Expired

All you 20 somfinks......

46 replies
Found 15th Dec 2014
Recent very unexpected surgery, now home from hospital.

I have 3 daughters and they have all said for me to forget pressies for them this year. They are coming and doing all the food etc but I am feeling so guilty and I can't do nothing. One is a student, other 2 in rented flats, min wages.

I am considering buying them all Boots gift vouchers for the normal amount I would normally spend, approx £100 each. At least they could then buy what they want.

Need some advice from the younger HUKDers here please and grateful for any alternative suggestions

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
46 Comments

what about a local shopping centre voucher that covers all the stores inside - which may include boots?

Amazon vouchers, you can virtually anything off there

Comment

mr321

what about a local shopping centre voucher that covers all the stores … what about a local shopping centre voucher that covers all the stores inside - which may include boots?

Agree with this suggestion, or you can give them the cash in a money wallet?

Take them all out for a big family meal in the new year?

Or, take them on holiday? Centerparcs? £300 would give you a nice weekend London with a show, wouldn't include food or drinks mind you, but if you stretched your budget it would be possible

i second amazon vouchers

2 X Crisp £50 notes each

I'm sure that spending time with you is all they want!! If you really do feel that you want to buy them something why not love to shop vouchers.. or post office do gift for all vouchers.. that includes..river island.. top shop. .boots ..super drug ..i also agree with monogram tho.. maybe a day out for all of you.. maybe a spa trip when you recovered .. Groupon always has great deals for trips/spa days xx

I recommend Amazon vouchers, or LoveToShop gift vouchers for the high street. Boots are very limited and most of the time overpriced

Amazon Voucher > Boots Voucher
Family day out or Experience > Voucher(s)

Go with the experience/meal thing: Spa day together via a Groupon deal or afternoon tea somewhere.

agree with cash. I get do many different vouchers from shops I don't shop in, its a nightmare.

Just give them the cash, they aren't restricted to certain shops then

monogram

Take them all out for a big family meal in the new year?Or, take them on … Take them all out for a big family meal in the new year?Or, take them on holiday? Centerparcs? £300 would give you a nice weekend London with a show, wouldn't include food or drinks mind you, but if you stretched your budget it would be possible

£300 wouldn't get you 20 minutes at Centre Parcs this time of year..

If you try your local post office they have vouchers that you can use in all the major stores so they can buy clothes as well. Called one4allgiftcard.co.uk check the website and you can see all the merchants they are valid for.

If it were me i would give them money , that way they can use it on what they want .

adam_holcombe

£300 wouldn't get you 20 minutes at Centre Parcs this time of year..

Well the OP has been unwell so i doubt s/he'll be going down the wild water rapids on Christmas day? Go out of school holidays (none of the OPs children are at school) and 4 can stay for about £250.

I personally wouldn't give them money... I'm 27 .. when i get money i never spend it on myself.. usually on kids or bills xx

Original Poster

Thank you all so much.

I know Boots is often overpriced, even with the points.

They can then chose alternatives with the Post Office card, clothes, make up etc.

I think giving cash would be a good idea they could then shop around for bargains in the January sales.

You obviously don't like advice from the "older hukd"
What have we done wrong
You can tell I am older I had to google what somfink was (nothing came up)

I'd give cash so they are not limited to one shop.

As a 25 year old girl on min wage who has also been a student i would recommend love to shop vouchers. That way your daughters can buy a variety of stuff they may want smellies, clothes, technology, books, shoes etc from different shops. I wouldn't give cash, it always gets spent on bills and food shopping. Hope that helps

love2shop vouchers are quite good can be used all over

starstar1989

As a 25 year old girl on min wage who has also been a student i would … As a 25 year old girl on min wage who has also been a student i would recommend love to shop vouchers. That way your daughters can buy a variety of stuff they may want smellies, clothes, technology, books, shoes etc from different shops. I wouldn't give cash, it always gets spent on bills and food shopping. Hope that helps

I would agree with this, im 25 and if I got cash I would use it on petrol etc rather then myself.

Money or high street vouchers. Don't just stick to boots vouchers. I would not spend them, preferring to go to cheaper alternative stores for stuff like that.

Hope you are on the mend soon and have a merry Christmas with your family

I bought a One4All card for my sister who loves all the clothes shops and never can decide on what she wants. You can use the card in over 17,000 retailers. You can buy it from the post office or online and have it personlised to suit them. Great idea so they can use different amounts of money in different shops instead of having to get it all from one place.

postoffice.co.uk/one…ard

or buy from the website: one4allgiftcard.co.uk/ret…tml

Some of the shops that you can use the card at:
Boots
Amazon
John lewis
BeaverBrooks
Debenhams
(Lots more on the website so have a look to see if it will suit them)

They can also use it on resteraunts and travel websites.

Hope this helps

"One is a student, other 2 in rented flats, min wages"

I would go with Amazon vouchers, or just take them out shopping in the January sales... Day out for everyone (or one at a time) and you get to see them buy what they need....

£50 voucher each and a family meal after new year

Cash! Can't go wrong

You should rest and not worry, seriously your daughters seem to understand that a gift at the minute is not important, what is important is your health and spending Christmas Day together and having quality family time.
If I was one of your daughters, I'd be more annoyed that you have gone out to get a gift voucher or money from the bank to give to me, rather than resting, which you should be doing at the minute.
You can always get them something in the new year once your feeling much better, and you shouldn't feel guilty for not being able to give them something for Christmas, after all you've looked after them your whole life, and they want to look after you now that your unwell.

Hope you rest and have a speedy recovery, and a lovely Christmas
And I'm in my mid 20's by the way.

Original Poster

Ellie Phant

You obviously don't like advice from the "older hukd"What have we done … You obviously don't like advice from the "older hukd"What have we done wrong :pYou can tell I am older I had to google what somfink was (nothing came up)

Nofink wrong but I feel 55+ are in the minority on this site. Your opinion is really valued.

It just wanted to invent my own language....!
Edited by: "iglimpse" 15th Dec 2014

Original Poster

Shazadi_786

Cash! Can't go wrong

Paid money into their accounts last year, as well as some presents but it seems the money was just absorbed on day to day living because none of them could pinpoint what they purchased

Original Poster

just1990

You should rest and not worry, seriously your daughters seem to … You should rest and not worry, seriously your daughters seem to understand that a gift at the minute is not important, what is important is your health and spending Christmas Day together and having quality family time. If I was one of your daughters, I'd be more annoyed that you have gone out to get a gift voucher or money from the bank to give to me, rather than resting, which you should be doing at the minute. You can always get them something in the new year once your feeling much better, and you shouldn't feel guilty for not being able to give them something for Christmas, after all you've looked after them your whole life, and they want to look after you now that your unwell. Hope you rest and have a speedy recovery, and a lovely Christmas And I'm in my mid 20's by the way.

Thank you so much. I am resting well and not setting foot outside door, perhaps I should have made clear that can only do online stuff...SORRY

I'd go with love to shop vouchers they pretty much cover every shop, so can be used for everything

Banned

Another vote for love to shop or Amazon vouchers, Boots are way over priced for many items. I dislike giving cash myself as presents for the reasons you and others give as it generally gets spent on other things than presents for themselves. I am sure they will be happy whatever you do and although most mums are not like this but think of them doing Christmas for you as just a tiny little bit of paypack for all the years you have looked after them and enjoy it as I am sure they will delighted looking after you so win win all round.

Hope you have a great Christmas with them and recover soon.

Get well soon!

get them all spa day vouchers and get one for yourself and make it a girls day out .

you can buy love2shop vouchers online, I personally wouldn't get Amazon vouchers (i have had amazon vouchers before and ended buying a toaster and some dvds!), as you can't use them for shopping in the highstreet sales after christmas. Trust me there is nothing better than shopping for clothes, jewellery, make up and not feeling guilty about spending money on yourself!

If they are all girls in the 20's I wouldn't get them love2shop as none of the Arcadia shops such as Topshop, Miss Selfridge or Dorothy Perkins accept these, I got some for christmas last year and couldn't use them. If there's a local shopping centre near you that does a voucher accepted in the shops in the centre I would say thats a better idea as they are not as limited.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Foo fighters presale code.1818
    2. Is this junction box wired properly??813
    3. Is there a way to add ethernet to MIFI device?22
    4. Do councils provide data when using a Data Collection company?56

See more discussions