Groups

all season duvets

Looking at getting new duvets for us and the kids ... Is it worth getting all season rather than diff togs ? which is better duck or goose filling? Also needs to be anti allergy .... Any advice would be appreciated . Thank you in advance

14 Comments

All season are better in my opinion, but you can have neither goose or duck if you want anti allergy

Original Poster

mosskeeto

All season are better in my opinion, but you can have neither goose or … All season are better in my opinion, but you can have neither goose or duck if you want anti allergy

Thanks for reply ...I've seen some ( downland) say anti allergy on them ?

Try ikea tog 6-7 excellent stuff

coopern1

Thanks for reply ...I've seen some ( downland) say anti allergy on them ?

Really? My wife has a bird allergy and feather pillows bring on an asthma attack so I guess it depends what allergies you are concerned about.

It depends on your home, really. Our place is naturally hot most of the time so we used to use a 4.5tog year-round, though this spring we found a 2tog, which we may also end up using year-round.

Original Poster

mosskeeto

Really? My wife has a bird allergy and feather pillows bring on an asthma … Really? My wife has a bird allergy and feather pillows bring on an asthma attack so I guess it depends what allergies you are concerned about.

My daughter has eczema and my son hay fever ... I've just always brought anti allergy ?!! You've got be thinking if maybe not the best duvets to get them ! Thank you

Original Poster

mattsokolinski

Try ikea tog 6-7 excellent stuff

Thanks for reply - had ikea before , didn't like them at all

Fogerty do an all season duvet......you actually get 2 duvets (3tog+9tog or something like that)
    You can keep the light one on summer, the heavier one during mid season and then stick them together (buttons on corners) for the winter
    They are normally expensive but you can get them from debenhams during the 70% sale
    Edited by: "NuffinisFree" 7th Sep 2016

coopern1

Is it worth getting all season rather than diff togs ?

Do the press-studs to join them together both you more than the slight extra bulk of having to store a 13.5tog instead of a 9 tog in the summer?

coopern1

which is better duck or goose filling?

Generally duck feathers & down are heavier than goose for the same amount of insulation. Whether a light and fluffy or heavy and snug quilt is preferred is personal preference.

A feather and down quilt (mostly feather with a bit of down for padding) will be heavier than a purely down quilt and typically cheaper.

Top quality goose down can run into the hundreds for King Sized/Super King.

There are plenty of other fillings too such as Wool, Hollowfibre, Microfibre and Silk.

coopern1

Also needs to be anti allergy

Which allergen are you trying to avoid?

All seasons duvets are wonderful.

I would go for a duck down one. Look really carefully at the description as sometimes when they say 'duck down & feather' what it actually means is 5% down and 95% feather. They're naughty with the descriptions sometimes.

I can highly recommend the John Lewis 'special price' goose down ones, it's the usual JL quality but a lot cheaper. The only problem is they only have them during their 'special price promotions' (usually January). They aren't sale items, they're specifically made for the special price promotion and have slightly different labels to the normal ones.

For children though, duck down is perfectly lovely and will last them well.

coopern1

Is it worth getting all season rather than diff togs ?

coopern1

which is better duck or goose filling?

coopern1

Also needs to be anti allergy

I'd rather duck down than goose feather and down.

Then going up in price significantly you have the goose down ones, but as the duvet covers are for children I'd say duck down would be indulgent enough X)

I use an all season duvet - 13 tog Goose feather and down.

Goose is better than duck down, try and get one with more down than feather, feathers are annoying and can come out, and aren't as warm as pure down.

Original Poster

Thank you everyone , You've all been loads of help

My life has improved since we bought our last duvet, it's hot on my side of the bed and cold on hers :-)
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Deleting chats on Facebook Messenger1011
      2. Virgin Media - what is a good price?616
      3. GAP Insurance Recommendations22
      4. cats and royal canin biscuits1019

See more discussions