) cartridges per year for £24.

This HP comes with 1yrs worth of 50ppm Instant Ink included

pcworld.co.uk/gbu…tml

I know this post is a few weeks old but an I ask people with instant ink a question. How does the roll over work, say I don't use my pages in month 1 or month 2 would the pages from month 1 roll over to mont 3, or would I loose them?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions