Expired

Already a BT Broadband customer, want to upgrade to BT Infinity... wait for deals?

Found 2nd Aug 2013
Hello!

I'm a BT Broadband customer for my sins, BT Infinity is finally available in my area and I want it quite a lot! However I notice that all the offers which include £3 a month off for 12 months, a £50 Sainsburys voucher + £10 off in Topcashback are all for 'brand new customers only'. Have there been special offers for existing customers recently and should I wait for another one to come along, or should I just go for it? I currently get 3 meg a second and basically no upload, they've estimated that on Infinity I will get 36 meg a second and 9 meg upload so it would make a big difference.

1. Ask
  2. Broadband
8 Comments

Is there no other companies in your area that do Fibre optic to the level that bt are offering? like plusnet, talk talk, sky or virgin? although bt are very good, these other companies are good also and normally cheaper.

Original Poster

No, BT are the only ones where I live. They even managed to be able to charge more in my area for broadband than people getting 8 times the speed in city areas. Believe it or not getting BT Infinity at £23 a month would actually be a discount.

montblanc

No, BT are the only ones where I live. They even managed to be able to … No, BT are the only ones where I live. They even managed to be able to charge more in my area for broadband than people getting 8 times the speed in city areas. Believe it or not getting BT Infinity at £23 a month would actually be a discount.

I doubt that is true, try Plusnet and see if they will supply, they are owned by BT, but better, and cheaper.

jaggededge

Is there no other companies in your area that do Fibre optic to the level … Is there no other companies in your area that do Fibre optic to the level that bt are offering? like plusnet, talk talk, sky or virgin? although bt are very good, these other companies are good also and normally cheaper.

since when did TalkTalk become good?
trustpilot.co.uk/rev….uk
been a victim myself of TalkTalk, avoid DIRE..

Original Poster

Oh wow, surprisingly plusnet will supply (they never used to), but they want to switch me over to their line rental as well. On the plus side they are £3 a month cheaper and don't charge the £30 installation fee which is some man coming into your house and plugging the modem in. The negative side is switching line rental which can be a nightmare, and there are people in the house who would like BT Sport. Something to think upon.
Although Plusnet do get a lot of bad reviews too trustpilot.co.uk/rev…net I bet BT do too though! It seems everyone is bad!
Edited by: "montblanc" 2nd Aug 2013

longbowassassin

since when did TalkTalk become … since when did TalkTalk become good?http://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/www.talktalk.co.ukbeen a victim myself of TalkTalk, avoid DIRE..

I was just asking what other options they are, maybe I should have just left the good part out of what I wrote, I was trying to generalise between talk talk, sky, virgin and plusnet. I had talk talk when I was at uni until June 25th as it was the cheapest in our area, we had the 76mb deal, I used to get 40mb+ despite over 7 items being used at once at times. You are correct though their customer service is shocking, ours disconnected once and they just kept telling me to unscrew the Ethernet port which does nothing at all to fix it eventually they agreed to send a engineer but had to wait 5 days. If you get lucky and it doesn't break at all it's not that bad. Sorry though if it annoyed you in anyway by me putting good for talk talk.
Edited by: "jaggededge" 2nd Aug 2013

montblanc

Oh wow, surprisingly plusnet will supply (they never used to), but they … Oh wow, surprisingly plusnet will supply (they never used to), but they want to switch me over to their line rental as well. On the plus side they are £3 a month cheaper and don't charge the £30 installation fee which is some man coming into your house and plugging the modem in. The negative side is switching line rental which can be a nightmare, and there are people in the house who would like BT Sport. Something to think upon.Although Plusnet do get a lot of bad reviews too http://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/www.plus.net I bet BT do too though! It seems everyone is bad!

They have supplied customers on BT lines for as long as Broadband has existed. I was with them and left them in 2006.

As do many other smaller ( and better ) ISP's.

montblanc

Oh wow, surprisingly plusnet will supply (they never used to), but they … Oh wow, surprisingly plusnet will supply (they never used to), but they want to switch me over to their line rental as well. On the plus side they are £3 a month cheaper and don't charge the £30 installation fee which is some man coming into your house and plugging the modem in. The negative side is switching line rental which can be a nightmare, and there are people in the house who would like BT Sport. Something to think upon.Although Plusnet do get a lot of bad reviews too http://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/www.plus.net I bet BT do too though! It seems everyone is bad!

I've been having similar dilemma as you. Hopefully I'll be corrected if any HUKDs have gone through same issues, or have any answers. Good luck in making your decision.

I've been with Plusnet for a few years (unlimited broadband) and rate them highly (even though they're BT's sister company!). My phone line is with BT (line rental paid up in advance and with £5 unlimited anytime calls). I wanted to upgrade to Fibre Optic (arrived in my area about 3 months ago) and have been waiting for right deal. I've been told by both BT and Plusnet switching line rental and/or Broadband shouldn't be a problem as both sister companies.

Like you said Plusnet won't offer fibre optic without your landline, and I couldn't move Bt landline without a penalty. Much as I hated to leave Plusnet, I've taken the plunge and just signed up with BT Infinity 1, even though I just missed out a few good offers ending 1st August.

A few things I noticed
My Unlimited Any Minutes (currently pay £5) jumps up to £7 with infinity 1, the extra is for the half price landline to mobile charges (6p + 15p call set up! even though I don't need it).
BT Infinity 1 confirmation email says Landline comes to £15.45 per month, when in fact it should be the "paid in advance tariff of £11.75" until it runs out.
I use "call1899" for international calls much cheaper than BT, but I noticed in "infinity T & C" it said you'll be charged for using any provider that uses BT Line (even though it's been free with bt landline in past ).

Customer services BT or Plusnet?
It took me over 1 hour (20mins waiting and 40mins) trying to get a simple answer from BT Customer services (off shore) re above 3 queries. Unfortunately they weren't sure so I kept being put on hold or passed to other people. I'm still none the wiser and have asked for a written response (which I've been told can take up to 5 days!), not a good start. At least with Plusnet you had someone on end of phone who had the correct answers (uk Customer services); you used to get through almost immediately, but lately its been taking up to 15 mins.

BT Infinity 1 Deal (for new BB customer but with BT landline):
£378 for 18 month contract (£ £20x12months + £23x6 offer)
£50 Sainsburys cash back voucher
£6.95 for delivery Fibre Optic Moden
£9 for dual dongle (one off charge)
£7 pm Unlimited anytime calls
£15.75 for Landline (but should be £11.70 waiting for confirmation )
£40 one off Fibre Optic Connection/set up charge
Free BT sports channels (not HD - I missed the deal)
Free BT Wifi (hotspots)
Free BT Smart talk for 4 family members (I think you can get this anyway if you've BT landline)

If I'd stayed with Plusnet:
£14.50 Landline (moving from BT)
£329 for 18 month contract was open to negotiation if I'd stayed and moved landline (£9.99x3 + £19.99x15 Fibre Optic Broadband equiv to Infinity 2)
£5 Plusnet Unlimited Anytime Calls

Even though Plusnet and BT are sister companies -
I'm assuming if you move your landline from BT to Plusnet - you'll lose BT smart talk.
You don't get free sports channels.
You don't get Free BT Wifi

Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants